Suggest me :)
May 10, 2013 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

gofogo

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody.
I want to buy a new pair of headphone, I already have Beats Detox, I know that are VERY overpriced, but i bought just for fashon accessory, so now i want to buy a better headphone without looking so much at the estetic.
I like a lot how my Beats sound, just to give you an idea of what I'm into, so what you suggest?
I want them to be comfortable, well detailed sound, and don't matter a lot the price. It's also important that they have low impedance.
Something like vModa or AKG Tiesto? Really I don't know. Hope in some answer, thankyou:)

May 10, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #2 of 24
Hmm...

Quote:
• I like a lot how my Beats sound, just to give you an idea of what I'm into
• I want them to be comfortable
• It's also important that they have low impedance.

Sounds like you want a Denon AH-D600 (or AH-D7100 if price really doesn't matter).

May 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #3 of 24
Thank you for your answer :) , have those a lot of bass?
I really don't care to much about soundstage, I just want a well sounding headphone.
I also want to remember that I'm absolutely not an audiophile, so maybe 1200€ are a little bit too much for me, not because I can't afford, but I don't think I will notice so much difference.
Am I wrong?

May 10, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:
Thank you for your answer :) , have those a lot of bass?

Welcome!  Yeah, a whole bunch of bass! 
smile.gif

Quote:
I really don't care to much about soundstage, I just want a well sounding headphone.

Sounding well will always be a matter of opinion.  However, FWIW, the suggestions above don't exactly carry a classic audiophile signature - which is a balanced presentation favoring quality of bass over quantity of bass.  But since you said you were into the Beats Detox sound (essentially a Beats Pro sound), I chose some headphone with a lot of bass in them.

Quote:
I also want to remember that I'm absolutely not an audiophile, so maybe 1200€ are a little bit too much for me, not because I can't afford, but I don't think I will notice so much difference.

The AH-D600 (which has the same drivers as the AH-D7100 I believe) is only $399 USD, which winds up being about 300€ for you I think.  And I'm pretty sure you'll notice a difference.

If you're willing to let go of the "lot of bass" requirement, a whole new world will open up to you.  This might be something that you want to consider, especially since you already have a bassy headphone in your Detox. 

May 10, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #5 of 24
Without a doubt, if you want great bass, the Ultrasone Pro 900. Here is the owners' thread on Head-Fi so you can learn all about them: http://www.head-fi.org/t/527451/ultrasone-pro-900-appreciation-thread

You'll need an amp to drive them. Something like the FiiO E11 or C&C BH. Really would be worth carrying the amp with you to have these headphones. :D

May 10, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #6 of 24
gofogo, Ima bout to hi-jack your thread...
tongue.gif

Quote:

Hey, that's new sounding!  Don't think I'm familiar with that.  Have you had a chance to try it yet?

Also, maybe our favorite person can come in here and rec an HFI-580? 
wink.gif

May 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #7 of 24
Hey, that's new sounding!  Don't think I'm familiar with that.  Have you had a chance to try it yet?

Don't you check profile pages before you ask such questions? :p :D

Love the small size and battery life. My O2 is a little more transparent, but the portability of the C&C BH is just great and I enjoy the sound of it. It's not quite as revealing at the very high end as the O2, so it doesn't render as much sibilance in poor recordings. The sound field switch is fun (although not with HFI-780s--seems to cloud the soundstage). I don't use the bass boost on it.

Also, maybe our favorite person can come in here and rec an HFI-580?  :wink:

I'm not going to go there :)

May 10, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:
Quote:

Don't you check profile pages before you ask such questions?
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

DOH!  My bad... 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Love the small size and battery life. My O2 is a little more transparent, but the portability of the C&C BH is just great and I enjoy the sound of it. It's not quite as revealing at the very high end as the O2, so it doesn't render as much sibilance in poor recordings.

It could be a good compromise for me.  Neither my E5 nor E6 sound that great, and my O2 is just way too, um, not small.  Thanks for the heads up, gonna have to read that thread over. 
smile.gif

Quote:
The sound field switch is fun (although not with HFI-780s--seems to cloud the soundstage).

Messes with the S-Logic it seems... pity. 
frown.gif

Quote:
I'm not going to go there
smily_headphones1.gif

biggrin.gif

May 10, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #9 of 24
DOH!  My bad...  :p

It could be a good compromise for me.  Neither my E5 nor E6 sound that great, and my O2 is just way too, um, not small.  Thanks for the heads up, gonna have to read that thread over.  :smile:

Messes with the S-Logic it seems... pity.  :frowning2:

I don't use it with my Sansa Clip+, but I do like it with my Note 2 phone.

But aren't you looking at the X3? That will have the E17's amp built in. No need for headphone amp. That will be nice :D

May 10, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #10 of 24
Sorry, but i don't really want to use an amplifier.
Well, since i'm not an audiophile, so i don't really know exaclty how to explain, i try to explain better what i'm looking for

- Comfortable
- Low Impedance
I want not only to lister there is actually a bass, I want to feel it, i really don't know how to tell, maybe Beats Pro are excessive, but it's for make an idea.
Other things that i can't really explain, i really want a pair of headphone that brings me on "another level", but with some bass.
Sorry for my confused ideas :D

Anyway thanks you A LOT, your help is important for such a newbie like me :)

May 10, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #11 of 24
Well, you just described an Audio Technica ATH-W1000X pretty perfectly. Impressive sound that has good bass but not compromised elsewhere.

And they're quite beautiful to boot. At 42Ohm impedance and with sensitivity of 100dB SPL/mW, there really isn't any need for any serious amping. Even an iPhone can drive them to ear-splitting level.

I got mine for exactly that reason. No serious amping necessary to bring out the best.

May 10, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 24
I like them a lot, but again, are you sure that a non-audiophile like me can hear a difference from a cheaper headphone? I mean, not 50€ discount headphone, but around 400€.
600€ is even a good price, but worth for me?
Also i want to warn that i buy my music on iTunes.
Anyway, thank you a lot :) i like those 

May 10, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:
I like them a lot, but again, are you sure that a non-audiophile like me can hear a difference from a cheaper headphone? I mean, not 50€ discount headphone, but around 400€.

We can't actually say that you will (or will not) hear a difference because everyone is different right?  But know that there was a time when we were not audiophiles either.  We were not born this way.  Yet we could hear the difference.

I think it is a good sign that you think the Pros/Detox are not perfect.  If you thought they were perfect, then I think there would be little hope for you.  But you are here, so that at least shows you're aware that there is probably something better out there.

Quote:
But aren't you looking at the X3? That will have the E17's amp built in. No need for headphone amp. That will be nice
biggrin.gif

I'm all over the place right now, and not ruling anything out.  Ideally, I'd like to see someone do a full evaluation and write-up on the X3 before I make a call on that.  It's not that I don't trust Clie, but my understanding is that he's still throwing out initial impressions?

May 10, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:
I think it is a good sign that you think the Pros/Detox are not perfect.  If you thought they were perfect, then I think there would be little hope for you.  But you are here, so that at least shows you're aware that there is probably something better out there.

Well, as i said i bought them just for for an accessory, so now i want a real upgrade:D

May 10, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:
Quote:

Well, as i said i bought them just for for an accessory, so now i want a real upgrade:D

Excellent, you've definitely come to the right place IMO.  Both cel4145 and Bill-P have offered some excellent recommendations.  I would start with looking for some reviews of those headphones here on Head-Fi.  If you come across any audiophile terminology that you don't know, please feel free to look it up in the glossary.  And of course, we'd be happy to answer questions.  Have fun! 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back