Subwoofer with headphones?
Aug 7, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #31 of 33
I've been trying out an Aura Pro bass shaker with K701 headphones. The Aura Pro itself works extremely well, and the shaking produced by the Aura matches the bass transients of the headphone perfectly. I have the Aura Pro connected to a pre-out of the NAD so that I can independently control its output level with respect to my headphone amplifier. The problem is that I KNOW it's only my chair shaking, and it's a bit distracting. With a subwoofer, even though it doesn't shake the listener like an Aura Pro, it does pressurize the air in the room. This effect, when augmented by the Aura Pro, presumably gives a very realistic sensation. With a pair of headphones, in contradistinction, there isn't any air pressurization occurring, making the Aura Pro effect feel kind of gimmicky. Anyway, I'll mess around a bit more with it.

Aug 8, 2008 at 9:44 AM Post #32 of 33
Hmm, this thread has got me thinking now.....

I could hook up my RE Audio XXX 15" sub running @ 3,200WRMS from my car, in my room with my headphones!
biggrin.gif
The scary part is I'm actually going to try it haha.

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #33 of 33
Use to do this long ago using a A/D/S Sub 12. Leave the power amps to the main speakers off. The sub is still active because there's a signal. It is a experience you have to try. The Sub 12 is very clean, you can feel vibrations and air pressure before you can hear the sound.
For instance, if you play a 20-25hz tone on headphones you have to turn the volume up a bit to hear it. Most of the time what you hear is the sound of the diaphragm and not the true tone. Play that same tone with the sub at the same volume and you will have to rearrange your shelves and paintings. Like the intro to 2001, you can feel your clothes vibrate before you can hear the sound in the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back