Sugestion for Sennheiser HD-650
May 11, 2015 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

MusclePharm

Head-Fier
Hello guys,

I currently own a Sennheiser PC 363D and I love how they sound it's clear and I hear details I've never heard before on any other headphones... However after discussing about it on another thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/765955/sennheiser-pc-363d-with-xonar-u7) I decided I should get a new headphone the HD-650, they receive so many good reviews and they're actually the number 1 on this website's review page. But I'm using a laptop and the audio inputs aren't working at all, so I need to connect it by USB.
So, I need a suggestion on a budget Amp/Dac that I can use for this headphone that can make good use of it..

Any help please?

May 11, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 65
The Focal Spirit Professional is by far my favorite headphone so far. I like it more than all the headphones I own and used to own. (See profile for details.) I bought a second pair just today. It sounds amazing with rock and metal. Has excellent impact and physicality. It's very neutral, but on the slightly dark side of neutral, so there aren't any nasty peaks in the frequency response. It's also the only headphone that I would recommend as an all-rounder. That being said, the HD 650 and plenty of other headphones do certain things better than the FSP, but I just didn't like the overall sound anywhere near as much. The HD 600 is more neutral than the HD 650, but I haven't heard it.

May 11, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 65
I've been reading reviews on these headphones but I'm a bit skeptical. Some people are saying they're not comfortable, they're made of plastic, which seems to compromise durability.
Here is one example:
"The build quality is atrocious. I haven't even used the headphones for twee weeks before the headband developed hairline cracks on both sides."

They're less 100€, that's understandable given the audio quality you refer, but still...

May 11, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 65
  I've been reading reviews on these headphones but I'm a bit skeptical. Some people are saying they're not comfortable, they're made of plastic, which seems to compromise durability.
Here is one example:

They're less 100€, that's understandable given the audio quality you refer, but still...

What? The Focal Spirit Professional is $349.

It is partially made of metal. It does have build quality and comfort issues for some people.

May 11, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 65
The Schiit Fulla will get the job done, although the combination of Fulla+HD 650 won't sound better than PC363D.

If the goal is to upgrade your audio noticeably, I'd suggest Alpha Dogs and maybe Aune T1+a tube for your DAC.

I'm not really a fan of the 650's soundstage width. 

May 11, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #8 of 65
None of what anyone says matters, including me.  Though, in my opinion, your purchase of the 650s is an EXCELLENT choice.  

Question is, how much can you spend?  $200?  Buy a Schiit stack.  More?  We can go there, too.

(I have no idea what the other person is saying, thanks block list)

And now I see a $79 amp/DAC trying to make a 650 sound up to its potential.  That's funny.

May 11, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #9 of 65
  None of what anyone says matters, including me.  Though, in my opinion, your purchase of the 650s is an EXCELLENT choice.  

Question is, how much can you spend?  $200?  Buy a Schiit stack.  More?  We can go there, too.

And now I see a $79 amp/DAC trying to make a 650 sound up to its potential.  That's funny.

For what it's worth, the HD 650 sounded pretty darn good on the Fulla. I'm sure it would sound better on better gear.

It's just the HD 650 has a darker tonal balance, which isn't what everyone wants, and the OP did mention liking clarity.

May 11, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 65

What? The Focal Spirit Professional is $349.

It is partially made of metal. It does have build quality and comfort issues for some people.

I mean, the Focal Spirit Professional is 100€ less than the HD 650.
I'm a person who spends a lot of time with headphones on his head, and I can't count how many headphones I broke for just putting them on my head... This is why I'm a bit skeptical.

The Schiit Fulla will get the job done, although the combination of Fulla+HD 650 won't sound better than PC363D.

If the goal is to upgrade your audio noticeably, I'd suggest Alpha Dogs and maybe Aune T1+a tube for your DAC.

I'm not really a fan of the 650's soundstage width. 

I'm not entirely sure why you say that they won't sound better, since HD 650 are overall better headphones and the DAC is probably better than the one used in the 3D G4M1 which is used by the PC363D... Maybe you wanted to say that they will not sound thaaat good when compared to the ones I own?

I mean, when I started the thread, my idea was to get a Amp/DAC which could use at least most of HD 650 potential without being that much expensive...

May 11, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #11 of 65

So, I need a suggestion on a budget Amp/Dac that I can use for this headphone that can make good use of it..

Any help please?

Because he mentioned budget amp/dac the Fulla was suggested; of course if there was no cost restriction more expensive options would probably be suggested by the dozen. 

May 11, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #12 of 65
  I mean, the Focal Spirit Professional is 100€ less than the HD 650.
I'm a person who spends a lot of time with headphones on his head, and I can't count how many headphones I broke for just putting them on my head... This is why I'm a bit skeptical.

I mean, when I started the thread, my idea was to get a Amp/DAC which could use at least most of HD 650 potential without being that much expensive...

In the US, the HD 650 can be had for as low as $274 brand new. And some used ones are as low as $230. Prices are also different in various countries, anyway.

If you specify a budget, you will get better answers for an amp and DAC.

Because he mentioned budget amp/dac the Fulla was suggested; of course if there was no cost restriction more expensive options would probably be suggested by the dozen. 

Exactly.

May 11, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #13 of 65
Now I'm undecided between Focal Spirit Professional and the HD 650... So I guess the Amp/DAC will depend on which one I pick.
@Music Alchemist
What do you think about the Focal Spirit's durability? is it really worth the money? I've read some reviews of people moving from HD-650 to these...

Anyway, I would go up for $200 for the Amp/DAC stack..

May 11, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #14 of 65
A $79 budget for a ~$325 headphone makes no sense.  Don't disrespect the headphone like that.  It's selling it, and you, short if you do.  You can take my word for it, or read the enormous thread about the Senn 650 on here.

May 11, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #15 of 65
  Now I'm undecided between Focal Spirit Professional and the HD 650... So I guess the Amp/DAC will depend on which one I pick.
@Music Alchemist
What do you think about the Focal Spirit's durability? is it really worth the money? I've read some reviews of people moving from HD-650 to these...

Anyway, I would go up for $200 for the Amp/DAC stack..

As long as you treat it with respect, I think it should be fine. The HD 650 has far superior comfort, though. Wish I could compare those two to the HD 600...

The Schiit Magni 2 and Modi 2 are $99 each. I used to own a Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2.

A $79 budget for a ~$325 headphone makes no sense.  Don't disrespect the headphone like that.  It's selling it, and you, short if you do.  You can take my word for it, or read the enormous thread about the Senn 650 on here.

His budget is $200, apparently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back