Sub $200 USB DAC for the office
Apr 7, 2012 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nullstring

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking to get back into this hobby with some D2000's (Or maybe SRH940's) for the office.

I'll need a DAC to pair with it and there seems to be a large influx of cheaper DACs into the community.
I was originally just going to buy a FIIO E10, but it looks like there might be some others worth looking at. (Calyx Coffee?)

What would you guys recommend I take a look at?
Dynamics are the most important to me.

Thanks

EDIT: also looking at audio-gd NFB - 12.
So many choices =/

Apr 8, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #2 of 9
Audioengine D1 fits the bill very nicely for me. USB powered with a second optical input as well. The mini headphone jack on it will easily handle D2000 and 940. It's a nice step up from the Squeezebox Touch DAC.

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 9
Audioengine D1 or the Fiio E17. Both are quiet excellent from it what it seems , both can do 192/24 via optical (Audioengine) or spdif (Fiio E17). The D1 is more friendly to external amps though since it has RCA output but its bus powered so it isn't portable like the Fiio E17 is.

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #4 of 9
I'm thinking along the same lines (and looking at some of the same products) you are.

These are my thoughts, and hopefully they help you work out your decision as well.   Consider these things: 1) Which headphones have you decided on, the more musical-full ones or the more reference-flat ones?  2) Do you need electric portability (battery or USB power)?  3) If you had the extra inputs, would you actually make use of them?  4)  For what use you would get out of these functions, is it worth the possible, TEENY TINY compromise in sound quality?  That won't make your decision for you, but it should help narrow down the field.

Another newer product is the HRT Headstreamer, although reviews and impressions are pretty scarce at the moment.  Its asynch principle and digitally-controlled analog attenuator (different from a digital volume control!) are a couple of nice features that seem to emphasize an "audio purity" design orientation.  But I don't like that the USB plug and phone out are on the same face plate, nor is the visual presentation that pleasing.
The Calyx Coffee has some nice control options and is stylish to have out on your desk (especially compared to the Headstreamer, which is a bit ugly).  It appears somewhat bulkier than the HRT, but the HRT is TINY.
These, and the iBasso D7 (another newbie with 24/192 through USB - which I didn't think was possible in this product segment), all come from more-or-less Head-Fi-approved brands.

I might end up going with one of these, because their simplicity is elegant.

However, like you, I also value dynamics. If you are sitting in an office using full-sized cans that need significant volume, you might need to find something with a real power supply.  (Your two suggestions above don't seem to be the most difficult loads, but they could benefit from a little bit of spunk!)  USB-powered devices are in principle short on dynamics, given their (in-) ability to draw significant electrical current.   I have a laptop with which I need to travel, and so anything DC-powered is out.  Thankfully, none of these suggestions require being plugged into a wall.  Your situation might be different - if your workstation is fixed, and your dac/amp is going to be fixed too, you'll have a few more options at a few more price points.

But if you travel, even only sometimes, you'll need to choose something that does not rely on mains power.  That means you need something with a battery, or you need to rely on USB power, probably at the cost of dynamics.  None of these 4 (iBasso, HRT, Calyx, Audioengine) has a battery.

Which is where the Fiio comes in.  Not just for its battery and impressive (claimed) power output, but because the Fiio is king in terms of functionality.  But how much does that matter?  The only function that is actually a bonus to me is its battery.  The non-USB inputs make it so much more dynamic a product, but which I could only KIND OF enjoy ONCE IN A WHILE.  In particular, the 24/192 spdif or optical connection is awesome - but my laptop doesn't have spdif or optical out, so that is pretty much worthless.  (I could play with it at home, which sounds fun, but the purpose of this purchase is not for home use, where I have a superior set up anyways.)  The tonal controls are also awesome, but I'm assuming that the other products were developed with a very pleasant and well-rounded sound signature already.  So then how much can the tone controls really be worth?  With something as full-sounding as the d2000 you might want to emphasize a source that is more clarity-focused than the Fiio.  With the Shures you might want something that is more musical in sound.  In fact, while reviews of the Alpen are definitely positive, if you read closely, there is not too much excitement over the sound signature.  I'm just guessing here, but it is likely because they put so much effort into functionality that they neglected final sound quality just a bit.  In that case, the Fiio D2000 match might not be too bad.  The match to the SRH940s might be a little ho-hum.

Conclusion?  If you need and/or can take advantage of the Fiio's functionality - battery power, tone controls, optical or coaxial inputs - then there is absolutely no question that you should get the Alpen.
But for my situation - laptop travel, don't feel like I could make use of the other inputs and outputs - then I'd rather emphasize sound quality.  Most important, perhaps, is how each of them works with your headphones, which you haven't even chosen yet!

(By the way, Headphone Addict's review of the D1 says, actually, that it has good volume, and also good synergy with his modded D7000 - might be of interest to you.)

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #5 of 9
I've been trying to figure this out for the best few days and I've come to the following conclusions:

• I've decided against getting a larger, "fixed" unit. While the office environment would allow it.. I've realized that I can't possibly be completely satisfied by most of the DACs in this price range, and it will need to be upgraded in the relatively near future. However, a portable unit would allow two things: (1) Give me a DAC to use immediately for a low price (2) Once it does get replaced by a higher priced model, it can still be useful as a lower priced casual unit for those times I travel.
  • For the same reasons as above, I've decided to go with a combination production: DAC and AMP.

Right now, here are the devices I am considering.
  • Fiio E17
  • Audioengine D1
  • Calyx Coffee
  • iBasso D7
  • HRT Headstreamer
  • Arcam rPAC

iBasso D7 is my current favorite. On paper, iBasso D7 looks very impressive. It uses an XMOS chip for aysnc USB and known good DAC WM8740.
However, once you've been in the hobby awhile you realize that design and implemention is more important than part choice... especially at this price point.

That said, I am drooling over these pictures:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587361/d7-sidewinder-initial-impressions

Still, I can't seem to find any comparisons of the iBasso D7 vs any of the DACs listed above.

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 9
I have the HRT Headstreamer and I think it's one of the great values out there.  That said, it runs a bit on the bright side (not bad, but a bit bright) and may not make the best match with the Shure 940.  I use it with the Shure 840 and the AKG K-81DJ and think it's passable enough that most of the time I leave my other amps and DAC's at home.

Apr 14, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #8 of 9
The same review sonq linked makes reference to another on the D1, by the same author:
http://www.avguide.com/review/audioengine-d1-dacheadphone-amp-playback-54

It sounds utterly amazing...  Perfect for your uses (although not ideal for mine, using IEMs, given the D1's 10-ohm output impedance and sensitive volume according to HeadphoneAddict).  Both the D1 and the Coffee could be great - maybe you could choose based on the $30 price difference, form factor, connectivity, etc.?
The Headstream, with 1-ohm output impedance, may suit me better?

If someone knows of a good review on the iBasso D7, please point me to it.

At any rate, I'm pretty sure that any one of these choices will put out great sound - and without trying the other ones side by side, you'd never get to know the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back