Suggestion for IEMs ($400-$500) budget
Mar 19, 2010 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Gorkem

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

I was all set on Sleek Audio SA6 and was about to buy. The biggest reason was going to be the W-1 wireless capability. Unfortunately, I read alot of negative comments regarding the build quality of these headphones. They changed the cable in 2009; however, it looks like the build quality problems still persists (see Head-fi Sleek Audio page). I heard that the Customer Service of SA is excellent and they give you a replacement should you have any problems. I really don't want to mess with all this so decided that I wait for a future SA product for wireless.

Now, I have a new challenge. I'm trying to find an IEM for budget around 400-500. This could either be just IEM or IEM amp combination (for combination i could probably push to 600ish).

I listen to Jazz (Chick Corea, Mavishnu Orchestra, Dave Brubeck etc.) as well as Hard/Psychedelic Rock (Pink Floyd, LedZep, etc.) , Alternative (Radiohead, Pearl Jam etc.) and Progressive Metal (Nightwish, Opeth, etc.)

I'm very new in this area and this will be my very first IEM. My previous headsets are Sennheiser PX-100, Bose QC2 (just for flights hehe), Sony MDR EX71.

I would very much appreciate your help on this!!
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 9
Under this budget you can buy any very high end universal IEMs like UM3x, ATH-CK100, E-Q7, SE530 and TF10Pro. But it willbe helpful to recommend you specific IEMs if you tell us about your source (DAP), the sound signature you preffer(like warm, neutral, bass heavy, mids forward) and you may need quality cable with AMPs to acheave the best out of portable setup. BTW i will recommend to save some more and go with JH13Pro custom IEMs( ultimate sound quality in IEMs and can compete with very high end full size headphones like HD800, Edition9).

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 9
I recommend Ortofon e-Q7 or Shure SE530 with custom tips. Both will do great for the types of music you listen to. e-Q7 can sound great with the universal tips, but SE530 requires custom tips to get the best out of them IMO. Both have a very musical, warm, natural sound with relaxed, non-fatiguing treble and gorgeous mids and bass. SE530 edges out the e-Q7 a bit in dynamic range, has a somewhat more even midrange and also sounds smoother. e-Q7 has tighter bass and perhaps somewhat better clarity. Both do vocals exceptionally well and e-Q7 does drums and bass exceptionally well too, even when the fit is not ideal. SE530 can sound sloppy and bloated in the bass with a poor fit, but with a good fit (with custom tips), the bass quality should be very nice too. Both sound great even out of cheap sources.

Mar 20, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 9
JH-5 is too easily overlooked, clearly because of the tall shadow cast by its bigger siblings. But imho, it beats all universal I've tried, which includes all of the above save UM3X. And this is based on the demo/universal version of JH-5. The final/custom should only be better.

Mar 20, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew H /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JH-5 is too easily overlooked, clearly because of the tall shadow cast by its bigger siblings. But imho, it beats all universal I've tried, which includes all of the above save UM3X. And this is based on the demo/universal version of JH-5. The final/custom should only be better.

I would have to agree, though i have never heard it, if i were spending 4-500 dollars on another iem, it would without a doubt be the JH5's

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 9
Westone 3 , with a good amp like the shadow , they sound more than amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back