Suggest some quality 7.1 Speaker sets
May 16, 2006 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Citat3962

New Head-Fier
Looking at an X-fi Sound card and I'd like some good 7.1 speakers to go with my new Senn HD555s.

I'm looking for presentation quality sound, Good Projection and Punchy bass..

My desktop is in a separated from our living room by some double doors and I'd like to be able to play music loud enough and clear to be heard in the other room.

Obviously I'm looking for an all in one solution utilizing the 3X3.5mm headphone jack layout on the back of the card.

Also I can't forsee myself spending any more than 250$ maybe 300$ if the stars are right.

I listen to Rock, Metal, DnB, Downtempo and I play tons of FPS games...... hence the Creative card.

Thanks guys!

May 16, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Citat3962
My desktop is in a separated from our living room by some double doors and I'd like to be able to play music loud enough and clear to be heard in the other room.

No matter how good the speakers are, they are not going to sound good through some double doors.

If you just want the sound to be heard in the living room, however muffled, then any set of speakers (except the really cheap ones that come bundled with the computer) will do.

Don't worry about the sound quality so much, you have those hd555s for that. Basically almost any set of 7.1 speakers will sound decent.

May 16, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #3 of 6
$250-300 is impossible for anything truly decent, you'd need a 7.1 receiver with half-decent speakers, i agree with zyxwvutsr, i would suggest a sub $100 7.1 Creative set, but why 7.1 and not 5.1 in which most surround is encoded?

May 17, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 6
Ya if the main concern is listening in another room, then just get one speaker that's loud. You can't hear any kind of channel definition through a wall.

If you just generally want surround speakers in that pricerange, get some Creative speakers. They have a couple lines, Megaworks and Gigaworks that are designed for computer sound. They are self amped and all. Not supprisingly, they work well with Creative's own soundcards.

Now just a warning quality wise, you've got to spend a lot more on speakers than on headphones to get the same result. My front speakers are like $1500 for a pair and they are maybe as good as my ATH-700 headphones and certinaly not as good as HD-600s fidelity wise. They of course give a much better soundstage, espically coupled with rear speakers so I use them instead for the most part, but you just have to be aware of the quality disjoint. If you spend $300 on headphones and $300 on a headphone amp, you've got a serup that is fidelity wise on par with $5000 speakers and a $1000 speaker amp or so.

There's nothing wrong with the Creative speakers, a friend has them and they are great for games, but don't expect $300 speakers to compete with $300 headphones.

In that pricerange, you really need to choose between surround and music. I'm not saying the 7.1 Creative speakers won't play music, I'm saying you may be dissatisfied. If you want curround for movies and gaming, they'll do well and you can't beat them at the price. If music is your main concern, you need to ditch the surround idea and just get two higher quality speakers. A good pair of bookshelf stereo speakers coupled with an amp.

May 17, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Razoramus
$250-300 is impossible for anything truly decent, you'd need a 7.1 receiver with half-decent speakers, i agree with zyxwvutsr, i would suggest a sub $100 7.1 Creative set, but why 7.1 and not 5.1 in which most surround is encoded?

Currently I have some 3++ year old Dell 5.1 Speakers which work for everything except they lack bass at higher volume..

I should have clarified. I can open the double doors... they wouldn't be closed if I was playing music.

The 555s are good for me but occasionally me and the ms. want open air music.

The more I'm thinking about this I just need to get my DVD/Surround sound audio plugged into my Sony Vaio. Currently I'm running the Video through an Svideo cable and I need to get some more RCAs and plug the RCA outs on the laptop docking station into the Aux RCA ins on the DVD player.

The Audio works through the TV currently..

This probably makes more sense than unnessisarily buying new speakers for my PC which I typically use headphones with anyway!
580smile.gif

May 18, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 6
If your shooting for pure music from the PC go with the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1s. Best computer speakers that I know of, and if you want the surround version they have a 5.1 verison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back