suggestion for a DAC?
Nov 23, 2008 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Dac4me

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I am looking for a DAC around $1000 (the lower the better) that would have the same sound characteristic as the Meridian 588 CD player.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Nov 23, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #2 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dac4me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
I am looking for a DAC around $1000 (the lower the better) that would have the same sound characteristic as the Meridian 588 CD player.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

the mytek stereo 96 is great. Amazing sound, top notch headphone amp..

MYTEK DIGITAL USA

dealers are

http://www.calistromusic.com/about.php

Atlas Pro Audio - Sebatron, Burgin McDaniel Komit, REQ2.2, Cascade Mics, FATHEAD, FATHEAD II, Empirical Labs DerrEsser, Focal Monitors, Purple Action, Purple ODD, Purple Biz, Rupert Neve Designs, Wunder CM7, Vintech Audio, Telefunken USA, Peluso Mics

Professional Audio Recording Equipment | Vintage King Audio | 248.591.9276

Nov 23, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 28
aaahhh ok. Just picked up the mhdt havana also with the western electric tube. just waiting for it to arrive
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ffrr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
id never buy anything that was made in taiwan or china, personally.

How do you feel about Japan and South Korea? Do all Asian countries produce poor quality, in your eyes, or just that one?

Nov 23, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 28
You may not buy anything made in Taiwan or China but most everything is going to have at least some Chinese made parts in it whatever you buy. BTW I guess you're not here to make any freinds by calling someone a dick, there's a lot of nice folks around this site unlike some other forums I've been to. I don't care what forum you go to, if you're new and you come on strong touting a product not too well known at least to that forum, some red flags are going to go up.

Phill

Nov 23, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #7 of 28
I've tried to steer clear of this controversy but seriously...

Mytek - apparently world's best DAC:

1580905430_4a61f1a9a4.jpg

MHDT Labs - the "cheap looking rubbish" from Taiwain/China:

para-usb004.jpg

rolleyes.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ffrr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have to say that I have never seen as many cheap looking components as I have on this forum.

id never buy anything that was made in taiwan or china, personally.

Lol. You don't seem to understand the world economy. EVERYthing is made in China/Taiwan/Korea due to cheap, relatively educated labor. Just because an American company funded it, doesn't mean it's not made in Asia. Same applies to Japanese companies making their stuff in America (auto companies).

Nov 23, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol. You don't seem to understand the world economy. EVERYthing is made in China/Taiwan/Korea due to cheap, relatively educated labor. Just because an American company funded it, doesn't mean it's not made in Asia. Same applies to Japanese companies making their stuff in America (auto companies).

Mytek products are all made by in Poland. no outsourcing. but yes,, as a rule, you are right. a lot of products are made abroad.

Nov 23, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 28
I guess more is better, eh?? Apparently the concept of keeping the path minimal as possible is lost on you. I bet those "MDHT" house brand capacitors are amaazing though...

Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried to steer clear of this controversy but seriously...

Mytek - apparently world's best DAC:

1580905430_4a61f1a9a4.jpg

MHDT Labs - the "cheap looking rubbish" from Taiwain/China:

para-usb004.jpg

rolleyes.gif

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #12 of 28
Some handbuilt, high quality DACs from China. Tyson is the only forum member AFAIK who has the best of the line from them. Down the line, if I can justify it, I'll get one and compare it to whatever I have currently.

Nov 24, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnaKinDV8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Clearly intended to create some noise. Hard not to see it as a marketing ploy despite all claims.
regular_smile .gif

donunus, would be very interested in your experience with the Havana.
smile.gif

I have limited experience with dacs but I will post my impressions of the havana in comparison to other jumps in performance from my amps, cans etc... to have some sort of frame of reference
normal_smile .gif

Nov 24, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #14 of 28
This guy at Hot Rod Audio Mods is a Stello dealer and he is selling the DA100 Signature at a great price. He will save you a lot of money on shipping. AudiogoN ForSale: Stello DA 100 Signature

Here is a review of the DA100 Signature that really sums up how I feel about mine. One thing I like best is the up sampling settings (Bypass)(24/96)(24/192), makes it real easy to get the right sound to match the quality of the recording. Good luck on your search.
Stello DA100 Signature DAC Review | Computer Audiophile

Nov 24, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This guy at Hot Rod Audio Mods is a Stello dealer and he is selling the DA100 Signature at a great price. He will save you a lot of money on shipping. AudiogoN ForSale: Stello DA 100 Signature

Here is a review of the DA100 Signature that really sums up how I feel about mine. One thing I like best is the up sampling settings (Bypass)(24/96)(24/192), makes it real easy to get the right sound to match the quality of the recording. Good luck on your search.
Stello DA100 Signature DAC Review | Computer Audiophile

not a bad way to go if you can afford it (@ the OP)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back