1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SUggested amps for AKG K340

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by guzziguy, Aug 12, 2006.
  1. guzziguy
    Hi All,

I just received a pair of AKG K340s that I bought from a fellow Headfier. For the moment, I'm enjoying listening to them driven by a Headfive amp. I suspect that this will not be a long term solution, so I need to consider other amps for them.

Tomorrow, I'm taking them to the SoCal Headfi Meet. Below is the list of amps expected to be there. Could you suggest which amps I should be sure hear with them. Also, feel free to suggest amps not on the list, though it will be harder to listen to them. [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your responses.

-ken

AMPS

Almarro
    (Almarro A205a MkII)
    Almarro A205A mkII in iPod White w/ 1/4 headphone output

Arcam

Cayin
    Cayin HA-1

Cute
    CUTE amps
    Cute amp
    Cute battery amp
    Cute Fubar USB soundcard

CMOY

Corda mk2

Dynamite
    Dynamite amp

Eddie Current
    Eddie Current EC-2A3
    Eddie Current HD12
    Eddie Current Zana Deux

Feel
    FEEL HP200SE
    G+W/Feel amps
    Feel HP100
    Grado
    Grado HPA-1

G+W T2.1A

HeadAmp
    Gilmore Dynamic V2 SE
    Aristaeus (headamp)(?)
    Headamp Balanced Gilmore Reference
    More to come

HeadRoom
    HeadRoom Balanced Max Headphone Amp, Ser# MX3MMA
    2 HeadRoom BitHead Headphone Amps
    HeadRoom Desktop Headphone Amp, Ser# D23MMSA
    HeadRoom Millett Hybrid HeadPhone Amp w/tubes , Ser# TD2D0SA
    2 HeadRoom Micro Amp, Ser# TM4
    Headroom Micro Stack

Larocco
    Larocco PRII

Little Dot Micro
    Little dots
    MINT amp
    LDM+
    LD2
    Little Dot II

Meier
    Meier HeadFive

Nuforce IA-7

RS Audio
    RSA Hornet
    Hornet
    RSA Hornet
    Stealth
    XP-7
    HR-2
    SR-71
    Raptor
    Hornet
    B-52

Rockhopper
    Rockhopper Pimeta
    Rockhopper Millet Hybrid

Rudistor
    Rudistor RP7lite

SinglePower
    Singlepower MPX3
    ES-1 (?)
    More to come

Sennheiser
    Orpheus
    HEV90 amp...just the HE90. (?)

Stax
    Stax Aperio Alpha 1

Xin
    Supermini-IV
    Xin SuperMini-3

2. phergus_25
    For a sub $200 option I think I read about the Little Dot II+ being sutible to push the K340s.

3. swt61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25
    For a sub $200 option I think I read about the Little Dot II+ being sutible to push the K340s.

I didn't think so, and I didn't care for the combo's synergy. The Darkvoice 336 is my favorite amp for the K340 so far. It has great synergy, great dynamics, beautiful bass control, a dead black background and just that little bit of warmth that they really need. It is $310.00 from China, check the Darkvoice thread for info. I would suggest trying the Singlepower MPX3, it won't have the oomph of the Darkvoice, but it will give you an idea of what tubes can do with this headphone. I have not heard any RSA amps except for the XP-7 which of coarse is nowhere near powerful enough, but try all the amps you can. I'm not the only one who loves the Darkvoice/K340 combo however.

4. a1rocketpilot
    The Darkvoice does work very well with it. It does give it some warmth, which is good for this phone. I would try the MPX3 and the Dynamight definitely. The more power, the better! Another amp that is good, though not listed there, is the M3. That amp does do quite well with the K340's. Post some impressions when you can!

Aditya

5. morphsci Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
    .... I have not heard any RSA amps except for the XP-7 which of coarse is nowhere near powerful enough, but try all the amps you can. I'm not the only one who loves the Darkvoice/K340 combo however.

The stealth drives my Headphile modded and recabled K340 very well. In fact it is currently the phone getting the most use around here [​IMG]

6. jp11801 Contributor
    These are the amps I would check out first for these heaphones, the Eddie Current stuff is my favorite but the dynamite should do a great job as my dynahi did a great job with 340s. While I was not crazy about the Cayin if it has been retubed I'd be curious. The Feel amp did a good job but not sure where you get these at a decent price, I would not pay over $600.

Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy
    Hi All,
    AMPS

Almarro
    (Almarro A205a MkII)
    Almarro A205A mkII in iPod White w/ 1/4 headphone output

Cayin HA-1

Corda mk2

Dynamite amp

Eddie Current EC-2A3
    Eddie Current Zana Deux

Feel
    FEEL HP200SE

HeadRoom Balanced Max Headphone Amp, Ser# MX3MMA
    HeadRoom Desktop Headphone Amp, Ser# D23MMSA

Raptor
    B-52

Singlepower MPX3

7. mrarroyo Contributor
    I would say: Singlepower, X-Can V3, or Mapletree Ear Purist + HD.

8. TheSloth
    Depending on what kind of K340 you have, various HeadRoom modules do an excellent job. Specifically, you want something with an '06 module, as that beefed up output stage is really what you want for a K340. For the stock K340, something with Max Modules is the way to go. If you have a Headphile Modded K340 in it's stock modded configuration, you might prefer Home Modules for something warmer and smoother.

Of course there are other amps, but other people will recommend those and these are all I really know about in detail.

9. derekbmn
    If the MPX3 is the SLAM version I can testify that it is a lovely combo ,if not and with only 6sn7's it wont have the grunt to do the 340's any justice.

10. philodox Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy
    HeadRoom Balanced Max Headphone Amp
    Singlepower MPX3
    Dynamite amp
    Eddie Current EC-2A3
    Eddie Current Zana Deux
    Stealth
    Raptor
    Eddie Current HD12

I would try those amps in that general order. Depending on what price range you are considering, it may be worth looking into the McAlister PL10 or PL12 as the PL10 was a great match with the K340's.

11. swt61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
    I would try those amps in that general order. Depending on what price range you are considering, it may be worth looking into the McAlister PL10 or PL12 as the PL10 was a great match with the K340's.

Not to mention Peter's prices are rediculously low for the caliber of amp you're getting.