Sub $100 iems reccomendations
Apr 8, 2008 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

homsar57

Head-Fier
Well my V-moda vibes just bit the dust and I'm looking to replace them. I liked the vibes, for the price the sound was very nice. Im looking for a pair of well built (Durable) iem's that sound good and have nice, deep,and accurate bass. Lots of people around my town are wearing the Bose Tri-ports, I've heard good things about them, are they worth it? Do you have something better to recommend?

Apr 8, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 18
The Etymotic Research ER6i?

Apr 8, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 18
You really can't get a good IEM for under $100.

The Vibes are canalphones, and the best canalphone at your price range are the Denon AH-C551. They are made of aluminum and definitely have better overall SQ and better bass than the Vibes, which sacrifice SQ for "looks"

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggerc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Etymotic Research ER6i?

These lack bass, which I think the OP wants very much.

Apr 8, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #4 of 18
Well, I bought the Bose in-ears just out of curiosity, and I didn't like them one bit. My guess are the JVC Marshmallows/Air Cushions, the Super.fi3 and perhaps even the Shure SE210 used.

Apr 9, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 18
Bose tri-ports..... hahaha. They must like wasting money.

They are terribly weak in construction and sound ok....at best. You would blow them all away spending what they paid for those tri-poops. Dt 770's, Audio Technica AD700, tons of stuff.

Apr 9, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #8 of 18
Another vote for C551 or C700. Currently C551 is selling for $65 at Amazon and $115 for the C700. Pretty darn good deal !!

Apr 9, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #9 of 18
No sub-100 IEM I've heard beats the Westone UM1 (I've heard ER6, ER6i, E2C, SE210, Super.fi 3, etc), plus the Westones are by far the most comfortable and seem to be the most rugged. I baby my equipment generally though.

Apr 9, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #10 of 18
Apr 9, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #11 of 18
Apparently none of you have heard Altec-Lansing iM716. Since that sale on newegg it has got tons of praising threads, people say it's better than Shure 5 series and come close to triple.fi-s and I also concur that. It may lack bass a bit, but if you want IEMs that sound good full range, you must get triple.fi-s, which are over 300$.

Apr 9, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #13 of 18
sorry all, i'm new to these threads so please excuse my ignorance...

i just ordered the UE Metro.fi 2 and i'm looking to see if that was a good choice and maybe getting another pair to compare. My second choice is the Ety ER6i.

I read a lot of posts about how you can't find a good pair under $100... but that's my price range and so i would like to get the most out of it. Any suggestions?

I have a few pairs of over the ear Senns that i use at home. I'm looking to get a couple of pairs of untra-light headphones to travel with and also do some occasional gaming on my laptop.

Thanks.

Apr 9, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by NNugles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry all, i'm new to these threads so please excuse my ignorance...

i just ordered the UE Metro.fi 2 and i'm looking to see if that was a good choice and maybe getting another pair to compare. My second choice is the Ety ER6i.

I read a lot of posts about how you can't find a good pair under $100... but that's my price range and so i would like to get the most out of it. Any suggestions?

I have a few pairs of over the ear Senns that i use at home. I'm looking to get a couple of pairs of untra-light headphones to travel with and also do some occasional gaming on my laptop.

Thanks.

ER6i's are my favorite < $100.

Apr 9, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by yxmees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently none of you have heard Altec-Lansing iM716. Since that sale on newegg it has got tons of praising threads, people say it's better than Shure 5 series and come close to triple.fi-s and I also concur that. It may lack bass a bit, but if you want IEMs that sound good full range, you must get triple.fi-s, which are over 300$.

i'm reading about these Altec-Lansing now... very interesting. Apparently it's a collab between AL and Etymotic Research.

Has anyone tested them?

EDIT: i just order the iM716 from zipzoomfly and i should also be getting my metro.fi 2 tomorrow. I was really about to get the ER16i because a fair amount of people seem to like them and they're tiny, which i like... a good bit smaller than the super.fi and other brands/models. Many reviews have praised the iM716 to produce a more full sound than the ER6i... and the in-line volume control is nice since my m15x's volume control is not that great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back