SUGGEST AMP FOR BAYERDYNAMIC DT770 PRO 80
Dec 2, 2011 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

chetanappu007

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, 
I recently got these headphones. The reviews all suggest that they have good amount of bass. After trying them without an amp however i am not happy with the sound. please suggest a good amp for these which will improve the sound. My budget is 100$. I mostly use these headphones with a laptop and very rarely with an ipod.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 14
If only using with a laptop I say a fiio e10 usb dac.

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
Hello everyone, 
I recently got these headphones. The reviews all suggest that they have good amount of bass. After trying them without an amp however i am not happy with the sound. please suggest a good amp for these which will improve the sound. My budget is 100$. I mostly use these headphones with a laptop and very rarely with an ipod.

Thanks in advance.

You are aware of something called a burn-in period? The cans will improve after several hours of play 
L3000.gif

Quote:
I'll be watching this thread as I'm in the market for an amp for my DT770s as well.

Same here, although I kinda already have my eyes set on the FiiO E17 
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 14

Quote:

DT770 Pro 80-Ohm do kind of suck without a decent headphone amplifier.
The Fiio E11 would work with iPod and laptop.

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 14
For under $100, Amp only, I would most likely suggest a CMoy made by Fred_fred2004. He does some really good work.
Out of the Fiio line-up, the only rational suggestion would be an E11 in my opinion if you don't need a DAC.
If you have good DIY skiils another option could be a mini^3 as the kit is just under $100.

If you also want a DAC and are willing to stretch your budget a little then I would suggest an E17.

Jan 25, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #8 of 14

The E11 is known to be popular with Beyer's. don't own them so i can give you some thread hunting help

http://www.head-fi.org/t/584101/review-beyerdynamic-dt990-premium-32-ohm-and-fiio-e11-and-e7

"FiiO E11

This thing is about as straight forward as it gets. Charge it, hook up the LOD cable to the iPod, plug in the phones and twist the knob. With the DT990's hooked up to the iPod, the first thing that hits me is VOLUME. This little bugger can drive these headphones to face shattering levels, and I'm half-deaf. With these headphones on bass-heavy songs, the highest I can drive the headphones is at volume level around 4.5 before bass-distortion starts rearing its head. Its no fault of the amp. Everything comes across very clear from the highest freqs all the way down to the bone thumping bass. Turning the volume down to try out the bass boost, it works as advertised, providing more body to lower frequencies in songs with less of a bass line. Lets face it though, if you're using the bass boost, you're probably listening to some version of techno, electronica, or dubstep. These tracks shine with the bass boost. Level 1 gives a bit more body and thump to the music, and generally sounds more like I imagine it should sound, without losing anyting else in the music. Level 2 takes that and just goes nuts. Bass will over power some of the mid frequencies, but good lord. If you're a bass-head, make sure you have something a little higher on the Ohm levels. I can't drive these headphones to where I can hear much BUT bass at level 2.

Now for the puzzling part of this little gadget. The Gain switch. I started to write this review with it set to "L" or low. Everything was coming across a little, well, weak, requiring me to turn up the volume more than I was really comfortable with. Upon switching to "H" though, everything starts coming through. The music is, I don't know how to put this, "fuller". Details come out in the music. I don't know if it is the sensitivity of these cans, but the High gain setting really sounds better.

As far as build quality, I don't have any complaints. It is very light, so its easily portable strapped to the back of my iPod with some good battery life for as small as the battery is. No word yet on actual life time of the battery, as I forgot to time it. I was in audio nirvana and I forgot. The cover for the battery does feel a bit thin, and you really have to press on it to get it to snap back in to place if you ever have to take it off. You shouldn't really need to though, so that's just a nitpick.

My biggest issue is the volume control knob. In and of itself, it is great. Volume is smooth to pick up, the knob has a good feel to it. My problem with it comes from the fact that input and output are right next to the thing. This is an issue because when its all hooked up, the volume knob is right next to the jumble of connectors, making it a slight challenge to adjust while walking. Had the knob been on the side or opposite end of the unit, I'd have no issue. As it is though, it is the most glaring fault of the unit.

On to the scores:

Amplification: 10/10 - For 32 ohm phones, it can put out WAY more power than you can deal with.

Clarity: 10/10 - No hissing, distortion or any other modification of the sound besides amplitude.

Ease of Use: 8/10 - Can't charge and listen at the same time. Knob is hard to use when hooked up to source and cans.

Build Quality: 9/10 - Feels solid, wish the battery panel was a bit thicker, wish it was a bit heavier.

Overall Value: 9/10 - Cheap, easy, good amplification. As good as it gets for the price."

http://www.head-fi.org/t/588321/beyerdynamic-dt990-premium-help

So yes. the E11. is probably what you want. purple angel up there agrees so i should be in good shape. 
gs1000.gif

Jan 25, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
So yes. the E11. is probably what you want. purple angel up there agrees so i should be in good shape. 
gs1000.gif

From what I've read (a bit too late, 'cause I've already ordered the E17) the FiiO E11 is better if you want AMP only.
I will be using my DT 880 and a Sony discman, so I guess the best option will be E11 eh (which means I might wanna cancel my E17 order 
redface.gif
)?

Jan 25, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
From what I've read (a bit too late, 'cause I've already ordered the E17) the FiiO E11 is better if you want AMP only.
I will be using my DT 880 and a Sony discman, so I guess the best option will be E11 eh (which means I might wanna cancel my E17 order 
redface.gif
)?

if you want. if you don't need the extra features of the E17 then yes. the E11 is a better choice. i don't own the E11 and haven't had the E17 yet. but since u bought the E17. i will say u like the fiio sound so i guess the E11 is a good go? it's ur choice and money. 

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
if you want. if you don't need the extra features of the E17 then yes. the E11 is a better choice. i don't own the E11 and haven't had the E17 yet. but since u bought the E17. i will say u like the fiio sound so i guess the E11 is a good go? it's ur choice and money. 

Thanks for the reply!
I don't really NEED the functions, but it's nice to have though. I've also read that the E11 might sound a bit dark'ish to some.
In combination with a Sony pcdp and DT 880 (which are both famous for their awesome bass) might the brighter E17 be a better match?
To create a more balanced sound, I mean. I like bass, but it should never get in the way of the details.

Man, choosing the right product can be HARD sometimes 
rolleyes.gif

The E17 looks like such an awesome amp, but then again, the E11 is cheaper and available now, so I might get that one anyway 
smile.gif

If both have about the same battery-life and can play and charge at the same time (again not really necessary, but nice to have the option)

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!
I don't really NEED the functions, but it's nice to have though. I've also read that the E11 might sound a bit dark'ish to some.
In combination with a Sony pcdp and DT 880 (which are both famous for their awesome bass) might the brighter E17 be a better match?
To create a more balanced sound, I mean. I like bass, but it should never get in the way of the details.

Man, choosing the right product can be HARD sometimes 
rolleyes.gif

The E17 looks like such an awesome amp, but then again, the E11 is cheaper and available now, so I might get that one anyway 
smile.gif

If both have about the same battery-life and can play and charge at the same time (again not really necessary, but nice to have the option)

the E17 has more options for bass from what i see though..up to 14dB extra bass if you read ClieOS review......that is mega bass right there. :D haha

yeah it is harad. if you think u will be using with console, or computer. then this is a good choice. the E17 not only works as an amp, DAC..but more importantly its an upgrade stepping stone

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #14 of 14
How would the e6 be compared to the e11 for powering dt770 pro 80?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back