suggestion for a cheap pocket knife for...
Mar 4, 2006 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jumpinjohn1234

500+ Head-Fier
Could anyone recommend me a cheap ($30 of less) muti-functional pocket knife for me. I would like anything as long as it has a blade and scissors. I plan on sticking it on my keychian. All I've found is the leatherman micra and the basic victorinox. I would like to see if there are more options I am missing out on.

Thanks

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 12
don't forget to look up gerber as well. i got a gerber multitool, and that thing is pretty robust. the blade is useless, though, as are any blades in any multitool. the scissors portion is stiff and does an extremely good job of cutting pretty much anything.

and the squirt is essentially the same as the micra, except it's just a newer look and name (like the sr325i vs the sr325).

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #8 of 12
If you can do without the scissors get: http://www.knifesite.com/index.asp?P...OD&ProdID=2528

C28PBK.jpg

If you must have a scissor then take a look at: http://knifeoutlet.com/shop/10Expand...ctCode=GER8478

ger8478.jpg

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #9 of 12
What do you need to cut with scissors? Most are too small to be effective. The dragonfly is one of my favorite small knives. The other would be this one here:
productimages%5CCTO-B-BO589.jpg

They're both fantastic knives. Ergonomics go to the dragonfly except for the clip, cool factor and sd capability would go to the subcom f, I would imagine. I carry the subcom f, these days. Any of these knives would shear through any crude cutting you might do with a 1/2" long pair of scissors.

The subcom f has a shorter blade than the dragonfly but the cutting edge is just a smidge longer.

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #10 of 12
wow... that's small.

well, since everyone's saying "knives are cool", i'm going to add my $.02 for knives:

for $30, CRKT makes a decent bunch, as does Gerber. not only do they function well, they look pretty cool too.

or if you're willing to go uh... $100-120 over budget, get the benchmade 710 M2HS knife. that thing can keep an edge like you wouldn't believe.

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpinjohn1234
Could anyone recommend me a cheap ($30 of less) muti-functional pocket knife for me. I would like anything as long as it has a blade and scissors. I plan on sticking it on my keychian. All I've found is the leatherman micra and the basic victorinox. I would like to see if there are more options I am missing out on.

Thanks

Microtech Halo III...jk
very_evil_smiley.gif

These are the only viable options I am aware of. Go the Leatherman route as they're (nearly) indestructible.

Mar 5, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #12 of 12
Make sure you're clear about your local knife carry laws. Sub 2.5" blades are usually acceptable. There aren't that many keychain knives that are good. Besides the two I mentioned, I suppose you could add the spyderco jester and ladybug, but what's good about the dragonfly is that it afford you a comfortable full hand grip because of the integrated choil. The subcom is much shorter but it's wide and has a huge choil so your grip on the knife isn't going to go anywhere and the width makes it easier to control. I don't know of any benchmade that can do that, it's not the direction their knives take. Besides, the only benchmades in this ballpark are the pikas and mini-ambush, none of which are keychain sized and don't have the ergos of the dragonfly that mrarroyo linked. If you're going to move up out of the keychain world, then the options open up, but I still think the subcom f is worth owning because it's just too cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back