Sugden Headmaster
Jul 16, 2002 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Kieran Comito

500+ Head-Fier
I just got this amp. Does this amp have a breakin period and if so how long is the breakin time? By the way, I got mine from Brooklyn Audio out of Dartmouth, Nova Scotia for 800.00 del. I highley recomend them.

Jul 16, 2002 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 19
sugden recommends keeping the amp on at all times (probably why the power switch is so small and in the back like it is). but as far as i can tell, mine didn't really need much burning in as i recall it sounded pretty awesome straight out of the box. doesn't hurt to let some music play through it while you're at work though.. i always do just for fun.

i only turn mine off if i'm going away for a while, like a vacation or something, so it's pretty much always warmed up too.

Jul 16, 2002 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Kieran Comito
I got mine from Brooklyn Audio out of Dartmouth, Nova Scotia for 800.00 del.

How to get such a deal?? They list headmaster for $858 on audiogon....
How long did it take to get this amp?
Thanks.

Jul 16, 2002 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 19
I called them on a Monday and they told me they were out of stock at the momnent but had some on the way. By Friday they had arrived and they were del. to me on a monday. So all in all, the whole process was a week. The 800 dollars was a delivered price. The salesman said these amps are selling like hotcakes for him. My previous amp was an MG Head otl to go with my Cary cd player and HD 600s. At first I was disapointed in the MG Head. But I after I changed tubes I thought is sounded outstanding. Especially at low volumes. Details were coming from everywhere in songs. Rythems guitars, cymbals ect... The best part was that it sounded great at low volumes, which I think is important with headphone listening to protect the ears. Last night was the firts night that I tried the Sugden Headmaster. The verdict is still out. It has not had the Wow! factor yet. It sounds good, but definatley different then the MG Head. Maybe its that I am used to the MG Head or the difference between solid state and tube sound. i will do a lot more listening tonight after work and post more of what I think tommorow.

Jul 16, 2002 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 19
Kieran Comito,
I also came from the MG Head DT environment. When I first got the Headmaster I was somewhat disappointed when comparing it to the MG Head. However, that changed when I began to listen to music selections that were recorded live! Through the Headmaster the performance actually sounded live, however that wasn't the case when I listened to the same selections through the MG Head. It was then I realized how much coloration the MG Head was actually adding to the music. From that point on I never looked back, and have been extremely happy with the Headmaster. Try listening to some music that's been recorded live and you'll see what I mean.

Jul 16, 2002 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 19
Most of my catalog is not recorded live. Surely you listen to the studio stuff and not just your live stuff? Has the Headmaster sound grown on you when listening to the recorded stuff too?

Jul 16, 2002 at 8:41 PM Post #8 of 19
I contacted them the week of the 4th and they said they were expecting some in a few days. Then they contacted me last week stating they were in. I told them I would send payment and then they called me stating no they didn't have one for me. The cost was $825 delivered. I'm thinking these guys suck!

Jul 16, 2002 at 8:42 PM Post #9 of 19
i too came from a history with the mg head and i now think the mg head sucks. i find the sugden to be better with all of my music, but that's just me.. and i haven't rolled the tubes extensively and never plan to.

Jul 16, 2002 at 10:05 PM Post #10 of 19
Sounds like your experience was very different then mine. I think they only brought in 4 amps so I'm sure they sold real fast and you were the odd man out. I would not be surprised if they raised their price because the demand is so good. When I was looking I found another place called Audio Outlet in N.Y. They wanted 900.00 for thier amp but like most place they are out of stock and on back order. I guess the factory is having a hard time keeping up with demand. I would suggest putting your name in the hat at one of the places and see what happens.

Jul 16, 2002 at 10:34 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Kieran Comito
At first I was disapointed in the MG Head. But I after I changed tubes I thought is sounded outstanding. Especially at low volumes. Details were coming from everywhere in songs. Rythems guitars, cymbals ect... The best part was that it sounded great at low volumes, which I think is important with headphone listening to protect the ears.

Preamps used to come with a "loudness" switch that boosted bass and treble. The idea (there is more detail in our archives, I believe) is that when listening at low volumes, human ears drop off the frequency extremes. This makes music sound less good, even unnatural at low volumes. Hence the "loudness" switch to compensate.
I'm pretty sure that the MG Head has at least half (the bass half) of the loudness adjustment working! The Sugden probably provides a flat response and consquently the perceived sound is degraded at low volume
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2002 at 8:04 AM Post #12 of 19
daycart1

It is strange to me that you would say this about the MG Head since i find it to be somewhat rolled off at both frequency extremes. There is still a noticable bass hump with the stock Sovtek hump but think it's a little closer to flat (and clean and good sounding, btw) with the Raytheon 5751 and in "OTL" mode.

The MG Head has, IMHFO, the unique disposition of being both very overrated and very underrated. I think the people who underrate it have not heard it in OTL mode with the Raytheon tube. People who overrate it simply haven't heard better amps yet. Somehow the latter seems more forgiveable and Grinch seems in need of a scolding.

Jul 17, 2002 at 3:58 PM Post #14 of 19
Kieran Comito,
Yes, I certainly listen to studio recorded music most of the time and love the way it sounds through the Headmaster! The point is, the Headmaster is a very neutral amp. It provides you with nothing more or less than what your source has to offer!

Loudness contour (derived from Fletcher Munson curve if I remember this correctly) is used to boost bass response at low volume levels because human hearing lacks the ability to process them correctly at those low levels. Some automatically remove their effects from the circuit when normal listening levels are achieved. The best implementation I've seen was on McIntosh Pre-Amps. They had a variable loudness knob which worked in conjuction with the main volume control. Neither the MG Head or Headmaster use such circuitry to my knowledge!

Jul 17, 2002 at 5:38 PM Post #15 of 19
Well, the source I have used so far is not that great. It is a 200 dollar 5 disc changer from Marantz that is 9 years old. I have a reall nice Cary Cd player in my main system. Maybe if I hook that up to the Headmaster, it will sound better. I listned a lot more last night. With the volume turned up, the Headmaster rocks! However, I get a little scared for my hearing at the higher levels, so the MG Head still sounds better at the lower levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back