Suggestion for a Sticky Note!
Apr 5, 2004 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bthall

100+ Head-Fier
For Newbies to this Forum, there are ZILLIONS of abreviations floating around here:

e.g.:
META PiMeta IC FS YHPM etc. etc.

How about a Thread where commonly used abbreviations are identified, and Newbiews can ask specific questions about certain abbreviations that they don't have a clue about.

BarryT

Apr 5, 2004 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 8
META-abbr. for amp,
CMOY-abbr. for amp after guy who designed it
IC-Interconnect
FS-For Sale
YHPM/YGPM-You have Private Message

Random others:
LOL-laughing out loud
AFAIK-as far as I know
ROFLMAO-rolling on the floor, laughing my ass off
IIRC-If I remember/recall correctly
What-what the fsck

WYLWCWT?
tongue.gif

Apr 5, 2004 at 6:09 AM Post #8 of 8
I get most of the acronyms around here, but what does occasionally bug me is when people talk about gear without being very specific. This happens quite a bit on various tech boards, because it's assumed everybody else knows what you mean (and MOST of the time they do). If I start a thread called "My new 650s are great!", do I mean Sennheiser HD-650s or Ultrasone HFI-650s, or some other unknown 650s? Usually it's clear from context, but sometimes it's not. People will tell a noob asking for a recommendation to "Go buy some 225s or an MS-1 or a pair of 580s" which is fine IF they can figure out what those are
smily_headphones1.gif
The other side of the numbers-only problem is "Hey man, this Perreaux is great! I really like the sound with my NEC and Nordosts." I doubt I'll change anyone's habits, but sometimes more info WOULD be helpful to those not in the know
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back