Sub $50 headphones... Porta Pros vs. RP-HTX7's vs DHP-II's vs UR-55's vs. ???
Nov 11, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #16 of 25

Quote:
If you want to thin the herd quickly, you could decide on isolation. Porta Pro is a fully open-back headphone; i.e.: almost all sound will leak in, and quite a bit of your music will leak out. If you hate everyone else in the library, this is for you.
Based on |joker|'s comprehensive review thread, the DHP-II is semi-open, so it will leak in and out, but less than the Porta Pro. 
M30 is fully closed. This is no guarantee of how effectively it will block out noise, but it should leak relatively little music out.

Good point, let's take off the porta pro's then, I plan to use these out and about as well as at home and don't want the sound to leak too much.

My concern with the M30's is the loudness without an amp and the bass in comparison with the other two.  Joker's review said it had decent bass, but didn't sound overly impressed. Everyone seems to be impressed with the UR55's and DHP-II's, but I'm not sure if I've seen them compared head to head (this is especially true of the M30's).

EDIT:

And as I post, Joker posts... :)  So let's take the M30 off the list as well, now the choice is between the UR55's and DHP-II's.

also, what about the DHP-III's?  Description says open-air, which I'm guessing they'll be loud for anyone around me?

Nov 11, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #17 of 25

Table time! 

Koss UR-55 Maxell DHP-II
Impedance 36
Sensitivity (dB SPL/1mW) 100 102

Sorry that it looks like there's little difference from a "drivability" perspective. Between 100 and 102 dB/mW, both the UR-55 and DHP-II ought to get plenty loud enough from your player. But still, maybe this is one more component you can rule out.

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #18 of 25
I own all of these and here's how I'd rank them in terms of overall sound quality from best to worst:

Maxell DHP-II > UR-55 > M30 > Porta Pro

Actually comparing the Porta Pro and M30 is stupid. They're totally different in every way.

For a headphone that sounds good and is well built, get the Ur-55, but burn them in first! DHP-II sounds very good but is fragile to most. Mine haven't broke yet.

M30 is definitely not a headphone just for "Fun". It's quite neutral and won't try to make your music sound good. I've found that to me they sound best with an amp.

To me, the Ur-55 is like a Porta Pro upgrade.

Porta Pro
UR55
DHP-II
ATH-M30

The options are maddening, but that is good too I guess!

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #19 of 25

Quote:
I own all of these and here's how I'd rank them in terms of overall sound quality from best to worst:

Actually comparing the Porta Pro and M30 is stupid. They're totally different in every way.

For a headphone that sounds good and is well built, get the Ur-55, but burn them in first! DHP-II sounds very good but is fragile to most. Mine haven't broke yet.

M30 is definitely not a headphone just for "Fun". It's quite neutral and won't try to make your music sound good. I've found that to me they sound best with an amp.

Thanks for the info, so how would you exactly compare the sound of the UR55 vs. the DHP-II?  Also, which are more comfortable?

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #20 of 25

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the info, so how would you exactly compare the sound of the UR55 vs. the DHP-II?  Also, which are more comfortable?

Actually I kind of lied. I no longer have the UR-55. I gave them to my mom as a gift when I upgraded to the DJ100, but she's only 10 minutes away. I wish I didn't do this so I may buy another pair tomorrow.

It's hard to compare them from memory, but the highs on the DHP-II are more extended, nowhere near harsh or fatiguing. The highs on the UR-55 are slightly rolled off, just like on the Porta Pro. They may actually have the same drivers as the Porta Pro, so who knows. The sound on the DHP-II just seems a bit more natural and slightly more clear. Straight out of the box the UR-55 mids are VERY VERY slightly muffled. This went away after just an hour and I never heard it again. I'm not sure what caused this.

The mids on the DHP-II are probably also a bit more forward. I don't find them at all recessed on the UR-55. They're good for all my vocal oriented pop music and even rock music. I love the sound signature on them, but it's nowhere near neutral. They're just fun and addicting for me to listen to them. I imagine there is more bass on the UR-55 by far, but it may be not as accurate. I would have to compare them side by side.

For me, I'd easily give up some sound quality for something that has better build quality. Not everyone will like the Ur-55, but anyone who likes the Porta Pro sound signature should.

Every Best Buy sells them, if you don't like them it's pretty easy to return them. My store even has them out for demo, but that's usually a bad idea. For anyone that has a HUGE head, the UR-55 might be a bad idea.

I really do think that the DHP-II sounds better then even some $100 headphones to me. It's too bad the build quality wasn't better, even for $30 it's not that good. UR-55 as a lifetime warranty!

EDIT: Forgot about the comfort. DHP-II are one of the most comfortable headphones under $100 by far. Even more comfortable then the k240 due to how light they are. UR-55 is very comfortable, but I don't have a big head. I've heard from a few people that found them to have some clamping force for people with a bigger heard. For me they were very comfortable. Maybe a 8/10 for comfort. The earpads looks scratchy, but it softer then it looks like on the box. Once it breaks in, it gets even more comfortable. Comfort on the DHP-II is about a 9/10 or maybe even higher!

Nov 12, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #22 of 25
I got another pair of the UR-55's again. I was really missing them. With my $15 reward zone coupon they were only $35 or so. Not bad!

I still think that out of the box some people may think they're not good. I've found the sound improves even after the first hour, it's a bit strange.

Can't believe how good they are with rock music. Pearl Jam is just so good on them. Even the vocals are good.

I have a smaller head and even I had to fully extend the headband. It just feels weird having to do that. The pads are slightly scratchy the first few hours.

I got these for exercise and they'll be perfect for when I don't want to use an IEM or carry around an amp.

I'll compare the sound to the DHP-II some more. I think the UR-55 will have the more fun sound signature. I haven't used my DHP-II in at least a month. Too obsessed with my new desktop amp.

Tried to pry them open to try and see the driver, but it seems almost impossible. I guess that's a good thing.

Someone should compare them to the Porta Pro and see if they sound similar. Hopefully I have my Porta Pro around somewhere.

BTW these are definitely semi-open. The sounds leaks out a lot. I could probably hear them from 100 feet away. This helps the overall sound though.

EDIT:

I've been comparing the UR-55 side by side with the DHP-II just because I'm curious.
Whenever I keep putting the DHP-II I keep thinking to myself that it sounds better and the sound I prefer.
The biggest difference is that the sounds coming from the DHP-II is more clean or clear. The mids on the UR-55 are not recessed or distant sounding, but just not as clear. It's not always noticeable, especially on Pop music. I haven't fully burned in the UR-55 yet, so I shouldn't comment much.

The UR-55 also has a LOT more bass. On some songs it's almost fatiguing. The bass on the DHP-II is more enjoyable, but it has less, but seems more accurate.

BTW that foam on the UR-55 when new really stinks!

It's too bad more people are not willing to try the DHP-II due to the build quality. I'm one that thinks that if they only lasted a year it'd still be worth it as long as I only paid $30. It stinks thought that a few people had them break in a day or a week.

Nov 12, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #23 of 25
interesting.... So the UR55's have more bass, but less quality, and everything else is better on the DHP-II's?

Sounds like I should stay with the DHP-II's, I'm just hoping the bass isn't underwhelming now!

Nov 12, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #24 of 25

Quote:
interesting.... So the UR55's have more bass, but less quality, and everything else is better on the DHP-II's?

Sounds like I should stay with the DHP-II's, I'm just hoping the bass isn't underwhelming now!

Bass is good on the DHP-II and not bass light at all. It has very good bass. I was also listening to my DT-235 tonight too and can't figure out why people think they're not portable. I guess maybe because they don't fold up or they have a long cable. I almost think maybe the DT-235 is better than the UR-55 now. Haven't compared them side by side yet really. The only problem with the DT-235 is that they rest ON the ears for most people. So that means they'll have less isolation.

DT-235 and DHP-II are definitely keepers. I could live without the UR-55 and M30 despite them being really good. I think fans of rock music and heavy bass would love the UR-55.

The Creative Aurvana Live vs the DHP-II would be good comparison. CAL is $70 though, maybe more now.

Nov 12, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #25 of 25

Quote:
I was also listening to my DT-235 tonight too and can't figure out why people think they're not portable. I guess maybe because they don't fold up or they have a long cable. I almost think maybe the DT-235 is better than the UR-55 now. Haven't compared them side by side yet really. The only problem with the DT-235 is that they rest ON the ears for most people. So that means they'll have less isolation.

Those are the 2 chief reasons it's not good for use on-the-go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back