Sub $250 Amp for DT880
Oct 26, 2008 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

chinesekiwi

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, what's in the thread title really. Solid-state or tubed, I don't mind.
I prefer synergy over anything else. I've looked up search but most of the threads are 2007 and 2006ish and there might of been new amps on the block that I might consider since then.

Thanks. It's just that I'm concerned my current H5 might not give the DT880's justice.

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 18
Grats on the '03s!
tongue.gif

I'll second the LD MKIII. Hard to beat at it's price range and so far they've been excellent to deal with.

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #4 of 18
I haven't heard a Little Dot, but I got a listen with an Eddie Current Lunchbox II at a recent meet. It sounded pretty good and it's in your price range.

Oct 26, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard a Little Dot, but I got a listen with an Eddie Current Lunchbox II at a recent meet. It sounded pretty good and it's in your price range.

I hate to steal your thread, but Uncle Erik, do you know if the Lunchbox works well with most headphones?

Oct 26, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #8 of 18
The Darkvoice 336i is a fantastic amp. I have owned one for about a year w/ no complaints.

Oct 26, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #9 of 18
I dunno 'bout the MKIII reading this:

Quote:

MKIII vs. Corda Headfive (both are rather similar except in the following areas)

MKIII:

* Larger bass presence
* Better soundstage
* Mids are more silky

Headfive:

* Better upper-mids
* Better lower-highs
* More transparent

mmmmmm......

Little Dot MK III: An Exclusive Review

A proper they-know-what-they're-doing review as well.
The MKIII is significantly more expensive than my H5 as well I bought (I think I was at least the third owner of mine) for ~$150 US.

EDIT: Reading up, and considering my source is an X-fi Prelude, I would think the Prelude would bottleneck the rest of the setup with a Little Dot Mark III.
See, synergy concerns. I should of posted that as well.

Oct 26, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #10 of 18
MKIII is $199 US on eBay, not 'significantly' more expensive than $150 really.

MKIII or DV 336i are probably your safest bets, of course there are tons of other amps out there so good luck with your searching!

Just noticed your edit: Perhaps time to upgrade source also?

Oct 26, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #11 of 18
Have the MKII and the DT880's...I can only imagine the MKIII will be better!

Oct 26, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MKIII is $199 US on eBay, not 'significantly' more expensive than $150 really.

MKIII or DV 336i are probably your safest bets, of course there are tons of other amps out there so good luck with your searching!

Just noticed your edit: Perhaps time to upgrade source also?

Could really only upgrade the front opamp tbh unless I buy an external DAC as well since I need the gaming aspect of the X-fi Prelude.
Buying an external DAC will result in me selling the Prelude tbh as it basically rendered useless if I only use the gaming aspect of it when I could buy a X-fi Xtremegamer to fit that need = a lot of hassle.

Also it doesn't factor in shipping and OMG >.< exchange rate atm (gone down 7 cents in the last week vs. The US).

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #14 of 18
Well, considering you live in NZ perhaps it would be cheaper for you with exchange rates to buy directly from Little Dot exchanging NZ $ for Chinese currency. Don't know if that would help or not though.

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone heard of the Bada PH-30 (not the more known PH-12 on here) or Cyrus IIIi?

I've had an excellent experience with the D2000/Bada PH-12 combination; ditto for the D5000. : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back