Sub $400 DAP for Tidal offline
May 25, 2020 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Matt007

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I have been searching here in many threads for quite a while and the more I search the more confusing it gets......I am looking for a recommendation for a sub $400 DAP that would do Tidal offline, and has decent UI - decent build quality - decent volume levels (currently using sennheiser HD280 & Bose QC35 II - maybe will get HD600 ) and decent size - not to bulky, smaller or same as the Galaxy s10 for instance. Don't have any library so dependent on streaming services and will want to use it for light sports - some walking or cycling. don't mind charging every day...
*Bonus feature - Processing power - as I intend to use mainly Tidal offline.
*Bonus feature - I love natural warm sound with lots of detail.
*Bonus feature - option to manage music with a clean layout with no album art.

Thanks

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #4 of 21
In terms of smaller DAP, I can't personally confirm Tidal & offiline compatability but here are some that might work:

Full android daps: Sony A105. Hiby R5.
Restricted android DAPs with whitelisted Tidal app AFAIK: Activio CT10, Fiio M6 and M9. secondhand AK SR15.

For the bigger budget person add AK SR25 and Sony ZX500.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #5 of 21
In terms of smaller DAP, I can't personally confirm Tidal & offiline compatability but here are some that might work:

Full android daps: Sony A105. Hiby R5.
Restricted android DAPs with whitelisted Tidal app AFAIK: Activio CT10, Fiio M6 and M9. secondhand AK SR15.

For the bigger budget person add AK SR25 and Sony ZX500.
Thanks for your reply, not sure what whitelisted Tidal app AFAIK is.... I really only need streaming services don’t need full blown android or play store.
but is ibasso DX160 right for the job? Right price and features no?

May 26, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #7 of 21
it seems that FIIOM11 - HIBY R5 - IBASSO DX160 - all fit the bill, but I have been reading launch date threads from late 2019, anyone seen a thread with updated reviews or user experiences after people were using these daps for a few months?

May 26, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 21
Thanks for your reply, not sure what whitelisted Tidal app AFAIK is.... I really only need streaming services don’t need full blown android or play store.
but is ibasso DX160 right for the job? Right price and features no?

Access to streaming servies offline modes outside of full blown android is pretty limited. "whitelisted" = allowed to install/functional. Those particular DAPs AFAIK use an OS based on Android without full Android functionality. They whitelist certain (usually music related) Android apps that can still be installed & used (just be sure to check with actual users that the offline mode works).

Most non-Android DAPs won't offer streaming services. They have to build their own app with the service's web api, which AFAIK generally means they can't be used for offline mode. For instance some smaller players like the Hiby R3, Onkyo PD-S10, Pioneer XDP-02 have Tidal, but no offline last time I checked (may have changed idk).

Anyways was just listing smaller daps which seemed to be one of your priorities, but the M11 and DX160 would likely do the job if you don't mind the size.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #9 of 21
Access to streaming servies offline modes outside of full blown android is pretty limited. "whitelisted" = allowed to install/functional. Those particular DAPs AFAIK use an OS based on Android without full Android functionality. They whitelist certain (usually music related) Android apps that can still be installed & used (just be sure to check with actual users that the offline mode works).

Most non-Android DAPs won't offer streaming services. They have to build their own app with the service's web api, which AFAIK generally means they can't be used for offline mode. For instance some smaller players like the Hiby R3, Onkyo PD-S10, Pioneer XDP-02 have Tidal, but no offline last time I checked (may have changed idk).

Anyways was just listing smaller daps which seemed to be one of your priorities, but the M11 and DX160 would likely do the job if you don't mind the size.
Thanks for your reply
I would actually prefer a DAP that has streaming services pre installed, and no other apps as that is the main use for it. If I need apps or mail or chrome ,I have aPhone for that . Regarding size I do prefer small but as I understand for using mainly streaming services you need considerable power which the small ones lack.

May 27, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #10 of 21
DAP don't have proper streaming apps pre-installed. You just install the ones you want but having a full fledged recent Android OS allow you to have fully functional and controllable apps and wifi. Don't activate Google services like mail and other stuff unless you want you battery drained quicker. Use your phone for this like you mentioned.

If it matters to you, some DAP can bypass Android default max sampling rate with streaming apps. Only matters if you care and go don't want your >48khz streams downsampled to <=48khz.

May 27, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #11 of 21
DAP don't have proper streaming apps pre-installed. You just install the ones you want but having a full fledged recent Android OS allow you to have fully functional and controllable apps and wifi. Don't activate Google services like mail and other stuff unless you want you battery drained quicker. Use your phone for this like you mentioned.

If it matters to you, some DAP can bypass Android default max sampling rate with streaming apps. Only matters if you care and go don't want your >48khz streams downsampled to <=48khz.
Not sure if I would tell the difference....but are you referring to the UAPP every is talking about? I believe you can only get that on play store. I really don’t want to start messing with mods and roms...

May 28, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #12 of 21
I don't think it matters that much to be honest. Unless your after bitperfect replay and all, don't bother. If, down the road, you want to experiment it out, feel free to do so. I care to some extent but I'm totally good with 16/44.

UAPP is used to bypass Android 16/48 limitation but it's for local files and some streaming like Google, Tidal and Quboz only. It's on the Google Play store for like 10$.

If you want streaming apps, just get a recent Android DAP with the full play store like the DX160 or similar DAPs. No modding or tweaking involved.

Jun 4, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #13 of 21
I don't think it matters that much to be honest. Unless your after bitperfect replay and all, don't bother. If, down the road, you want to experiment it out, feel free to do so. I care to some extent but I'm totally good with 16/44.

UAPP is used to bypass Android 16/48 limitation but it's for local files and some streaming like Google, Tidal and Quboz only. It's on the Google Play store for like 10$.

If you want streaming apps, just get a recent Android DAP with the full play store like the DX160 or similar DAPs. No modding or tweaking involved.

Got the DX160 here are pics and first impressions:

IMG-20200603-WA0022.jpeg
IMG-20200603-WA0014.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-02 at 21.29.03.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-02 at 21.29.12.jpeg
IMG-20200603-WA0022.jpeg
20200603_112814.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-02 at 21.30.14.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-03 at 08.15.27 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-03 at 08.15.27.jpeg

OK so my first impression was a bit disappointing from how light the device is and it felt not so quality built especially the volume wheel....

after 30 mins that all changed..... there will always be a kind of shock after seeing something virtually and then actually holding it.
after several days I can say its just a great device. UI is sharp quick and responsive, like the newest smartphones on the market. screen is amazing, the size is just right not to small not to bulky very light. I have spotify and tidal on it and both work great, seamless operation. Offline mode works perfect. sound is great, nice and natural. MQA files work great, screen says 192 khz but not sure I can tell the difference especially with the headphones i'm using( QC 35 ii wired). Volume output is good on the hi res files but on normal files I was spinning the volume wheel over 90 towards the 100 limit , but there is a high gain volume option which is great and provide lots of power to drive. I was told only drawback with high gain is you will get hiss if using with iems.... anyway I cant tell any loss in quality when using high gain. Wifi is not the best range, but then I use it mainly to download for offline listening, Bluetooth works fine also paired it to headphones and speaker no issues. I did notice that when dowloading tracks if you also stream at the same time you will get glitches, and it will get stuck.

Stuff I dont like - Volume wheel still feels to flimsy, not solid enough, location of power button quite uncomfortable, and smohow when the screen is off the volume wheel dosent respond only the start/pause - FF - RW buttons... but i'm sure i'll find away to fix it.
My new problem now is finding a good pair of open back headphones to match the quality you get from this device.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-06-02 at 21.29.20.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-06-02 at 21.29.20.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back