Subwoofer Mods & Questions
May 28, 2015 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

KrypticPixel

New Head-Fier
I just got my Logitech z313 speakers.
The subwoofer is awesome! Of course, I still want to mod them :D.

What are some good mods for the subwoofer, or even the satelites?

Another question: sometimes if I turn up the bass via EQ, my subwoofer rattles. I'm deathly afraid to blow it, so I keep my volume under %40 all the time.
What are some signs that it's about to blow?

May 28, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 10
The z313 subwoofer is not an expensive sub and has a cheap enclosure. So yes. It's possible it rattles. Bet it doesn't weigh that much. Probably has a lighweight driver in it, too.

Unless you are seated nearfield (within around 3 feet or so), subwoofer performance is tied to the volume (not sq footage) of the room and any additional open areas, and that's a tiny little sub. So if you are trying to fill a room with loud bass, good chance you could eventually blow it. It's meant to be used sitting at a computer at reasonable volumes. If you want a decent sub that can fill a small to medium sized room with bass, save up for one of these: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1200-12-120-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-629 :)

May 28, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 10
Won't hurt the sub. Don't want to lay its amplifier side on carpet or something like that so it can't radiate any heat (assuming it has any). And probably best not to cover up the port, since that reduces maximum output. But otherwise, you can lay your sub any way you want and shouldn't hurt it. People take downfiring subs and put them on their side and use them that way all the time.

May 28, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 10
Is it possible that I could just replace the built-in sub driver with a better one, like this: http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLBW104-10-Inch-000-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B000CQGMHM/ref=sr_1_2?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1432849266&sr=1-2 ?

I saw a video on Youtube where a guy tried to blow the subwoofer, and he couldn't?

Edit: Is there any mods for subwoofers?
Edit edit (sorry 'bout this): I accidentally had my volume all the way up, and I plugged in my speakers to my phone. No music was playing, but Poweramp started playing Astronomia by Vicetone at full blast. Now the left satelite seems much more quiet than the right. What the heck? Did I already destroy it?

May 28, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #7 of 10
First, keep in mind that this is a headphone forum. So you are a like the guy going to a car forum to ask how to mod his moped.

Second, no. Doubt that will fit. And even if it was the right diameter, there are other considerations as to why it might not be a good choice. Probably best to find a DIY subwoofer or speaker forum. They might help.

And I say "might" because, to be honest, a sub that comes with a $50 speaker set is more of a toy than what most sub people think of as a sub. I just wouldn't advise putting much energy in trying to fix that up. Instead, learn about subs and how to build them. Maybe you could scavenge the wood to build the box and find a good deal on a driver and amp. But this is not the right place to really seek on advise on that, or modding existing subs :)

May 28, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #8 of 10
Okay, I'm sorry about that then.

I liked your car to moped comparison
tongue.gif

Do you have any place that you might recommend me too? I had looked into building my own sub box, but I wasn't sure how I would attach that to my speakers, so I figured modding my existing ones would be easier. Plus, by the time I have all the materials like the MDR wood and stuff, it'd be +$125.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

May 28, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #9 of 10
No need to apologize. You are just trying to pursue your goals in the wrong place and so it won't be much help :)

Yeah. My guess is you might have problems using a separate sub with that setup. I don't know about your speakers, but typically the speakers hook to the amplifier on the sub with those kinds of setups because the amp is both a sub and speaker amp.

If you want to learn how to build a sub box for home use, try here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back