Subwoofer with headphones?
Jul 10, 2008 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

earwicker7

Headphoneus Supremus
This has always been a fascinating idea to me, as the only thing (IMO) that keeps headphones from bettering speakers is the lack of that physical "bump in the chest" feeling. Otherwise, I've always found headphones to be better for critical listening.

Has anyone out there done something like this with quality equipment (ie, nice headphones and a sub that isn't part of a "Comes free with your Dell!" offer)?

I'm thinking that I could use the pre-amp out from my Ray Samuels B-52 and then set the crossover to whatever the roll off point of the cans is...

Maybe I'll borrow my daughter's sub (she's got an Anthony Gallo TR-1; not top of the line but a pretty sweet sub for an eight year old).

Jul 10, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 33
I remember a popular thread on this a while back - seemed a lot of people use subs with headphones but never thought anything of it.
tongue.gif
I can't remember if it was here or on AK though...

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by deviationer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ButtKicker®
?

Nah, if I'm going to do this I want it to be audiophile quality. Although I mentioned the thump in the chest idea (which this kind of addresses, although it's more of a thump in the chair) what I'm really getting at is the fact that headphones just can't realistically reproduce the really low frequencies. Some headphones get close (Edition9 and Omega2 are the best I've heard) but it's just not physically possible for the tiny speakers in a headphone to move enough air to really physically move you.

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 33
One thing I'm wondering is if there is the potential for any kind of phase issues or things of that nature. If the crossover doesn't separate the two signals enough, is there a possibility that the sub fires, has x amount of delay until it reaches your ears, and is out of sync with the cans?

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nah, if I'm going to do this I want it to be audiophile quality. Although I mentioned the thump in the chest idea (which this kind of addresses, although it's more of a thump in the chair) what I'm really getting at is the fact that headphones just can't realistically reproduce the really low frequencies. Some headphones get close (Edition9 and Omega2 are the best I've heard) but it's just not physically possible for the tiny speakers in a headphone to move enough air to really physically move you.

don't discount the ButtKicker or its ilk.

Audiophile quality or audiophile price? Which one are you after? Try the butt kickers, you may like them.

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 33
Haha, reminds me of that one time when I used the clarity and the high freqs of my GS-1000 along with JBL 12" subwoofer. Hahah very interesting experience.

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #9 of 33
That option would be interesting with very open and bassless headphones as AKG 501, 70xs and K1000, electrostatics as stax and others. But yeah, the problem can be the sincronization of the frecuency signals....

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #10 of 33
I just tried this with my Q40s and the sub from my Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 speakers. I didn't really like it, as all it really did was produce a loud rumbley bass. It'd probably be a better idea to try this with open headphones.

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't discount the ButtKicker or its ilk.

Audiophile quality or audiophile price? Which one are you after? Try the butt kickers, you may like them.

Either/or
tongue.gif

Like I said earlier, I plan on trying this out with my daughter's sub, which was (if I remember correctly) not more than $500 or so. Not too crazy by audiophile standards.

I guess the ButtKicker seems more like a novelty item that would probably be a hell of a lot of fun for movies, but the idea of rattling the screws in my listening chair just isn't what I'm looking for when I'm doing critical listening. I will definitely demo this thing for my TV setup if I see it around in a shop.

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That option would be interesting with very open and bassless headphones as AKG 501, 70xs and K1000, electrostatics as stax and others. But yeah, the problem can be the sincronization of the frecuency signals....

I was definitely going to use open cans, so we're thinking the same.

However, don't call the stax bassless! That's an urban legend
frown.gif
. The Omega2 have exquisite bass when properly amped. It does suck with the stock amp, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back