Sub $500 Speaker Recs.
Sep 27, 2004 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

hella

Head-Fier
As much as I love my DT-531's I've decided to throw down for some speakers.

Here are the details: I'd like to spend aound 500 dollars and ideally get the best possible bang for my buck. I'm thinking either used/Audiogon or a DIYFSE type situation. I listen to punk rock, indie, jazz, and hip-hop. However these speaker must be able to do double-duty and sound great with movies as well because I'm a film buff/filmmaker. I'll probably add a sub at a later date.

I would appreciate any recommendations for commercial speakers (please include reasonable used/Audiogon price) and would definitely like to know about any giant-killer easily constructed DIY or DIYFSE/assembled DIY offerings. Is there a speaker equivalent to the PPA?

Right now I'm look at the Triangle Titus, which I heard and really liked, and the Green Mountain Audio Europa. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Sep 27, 2004 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 31
I love my Jm Labs Chorus 706 (the old version, not the "S"). Great for all the music you mentioned. The bass is only adequate but enough for a small room. You need the a warmer amp though. What kind of amp and cdp are you using?

Sep 27, 2004 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 31
I'm going to be using my Powerbook as a transport with a Sonica running line-out (temporarily) to a yet to be purchased integrated amp. Eventually I'm going to throw a DAC-1 in there. I haven't decided which amp yet because I wanted to pick up the speakers first and then get some good electronics, but perhaps this is the wrong way to go about it.

Sep 27, 2004 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 31
Im using a 25 watt class A Monarchy amp. Its enough power for these sensitive speakers. You should find them used for around $300 on Audiogon. Some people like this speaker with NAD components.

Sep 28, 2004 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 31
The Event TR8 and M-Audio BX8 are both great sounding speakers that can be had for less than $500, plus you don't need an amp since they are powered monitors. I would describe them both as having a full yet detailed and transparent sound. The Events to me sounded a bit more tipped toward the mids/bass. the M-Audio's to the treble, but only ever so slightly.

Sep 28, 2004 at 2:02 AM Post #7 of 31
If you're lucky enough to spot some vintage JBL 3 way monitors with 10" or 12" woofers in good condition, they'd be my first choice. You have to have enough room though. Perhaps not the best for computer listening what with the desk in the way and all. If you play things smart, you can build the speakers I built for under $500. They sound great. You can build variants of my speakers with more reasonably priced tweeters for considerably less money. Mbow1 and variants: www.murphyblaster.com

Those JBLs are really the whole package though. They'll dig under 30hz easily and cleanly with detail and nuance.

If you want new and no hassle, Iron Dreamer's recommendations aren't bad. You'll still want a preamp though, ideally.

Sep 28, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #8 of 31
bundee1 -Those JM Labs look pretty awesome. A hifi shop in San Francisco that I trust began carrying the JM Labs line solely because of that speaker. I'll keep my out for a pair.

soundboy - Any more info on those Event speakers. I've never heard of them before, but they look interesting.

Iron_Dreamer - I think I'm going to pass on the powered monitors, and probably new equipment all together. I trust your ears, but I feel like I could probably get a lot more for the money.

ooheadsoo - The speakers on that site sound great. Only problem is I don't have the technical knowledge to put them together. I'm on the look out for JBLs though. How do these stack up to newer 3-way monitors? The extension on the low-end is very enticing.

Sep 28, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #9 of 31
hella,

I wasn't looking for speakers when I came across the Energy C-3 being on sale. But it was too good on a good deal to pass up....40% off MSRP!! I purchased the C-3 at my local Energy authorized dealer (The Good Guys - a West Coast electronics chain) after comparing them to Monitor Audio's Bronze B-2. The MA has a very effortless sound, but when A/B to the Energy, the MA was kinda dull and lifeless. But that's just me. The Energy were also more efficient than my then-speakers, the NHT SB2, which enables me to get away with less wattage (meaning possible tube amps in the future). Below is a review of the C-3, which was Soundstage.com's Budget Leader Award Winner in 2002....

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_c3.htm

I don't know....I never dreamed I have a set of speakers that were compared to Revel's.

Sep 28, 2004 at 5:21 AM Post #10 of 31
I haven't heard any good modern 3 ways lately. The only speaker out there that even remotely sparks my interest is this 3 way here made by Morel USA: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/v...ighlight=morel

It uses very good well known morel drivers on the tweet and mid (the mid is found on some $$$$ speakers) and the guy who's listening to them says that it is an absolute steal. It's going for not much more than the cost of parts, which is cool in my book.

I really don't know how it compares to the vintage JBLs. I just know that for my ears, the JBLs are awesome! And according to this guy and my pocket book, the morels are a great deal. It's sealed so I bet the bass is super tight. Clearly it won't extend as low as the JBLs. What you get in exchange is new drivers, a trial period, and a 5 year warranty.

The other thing that I have to say is to go and audition as much as you can. Too bad you won't be able to audition any of the diy speakers, morels, and most likely not the JBLs either
tongue.gif
I haven't liked anything consumer level that I've heard that impressed me at good guys, fwiw, including klipsches and monitor audio speakers up to $2000 when compared to my DIY rig. Some stuff didn't sound bad, mind you. I didn't regret building my speakers though.

Sep 28, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #11 of 31
Try Von Schweikert VR-1. They're smallish bookshelves (seems like what you're looking for) and sounds fantastic with great bass. Also, you don't need alot of power behind them either; so looking for a workable, affordable amp to match them should not be a problem. Yes, I do believe they're the best bang for the buck. You can find them used on Agon for about $600 though, try haggling a little.

Sep 28, 2004 at 5:41 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
I haven't heard any good modern 3 ways lately. The only speaker out there that even remotely sparks my interest is this 3 way here made by Morel USA: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/v...ighlight=morel

It uses very good well known morel drivers on the tweet and mid (the mid is found on some $$$$ speakers) and the guy who's listening to them says that it is an absolute steal. It's going for not much more than the cost of parts, which is cool in my book.

Wow. This does seem like a steal. I think I'm going to make my friend who lives in Boston run over to Morel USA and listen to these things.

Sep 28, 2004 at 2:34 PM Post #15 of 31
a Pair of Polk Audio RT25i's, i think they are called the RT6i's this model year. But stereophile rated them the best speakers under 1000$ at one point, but i think some speaker kicked them out. now they are only best under 500$ speaker.

i have the one model lower, and they are very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back