Sub-$200 open headphones to compliment my ATH-M50s
Sep 13, 2009 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Gtarguy

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of open ear headphones for under 200 US dollars. I currently have the Audio Technica ATH-M50s closed ear headphones (which I do really like), but would like to get some open ones because from what I understand, the sound quality is better. I currently have a Cmoy amp and don't really plan to buy another amp, so I don't want any headphones that would require a better one.

I listen to variety of music: mainly classical, jazz, and alternative rock. I don't really listen to anything heavy like harder rock or metal.

The models that I've been researching are the Sennheiser HD595 and the Grado SR line. Any thoughts or other recommendations would be helpful. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 13
Oops, I forgot to add that. I use an iPod (with line out dock connector) or macbook. I would prefer to buy new. Thanks.

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggest considering the HD595, HD555 and modding it (search HD555), or the AD700. I've owned all 3, used the HD555 and AD700 from sound cards and the HD595 from a receiver. I enjoyed the HD595 the most, especially with jazz.

Did you try the K701/2?
k701smile.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you try the K701/2?
k701smile.gif

Can those be bought new for under $200?

x2 on the HD 555. Or consider the SR225i if you want to go Grado. But I think it's slightly more risky than the HD 555, in that some people have adverse reactions to Grado. I think the sound signature of the ATH-M50 is closer to the HD 555 anyway.

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #8 of 13
I suggest getting a used HD580 and then buying an amp sooner (or later)

Honestly, the thing sounds pretty nice without an amp, (I don't think that my SSMH does it justice at all because the setup when using it is very far from massive.)

HD555/595 seem end of the road to me. They don't benefit from amping, and they cost nearly the same amount.... so, why not get a headphone that sounds good, and will sound amazing (from what I've read) when you get an amp later.

If they don't perform to you liking in the end, the HD580's are discontinued and highly regarded and will pretty much always resell damn well.

just my 2 cents =)

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #11 of 13
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm going to try to find a place nearby that carries good headphones and would let me try them out. I have heard a wide variety of opinions on Grados, but some people also have problems with Sennheisers. I guess I'm leaning more towards the Senns. I can get HD595s new on amazon for around $150.

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #12 of 13
Your following statement is why Grado headphones are not being suggested.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gtarguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to variety of music: mainly classical, jazz, and alternative rock. I don't really listen to anything heavy like harder rock or metal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gtarguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard a wide variety of opinions on Grados, but some people also have problems with Sennheisers.

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your following statement is why Grado headphones are not being suggested.

Ok, gotcha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back