Sub-$300 cans for gaming, music (top40, electronica)
Jun 30, 2008 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

taso89

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in the process of getting a new PC, so I decided I'm gonna upgrade from my Sony MDR-V6's too. Seems like I've gotten into the inevitable 'Head-Fi Financial Black Hole'
smily_headphones1.gif

I do plan on playing games (Crysis, RTS's, anything recent), and I listen to a wide variety of music but particularly whatever's on the top charts + dance, techno. And I do like my bass.

1. Any recommendations for the cans? I'm thinking Denon AH-D2000's or whatever else you guys can suggest. No preference in closed or open. How much of a difference am I going to hear, upgrading from the V6's?

2. My source will be either an Asus Xonar DX or onboard optical out + Total Bithead. Or would it make sense to get both the sound card and the Total Bithead, would the optical out from the Xonar offer better sound than possibly the motherboard's optical out? I don't know how high-quality the Total Bithead is, but I know the front output on the Asus Xonar DX is so good, there might not be any point to buy an amp too. Unless of course, the sound card can't drive the D2000's, I'm not sure.

Also does the Total Bithead use CPU cycles for audio processing or does it do its own thing?

3. Is there anywhere in NYC that I can go to actually hear some headphones? I know AudioCubes is one place.

Sorry, I know it's a lot of questions.

Jun 30, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #2 of 22
Hi Taso=]
I game and listen to electronica too, and right now I'm enjoying the JVC HP-M1000 a whole lot. It is a very detailed can, with awesome bass that rawkkkks for stuff like drum and bass, and highs that are also excellent for trance. The soundstage also does justice to both of these genres. And the instrument placement is spot on, serving me very well, particularly since I game competitively(Quake 2 - call me oldsk00l
tongue.gif
I also play newer stuff, like BF2 and Combat Arms). These cans are also very easy to drive.

You've asked if you there is a chance to check out these headphones in NYC. You're in luck. Audiocubes in Manhattan has the M1000 for audition. They can be had for under $200.

Good luck=]

*edit* You can check out my more of my thoughts on the M1000 here, and in a shorter post, here.

Jun 30, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #3 of 22
Thanks denl,

The M1000 is definitely another contender. What's your source when gaming on the M1000's?

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by taso89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks denl,

The M1000 is definitely another contender. What's your source when gaming on the M1000's?

An X-fi xtrememusic sound card, connected to a Pioneer VSX-305 that drives the M1000. I now use entertainment mode for BF2 instead of gaming mode...it provides a wider, deeper soundstage with noticeably more detail. But I can't use EAX 5 with that mode. It's alright though, because EAX 2 sounds just fine=]

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 22
I'm also curious as to how the Audio Technica A900 compares to the Denon D2000 and JVC HP-M1000

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 22
The D2000's sound like they would do you well, although I'm not sure how they would pair with a Total Bithead. But you'll probably enjoy the bass on them
wink.gif

As for sound stage for games, it doesn't sound like you're a competitive gamer in to counter-strike or anything. The Denon's apparently have a decent soundstage for music, so they'll probably do fine for games/movies.

Jun 30, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #8 of 22
It sounds like the M1000 might be for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, matters of source: what do you guys think about an Asus Xonar DX? I would like to spend no more than ~$150 for source.

Jun 30, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 22
I haven't personally heard the Xonar, but according to this review here, it bests the x-fi, which I can personally say sounds great, since my x-fi xm has pleased me for 2 years straight. The Xonar can also emulate EAX 5, so you're not losing out on creative's main features when going to the Xonar. But, I'll let someone who has personally heard the Xonar chime in=]

Jul 1, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #10 of 22
I'm actually not sure anymore.. I kinda want to try an amp + cans setup.

I think the Asus Xonar DX is more than good as a DAC, and I do want to use it as my source because of EAX and stuff like that for gaming. How would this setup be:

Asus Xonar DX => Sub-$200 desktop amp => M1000

Or maybe I should indeed look into something like the HD-595's or D2000.

Jul 1, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #11 of 22
you should also consider the ultrasone hfi-780 and dt770/80's. i recently made a thread asking the same basic thing and i ended up choosing the hfi-780. i've owned a pair of dt770/80's for the past two years and they are very good for gaming/electronic music. my hfi-780's are still in the mail so i can't really comment on them atm.

Jul 1, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #12 of 22
It's a shootout between these three then:

Denon D2000 - ~$300
S2 recabled Ultrasone HFI 780 - $240
JVC HP-M1000 - $180

HELP?!?!? Ahhhhhh. I'm leaning towards the 780's

Jul 1, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #13 of 22
I do not recommend the 780s for gaming. Their soundstage is very small. And they are uncomfortable for extended periods of use - hurt outer ear, and make ears sweat.

Look at the list of headphones i've owned. The best headphones i've tried for gaming, are the Beyer DT880 '05 editions. The AKG K601s come in second.

Jul 1, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #14 of 22
How's bass in the DT880? I'm looking for tight bass as I listen to a lot of electronica and pop, and a little classical and rock as well. Would you still recommend these out of the headphones mentioned in this thread?

From what I read the DT880's are transparent but not necessarily the best for my musical choices.

Jul 1, 2008 at 9:59 AM Post #15 of 22
The DT880s provide some of the best quality, tight bass i've heard in a headphone.

They work very well for what i listen to: Hard Rock, Metal, Classical and New Age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back