Sub $100 headphones for game/movie/portable use?
May 30, 2004 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

JazzJackRabbit

100+ Head-Fier
Hello... Need some advice here. I own HD600 and I like them, however I use them mainly for music and only at home. Now I feel that I need another pair of phones that I can use while playing games and watching movies on my notebook at home and on the train. I searched the forums and it seems there are three likely candidates:
1.Sony D66 - $89
2.Grado SR80 - ~$90
3.Sennheiser PXC200/250? $50/92(if I can get them for such price)

I've never heard any of them, and most likely won't hear until I purchase them because there simply aren't any audioshops that have such phones or would allow me to test them. Does anyone have any advice on which one I should choose? I would appreciate any input.

Couple more pointers though, first - comfort is essential - I've used HD497 and found them terrible, they were physically hurting my ears after 1-2 hours of use, this also means no in-ear phones. And two I'm open to suggestions, if there are any other alternatives to these three phones, please let me know. Thanks...

May 30, 2004 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 12
grado has terrible foreign pricing. maybe thats y he asked. but if ur gonna be using them on the train, u may want 2 avoid the the grados as they are open.

May 31, 2004 at 12:46 AM Post #5 of 12
I know you've already listed three preferences but I haven't used any of them.

If you're open to alternatives for game AND movie AND portable AND<$100?

Sony V6.

That's what I use. Not exactly tiny, but it does fold up and is EXTREMELY durable.

May 31, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 12
GanChan
Oh yeah, V6... totally forgot about them while starting this thread, but they have supra-aurlal design very similar to hd497 so I think they are not gonna be as comfortable as sr80 with new softer earpads upgrade...

skitlets
I'm aware that grado are open but I don't like listening while walking (too much distraction) and I don't think train noise is gonna bother me very much. Besides these will also be used at home extensively so I think I can live with open headphones in this case.

all
I feel I need to clarify things.... I want best sounding (yeah, I know, sounds so cliche
tongue.gif
) and most confortable headphones in this price range. And although I'm probably gonna use them sometimes on the road, I'm not gonna be using them a lot, so this is kind of a secondary concern to me. Both Grados and Sennheisers should be pretty portable though, D66 are not, but once again, I might live with that.

I also have another question - will I gain much by getting sr125 instead of sr80? How do the above headphones including sr125 compare in sound quality?

Thanks...

Jun 17, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #7 of 12
Just wondering if you had made a desicion yet. If so, what did you go with. If not, I have had the Alesandro MS-1's recommended to me as a good alternative in this range as well. They are based on the Grado SR-125's with a more neutral sound and they are less expensive.
icon10.gif

Jun 17, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzJackRabbit
Oh yeah, V6... totally forgot about them while starting this thread, but they have supra-aurlal design very similar to hd497 so I think they are not gonna be as comfortable as sr80 with new softer earpads upgrade...

Just to clear something up, the V6 is not supra-aural. It's circum-aural on most people's ears. And with the Beyer pad mod it becomes one of the most comfortable pair of headphones I've ever tried (actually, very similar to the HD600 with a little less clamping).

Jun 18, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #11 of 12
mektarus
Just wondering if you had made a desicion yet. If so, what did you go with. If not, I have had the Alesandro MS-1's recommended to me as a good alternative in this range as well. They are based on the Grado SR-125's with a more neutral sound and they are less expensive.
No. I got ety6 on sale, but it turned out to be a horrible experience, read here. I decided to get two pairs instead, one specifically for the train and another for home use, something better sounding, prefferably closed and circum-aural. I already ordered Sony E71 for on the go, but I feel that "home" set of cans is gonna be much harder to choose from.

LobsterSan
Just to clear something up, the V6 is not supra-aural. It's circum-aural on most people's ears. And with the Beyer pad mod it becomes one of the most comfortable pair of headphones I've ever tried (actually, very similar to the HD600 with a little less clamping).
Maybe for most, but I don't think they'll fit me. I had senn497 and had to return them because they were too uncomfortable. From what I see V6 have the same ear-cup size. As for the modding idea, I don't really like it - will have to buy pads which probably will cost another $15 and then mod them...
rolleyes.gif

bangraman
D66 not portable but Grado portable
True, you can fold D66 but they are still pretty bulky. With grado you can turn the bowls 90 degrees flat - that way they won't take more space than an average-sized book.

terrymx
ofcourse i am going to recommend my pioneer se-monitor10r for computer purposes.
Seems nice, however after ety6 spectracular failure I'm not sure what I want. I may be willing to upgrade the budget a bit. In any case, it will take me a while to decide on the next course of action...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back