Sub$100 Multi purpose Headphones (Home-Studio)
Jul 20, 2010 at 9:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

P.F. Jo

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
firstly, for the forum skeptics, I have indeed used the "Search" Button, but it appears my situation is rather unique as I didn't find any specific related threads to what I'm looking for.

Onwards to topic, I am looking for a decent pair of preferably CLOSED "Over the Ear" [Circumaural?] type of Headphones.
Their intended use will be late night music listening, perhaps watching video too, but mostly home-studio recording.
I don't like bassy phones or over colored, I'd much rather a clean, forward-sounding headphone with good soundstage.
They are going to be connected via a Yamaha Mixer's "Phones" jack mostly, which in turn is connected to a Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeMusic.
I suppose its worth mentioning that I don't mind getting a B-Stock, 2nd Hand, etc... but I prefer NIB for obvious reasons.

Price-wise, my absolute MAX is 100$ SHIPPED [Outside US, shipping is about 10-15$], I would prefer to even get something lesser than that, maybe 60-70 pre-shipped.

Thanks,
-Jo.

Jul 20, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #2 of 23
I recently got the Fostex T50rp headphones. Shipped from amazon they were $80. I'm really impressed with them, I got them for mixing and you can hear every detail. If the source doesn't sound good, you'll hear it. After doing a frequency sweep with them, I'd say theres a small bump in the mid range around 1k to 3k, but I don't think its overly colored at all. It just brings the vocals forwardreally nicely. Even with the forward sounding vocals I think the soundstage is still pretty decent. The stereo separation also really good. For a closed can, I'm really impressed with how open they sound.

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #4 of 23
I would second the Sony MDR7506.  I also like the Sennheiser HD280 Pro.  To me the 7506's are a little warm and the HD280's are a little lean.  It sounds like the ideal headphone would be the Audio Technica ATH-M50 but they're over your budget.  Maybe keep an eye out for a used pair of those. 

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #5 of 23
For me, the best are the Audio Technica ATH-M40FS. I have a pair in loan from a friend because several mixing engineers recommend them to me. Perfect detail, soundstage, very very flat response. Yo are capable of hearing any imperfection in the mix.

If you can pay a little more, I would recommend the Shure SRH840... Amazing. In the same price range you also have the AKG K 271 MK II, which are a little less balanced in the bass than the SRH840, IMHO.

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #6 of 23
I recommend some of these closed cans; Sennheiser HD280 Pro, Shure 440, Sennheiser HD 448, sony MDR-V6
Thought I've never tried these, they seem like good monitoring headphones under $100

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #7 of 23
I'm going to echo the recommendations for the Fostex T50RP.  They are extremely flat, and extremely detailed.  They handle everything fairly well, and they punch well above what they sell for.

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #8 of 23
Make that 3 for the fostex t50RP. I got mine just the other day and im still in the process of burning in but they sound great even after the first 10 hours. They are excelent for what your looking to use them for. 

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
Make that 3 for the fostex t50RP. I got mine just the other day and im still in the process of burning in but they sound great even after the first 10 hours. They are excelent for what your looking to use them for. 

Burning a planar headphone? 
confused_face(1).gif
 I thought that the planar headphones were totally different that the dynamics and that they didn't have any part that should require burning. Anyway, I don't believe in the burning process, it's such a myth.

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #10 of 23
The burn-in isn't needed for the drivers, it's for the cables.

Juuuuuust kidding.

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #11 of 23
I've been listening to my Fostex T50rps for probably over 50 hours now and haven't heard any changes at all compared to my other cans. Also, if you do get them and don't like something about their sound, it's very easy to modify and adjust the sound signature.

joelpearce, the cable comment was awesome haha.

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #12 of 23
From your description sounds like K-240NKll, or the K271MKll. For me the K-702 do the job big time, but you'll need hps amp or better sound card like the Apogee's to drive them. BTW, for under $100 you can get the M-50 on ebay.

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #13 of 23
Hey,

Firstly thank's to ALL of you who replied, and quickly too!

Currently, The Fostex T50rps looks like a pretty good option, I am also considering the Sennheiser's , as for the Sony, Are you sure they're not Bassy type of phones?

About the SQ, I think I didn't explain myself, I'm not trying to get the most flat-freq phones, I actually rather the mids to be a bit forward [3-6khz] but without recessing the high's too much [Most important thing for me in the phones is clean highs], and bass is anything but bloated, tight and punchy is fine, but if thats too much askin'... then i'd rather have a bit to less bass than too much of it.

So with that new info, is there a better choice than the T50rps?

BTW, some of you mentioned that if the source isn't good, the phones will make it very noticeable, which brings the question, is my source considered good? Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic connected to Yamaha MG82cx [which has a 1/4" Phones specific Jack].

Thanks,
-Jo.

P.S. Is there an option to use the old site's layout? I don't like the new one too much.

Jul 20, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #14 of 23
The MDR7506's are definitely not bassy. Neither are the T50rp's. I like the bass from the T50rp's though, very fast and clean, not bloated at all. Both of these headphones phones have clean highs, but I think the MDR7506's sound a bit bright. 

Also, I think you're source will be fine. When I said source, I more so meant the actual recording. If the music wasn't well recorded you'll notice with both the sony's and fostex's. That being said, well recorded music sounds even more awesome 
dt880smile.png

Jul 22, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #15 of 23
Hi

Alright, so I narrowed it to: Sony MDR7506, Fostex T50RP, ATH m50 or NIB m40fs [how big is the diff between them?] and Edit: AKG K240 [I just noticed they're well in my price range].

I figure that because most of my posts here are too long, I get few replies so I'll repeat shortly over what I posted already.

SQ should be clear highs [as clear as possible for the price], Mids a bit forward [3~6khz] and either very little bass or very GOOD bass [tight and punchy, not bloated! I'd rather have too little than too much] oh and good soundstage [mids not recessing highs...].

So if anyone got better suggestion for a cans that weren't mentioned yet in this post or opinions of what, out of the already mentioned cans, would suit me best, they'd be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Jo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back