Sub-$100 Soundcard or USB DAC
Jun 27, 2011 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

cheezburger

Head-Fier
Hello guys,
My crappy on-board Realtek HD has started to behave strangely, so I'm looking for a cheap soundcard or USB DAC. I'm not doing any recordings, so there is no need in input or input quality. It is going to be used with Brainwavz B2 IEMs and some entry-fi full-sized headphones for music and cheap headphones for gaming. I'm ready to spend about $80 now, but I'll manage $100 if it is necessary.
From what I've randomly read before here and in the Web, ASUS Xonar DS and Fiio E7 have good bang/buck. I've asked about this on another forum, and they recommended me Audiotrack Prodigy Cube and E-MU 0202 (though it is a litle bit too expensive for me).

Jun 27, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 10
Fiio E7 will warm up and broaden your sound signature. I'd say that synergizes with the B2's balanced sound.

Jun 28, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 10
If you do not need an integrated amp, the Behringer UCA202 is a great buy.  It does have a headphone out, but it doesn't like low impedence phones. Adding a Fiio E5 to that is a rather good entry level combo for under $50 from amazon.

Jun 28, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
You could also get a uDAC. The new one's( uDAC-2 ) are $125 or so, but the first ones are just at or under $100.

For those who consider things like uDAC-2: http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/nuforce-udac-2-drama.html

Jun 28, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 10
Kudos, Roller, thanks for the info.

SantinoSan, the resource Roller posted a link to says:

Quote:
Most of these headphones are 80 – 600 ohms and would work reasonably well with the Behringer depending on how loud you want to listen and their sensitivity. But with typical 16 to 32 ohm portable headphones, it’s a different story. Here the UCA202 struggles. And with most balanced armature style IEMs, the frequency response will no longer be even close to flat due to the impedance interaction (see: Headphone & Amp Impedance).

I'm not really good at the tech side of things, so you are saying that Fiio E5 would "fix" that problem with lower impedance phones? If it would not, I don't think I need it, as I've read that B2s do not really need amplificaton, and E5 doesn't noticeably improve SQ and adds hiss. Correct me please if I am wrong.

J.Pocalypse, thanks for a suggestion. It is quite hard to find a new uDAC for sale, I guess, but it is quite common at the For Sale/Trade section here, so I'll try to find one.

Jun 28, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #7 of 10
The E5 would fix this problem.  My triple.fis do not play well with the UCA202 because of the impedance output, but when I added the E5 in the line and measured the response, it was ruler flat. The UCA had a terrible frequency response with them.  The impedance swings with a dual ba would require the amp. 

The easier solution is an E7, but it is more $.  I too would stay away from the Nuforce...that link above is very telling.

Jun 28, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #9 of 10
From my experience listening to both amps...the E7 has a no hiss that I can hear with any of my phones while the E5 has a little...very slight.  Other than hiss I noticed very little if any difference.  I will say the E5 is built a bit cheaper, and I had to re-solder one of the volume micro switches, but it has been fine since.  The E7 seems built very well, and to me is worth the price difference and ease of use over the two separate pieces, but I can't say if it would be worth it to anyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back