Sub-200$ IEM with good end-to-end extension and presence, tonal neutrality and detail? GR07? e-Q5? RE-400? Others?
Mar 6, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #16 of 46
Here's a graph that I think shows how good they sound and yes they're is roll off that starts around 10k but you still here it up to around 16K to 17K but even most bright IEM's start to roll off at 17K to 19K.

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #17 of 46
Yeah, that's the graph I was talking about. They look really competent to me until 10k, and while you have a point about the relatively sparse information in most music above 10k, there are overtones and upper harmonics in that range. In music production, it's rather vital to the overall brilliance and air of the presentation. I'm just a little worried about that steep roll-off from 10k onwards. Then again, this is just one measurement, and a measurement doesn't convey the entire picture.

Honestly, the e-Q5 and GR07 MkII are tied at the moment in my eyes, with the RE-400 also a contender.

If someone who owns both the e-Q5 and GR07 at hand can put aside the time to give them a head-to-head shootout, in terms of frequency balance/neutrality, treble extension and presence, and detail retrieval, that'd be wonderful.

That aside, thank you for all your help, Techno Kid. :)

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #18 of 46
I still say you should just wait tell I get the RE-400 which should be no later than Monday and you can research some IEM's more.

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #19 of 46
Yeah, the RE-400 still has my attention. I'm waiting for your impressions, and |joker|'s review as well.

Until then, I hope more people have some comparisons of the GR07 MkII and the e-Q5, especially in terms of treble extension, neutrality and detailing.

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #20 of 46
I can tell you right now that both the e-Q5 and GR07 have pretty much the same amount of detail and both have a midrange on the warm side though they're not to warm like the SM3 or UM3X can be.

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #22 of 46
Also, forgot to add, instrument separation and clear, uncongested, open presentation, with no bloat or 'slowness' is really important to me.

How do the GR07 and E-Q5 fair against each other there?

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #23 of 46
GR07 is slower, a bit more smeared, but not significantly so. EQ5 is really lacking extension, but lower treble is fine, though a bit forward. 

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #24 of 46
Here are some thoughts I've put together about the GR07, compared to other iems. Second link contains something regarding the Ety HF5, which may be similar enough to your R-50 to give you a proper baseline. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/572175/vsonic-gr07-perfection

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631704/double-review-etymotic-hf3-sony-xba-3-with-appearances-from-the-vsonic-gr07-mkii

http://www.head-fi.org/t/646964/review-jvc-fxz-100-fun-o-phile

As for a direct  comparison between the GR07 and EQ-5, the only person I know who owns both is the member James444. I suggest sending him a PM to see what he has to say.

Good luck with your search.

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #25 of 46
As for Techno Kid's comment about sound stage depth, I have to disagree. The GR07 has excellent width and depth. The issue is that there isn't as much height in the center channel as there is in the left and right ones. This is really only an issue in a handful of tracks.

Check out Chesky's binaural albums to see what I'm talking about.

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #26 of 46
Quote:
As for Techno Kid's comment about sound stage depth, I have to disagree. The GR07 has excellent width and depth. The issue is that there isn't as much height in the center channel as there is in the left and right ones. This is really only an issue in a handful of tracks.

Check out Chesky's binaural albums to see what I'm talking about.

I respect your view of how the soundstage is on the GR07 but its been a well known that they lack the depth a lot of other top-tier IEM's.  If the GR07 had more depth to the soundstage it would easily be one of my favorite IEM's but I still think its a really good IEM.

Also you were right about me not liking the FXZ100, it was just the mids that were to recessed and lacked detail and the mids of the FXT90 are what I didn't like also.

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #27 of 46
For what it's worth, I play guitar myself (mostly on a high-end acoustic) and the thing that has impressed me immensely with the eq-5 is how they convey guitar tone. I guess it's because the mids are incredible..

Like I said in the eq-5 thread: they have a little less energy in the treble than the RE-0, but the latter is known for it's extension. I have to be fair and warn you that the treble is indeed a little rolled off compared to where you may be coming from. Having said that, I don't find them lacking for any of the music I listen to (which is mostly rock) and I'd say they are among the brighter IEMs I have listened to. They respond very well to EQ'ing as well (in fact, I EQ the low end a little to get a little more bass impact). Soundstage is also fantastic, so all-round a great IEM.

If you post some links to music you listen to I can have a listen for you with both my RE-0 and eq-5 to see whether I can pick up the differences. I'm confident that treble extension is excellent on the RE-0, so it should provide a good comparison.

p.s. almost picked up an SE Tremonti last year, but had to prioritise. Was going to switch out the pups for USA originals, but other than that great guitars for the money..

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #28 of 46
Quote:
For what it's worth, I play guitar myself (mostly on a high-end acoustic) and the thing that has impressed me immensely with the eq-5 is how they convey guitar tone. I guess it's because the mids are incredible..

Like I said in the eq-5 thread: they have a little less energy in the treble than the RE-0, but the latter is known for it's extension. I have to be fair and warn you that the treble is indeed a little rolled off compared to where you may be coming from. Having said that, I don't find them lacking for any of the music I listen to (which is mostly rock) and I'd say they are among the brighter IEMs I have listened to. They respond very well to EQ'ing as well (in fact, I EQ the low end a little to get a little more bass impact). Soundstage is also fantastic, so all-round a great IEM.

If you post some links to music you listen to I can have a listen for you with both my RE-0 and eq-5 to see whether I can pick up the differences. I'm confident that treble extension is excellent on the RE-0, so it should provide a good comparison.

p.s. almost picked up an SE Tremonti last year, but had to prioritise. Was going to switch out the pups for USA originals, but other than that great guitars for the money..

The mids of the e-Q5 are some of the best I've heard and the over all signature and sound of whole IEM is just very good.  Like I've said I was shocked when comparing them with the SM3 V2 and how the e-Q5 sounds every bit as good and even better in some cases.  The fact that you can get them from Japan for around $165 make them a no brainer if your looking for a an IEM with great mids a spacious and cohesive soundstage with very good 3D imaging.

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #29 of 46
he can also get the re-272 for 199$ from amazon.com

i had both re-272 and eq-5 , and i had to sell the eq-5 and keep the re-272

to be honest , if eq-5 didn't sound at times sibilant , i would consider it perhaps even better than the 272

both iems seem to be the best for under 200$ , sow hichever you choose you will probably like it

Quote:
I think the treble of the e-Q5 sound quite natural and even and they can get plenty bright imo.  I just think its the best IEM under $200 hands down so if you got them I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back