Sugden + W2002 = Beautiful Sound
Oct 26, 2002 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Gergor

1000+ Head-Fier
I got my Sugden headmaster and CDmaster about a couple week ago. Initial impression is the system was that it's too bright. However, after running the system for about a week, miracle happens! With W2002, the high becomes less forward, the bass extented. The overall tonal balance is very good. It sounds very clean, all the details are revealed. Human voice is seductive, Diana Krall's voice is so smooth that it's addictive.

Next I will experiment with the external DAC and interconnect upgrade.

However, the system still doesn't work right with F1. Compare with W2002, F1 sounds thin and tinny. It's going to the closet.

Oct 26, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 10
Yep. You're hearing what I heard
wink.gif
The Sugden/W2002 works magic. Nice clean response, and a clarity the W2002 really doesn't reach with tube amps. The brightness of the W2002 goes away with break in, and it becomes a pretty neutral headphone, with a bit of a low end rise.

The F1 can come into its own, but the amp it works best with is the EAR HP4...and with that amp, there are other headphones that sound even better
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2002 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 10
I don't think I'd invest in a EAR to match with F1, but may be later I'd try a earmax pro to go with it. For now, it stays in the closet.
biggrin.gif

I'll probably get more headphones to go with the current system. If I go to Japan again, I'll consider getting a R10. For now I'll probably get a HD600/580...

Oct 27, 2002 at 6:01 AM Post #4 of 10
This combo does have a lot going for it. Both amp and headphones have superb spaciousness and transparency. The Sugden's weakness is it's bass, but the W2002 has just enough extra to pair with the Sugden's slight leaness there. The W2002 is not the smoothest in the treble but the Sugden, although very revealing, is clean enough to do fine there.

Oct 27, 2002 at 6:31 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by KurtW
This combo does have a lot going for it. Both amp and headphones have superb spaciousness and transparency. The Sugden's weakness is it's bass, but the W2002 has just enough extra to pair with the Sugden's slight leaness there. The W2002 is not the smoothest in the treble but the Sugden, although very revealing, is clean enough to do fine there.

Yup, I agree with your comments. Especially the part about treble, which I think is the weakest part. I'm actually looking for a second headphone which would improve in this area. Do you think HD600/580 may be the medicine for it?

Oct 27, 2002 at 2:57 PM Post #6 of 10
I do, I think the Hd 600/Sugden combo is great for it's midrange, soundstage, and treble. It's all very smooth and comfortable. I'm a big fan.

I really think the key to the success of this combo is how the 600's are broken in. I've read where others don't think the bass on the 600's is there, or that great. When I got mine I used a mix by Danny Tenaglia (a tribal house mix) and my Meta to break it in, And I have to say it really brought out the bottom end really well, without sacrificing any of it's structure concerning the midrage and treble. At least on my pair I believe the bass to be outstanding, although closer to what you hear on the Ety 4P as far as bass, not "bombastic" bass by any means. I believe this pertains to the midrange and treble as well. Proper break in IMO will really loosen the phones up and accentuate the sound you break them in with.
That's my experience anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2002 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
I do, I think the Hd 600/Sugden combo is great for it's midrange, soundstage, and treble. It's all very smooth and comfortable. I'm a big fan.

I really think the key to the success of this combo is how the 600's are broken in. I've read where others don't think the bass on the 600's is there, or that great. When I got mine I used a mix by Danny Tenaglia (a tribal house mix) and my Meta to break it in, And I have to say it really brought out the bottom end really well, without sacrificing any of it's structure concerning the midrage and treble. At least on my pair I believe the bass to be outstanding, although closer to what you hear on the Ety 4P as far as bass, not "bombastic" bass by any means. I believe this pertains to the midrange and treble as well. Proper break in IMO will really loosen the phones up and accentuate the sound you break them in with.
That's my experience anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif

Is this with the stock 600 cables?

Oct 27, 2002 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 10
The HD600 is very smooth but most people also complain that vocals sound a little distant. The HD600 can be great to have around for bad recordings or watching movies. I found the Sugden especially good for watching movies because the top is so smooth that the spoken voice was easy to hear. With the HP-1000, there was almost too much detail and I got a super-human feeling of hearing every pin drop in the soundtrack. That was somewhat distracting and I preferred the HD600 for movies although even with the bumped midbass of the HD600 I wished for a little better lowend. Maybe DT770/Sugden would have been a good pairing for movies. *shrug*

You may want to wait for reviews of the DT880, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back