Sudgen Headmaster or Microzotl
Apr 11, 2002 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Fortune

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone besides KurtW had the chance to hear both of these amps? I'm trying to find a good complement to my newly acquired W100's and these are the 2 amps I've narrowed it down to.

The Headmaster has a remote, can work as preamp, and is solid state.

The Zotl gets amazing reviews, is a push-pull otl tube amp that sounds like a solid state (I'm told).

What would match the W100's strengths. What would reveal it's weaknesses?

Cost is about a $75 difference with the Headmaster being on the higher side.
eek.gif

Apr 11, 2002 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 39
It would be best to audition the two amps yourself.

Apr 12, 2002 at 2:55 AM Post #5 of 39
Hey!!!!

Let's keep this thread on topic
tongue.gif

Sugden owners, I need some convincing because I'm leaning toward the Zotl. It's US made and that's the only thing really swaying me right now. They both sound like amazing amps.

Apr 12, 2002 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

The Zotl gets amazing reviews, is a push-pull otl tube amp that sounds like a solid state (I'm told).

It most certainly does not! It may not be as warm and fuzzy as some tube amps, but it has that characteristic tube smoothness, and the large tube soundstage.

Apr 12, 2002 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 39
Tubes are tubes, and will always contain tube euphonics. If you have a ZOTL already, it makes more sense to play around with a Sugden. The ZOTL and Melos I can imagine would sound pretty similar.

An amp that's made in the U.S. wouldn't sway me, considering the ZOTL from pics looks like an empty toy box next to the Sugden.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 12, 2002 at 4:23 AM Post #11 of 39
thanks crescendopower!
that means I need both the headmaster and a tube....maybe Audio&Me is write....Cary here I come!

Apr 12, 2002 at 4:52 AM Post #12 of 39
GRAMOPHONE AWARDS EDITION NOVEMBER 2001

The HeadMaster

"Here it is easily proved a match for the little £425 tube-powered EarMax Pro - winner of that June 2000 round-up - ironically having a similarly warm, almost valve-like presentation with no shortage of detail to be enjoyed."

This is a quote from a review that led me to compare the Headmaster to tube amps in a PM to Zanth. Since I haven't listened to tube amps yet, I obviously can't personally make that comparison. But the sound is so nice, the distinction is irrelevant to me.

Apr 12, 2002 at 5:25 AM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by msjjr
GRAMOPHONE AWARDS EDITION NOVEMBER 2001

The HeadMaster

"Here it is easily proved a match for the little £425 tube-powered EarMax Pro - winner of that June 2000 round-up - ironically having a similarly warm, almost valve-like presentation with no shortage of detail to be enjoyed."

This is a quote from a review that led me to compare the Headmaster to tube amps in a PM to Zanth. Since I haven't listened to tube amps yet, I obviously can't personally make that comparison. But the sound is so nice, the distinction is irrelevant to me.

Yep! If it's written in a review it must be true. Sorry, I was wrong.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 12, 2002 at 5:44 AM Post #14 of 39
With so many great reviews and such a nice price for us Canadians...this amp I think is a winner for me. I have decided to go with the headmaster + a-21a combo for pre/power for my speakers (totem model -1s for now), and the HD600 with Carda cable.

Mmmm, I am VERY pleased to have come to this conclusion, all all for almost the price of the R10s. Course...I will have to wait to get all this gear, but I have made up my mind at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back