sub-$125 headphone recommendations needed
Dec 30, 2008 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking to get back into headphones (been on sabbatical for a while) and I'm looking at the following choices for an "under $125" set of cans:

Grado SR60 ($70)
Ultrasone HIF-450 ($99)
Sennheiser HD25SP ($90-100)
AKG K81DJ ($50-80)
Beyerdynamic DT235 ($65)

I mainly listen to rock, and have an iPod mini, an older Shuffle, and a Sony mp3 player, and a couple assorted pcdp's.

Closed would be nice, but not an absolute necessity. I would like something that I could listen to while laying down.

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 8
I can vouch for the K81 DJ as a good fit for your requirements- but defoam it or it will sound dull. They're my go-to traveling cans. Pretty well balanced sound after removing those foam inserts, closed with good isolation, easy to drive, easy to lie down with. Fold very small (into the provided pouch) for traveling. Might want to experiment with gently bending the headband so they don't crush your ears.

I find Grados (SR80 is my home can) marginal as far as sensitivity with portable players. The K81DJ seems to be a much easier load.

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 8
I am quite impressed with my Sennheiser HD280s for $89. The only catch is that they are extremely sensitive, so if your amp has even the slightest trace of noise, you will hear it.
They are pretty comfortable, they are closed, and I can lay down with them on. Amazing bass for the price.

Dec 30, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 8
I'd recommend the HD555. Picked up a pair for $99 with free shipping at Newegg. Arrived the next day. They're wonderful for the price, and comfortable enough to wear all day.

Dec 31, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am quite impressed with my Sennheiser HD280s for $89. The only catch is that they are extremely sensitive, so if your amp has even the slightest trace of noise, you will hear it.
They are pretty comfortable, they are closed, and I can lay down with them on. Amazing bass for the price.

I had the HD280's before-- with a receiver's headphone jack, they sounded huuuuge. The big negative is the fact that the headband is prone to cracking on them-- something Sennheiser never bothered to address & fix.

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 8
I'd recommend the Ortofon O-One for about $130, if you want open-like speaker sound and less warmth and euphonic lower mids than the HFI-550, which Ultrasone also makes. The Ortofon O2, which is due to hit the states any time now, is a more dj friendly non-s-logic sound. Think of the difference between audiophile speakers versus JBL or Cerwin Vega. For djs, a lot of people actually prefer the latter's sound.

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 8
Z8PB0.png

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 8
Any grado or grado alternative that you can get in your price range. Great with rock and easy to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back