Sub $100, Grado SR60 still the best?
Apr 5, 2004 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

t10

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I listen to a lot of music at home, and all through headphones, since my roomates would not be happy with constant loud music.

Source of my audio is minidsc, I have used my Sharp MD Closed cans (do not know the model, since it is not listed on the cans), they sound awesomme, and I have been using them for the past 4 years.

2 years ago I purchased UR20's for the long cord, but I hate the way they sound, there are no highs at all. I listen to techno/trance, and all I hear is muddy bass. So these I only use to play videogames hehe.

Anyways, 2 weeks ago, the right driver in my sharp cans started cracking/popping. So I need a replacement.

I would preffer something with closed cans. Is there anything that sounds as good as grado SR60 in the same pricerange with closed cans?

Also, SR60 cans are pretty old now, is there anything better in the sub $100 category these days?

Thanks for any input in advance ;p

Apr 5, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Erukian
SR-80's are under $ 100 :p

So are Alessandro MS-1's
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 16
Nothing sounds as good closed for <$100 (or possibly $150), that I know of, however the e2cs and er6s (under $100 w/iDealSound) may come the closest and some likely prefer them.

Other open contenders include Alessandro MS1s, Sony CD780s, Sennheiser HD497s.

Apr 5, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 16
AKG K240S... laid back sounding, good bass, but not muffled-- and very comfy. Very good "groovalizers" and easier to find (and cheaper) than Beyer DT 531's... I bought mine at Guitar Center for $99. They're not completely closed, though (at a normal volume this won't be an issue).

Senn HD280's are great too--- good isolation (won't bug your rooomates).

Apr 5, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 16
thnx for the input guys.

Maan, I live in Canada, and pretty much all the cans that you guys listed except the Sony's would not be available at a local store
frown.gif
, so I would have to shop online.

Customs will most likelly slap me with a mad tax, unless they are shipped as a free gift.

I see this board has a classifieds section. If I purchase a used pair of cans, technically the sound should be the same (if not better since they are burned in) unless the priveous owner abused them. Am I sorta right? Or buying new makes a huge difference?

(If I buy second hand, they can be shipped as a free gift;p )

Apr 5, 2004 at 10:20 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by t10
If I purchase a used pair of cans, technically the sound should be the same (if not better since they are burned in) unless the priveous owner abused them.

Correct. There shouldn't be anything wrong with buying a used set of headphones on here. If anything, it might be preferable, since you could get something cheaper -or- get a better set of headphones and still be w/in your budget.

I still take burn-in with a grain of salt, seeing as how my K240S didn't experience it at all. But maybe they're just not affected.

Apr 5, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #11 of 16
The sr60 made me think I disliked Grado...the ms-1 changed my mind, it's definately a great upgrade from the sr60, and it's an entire $1.00 cheaper than your budget. Hey, we aim to save you money.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 5, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #12 of 16
Personally, I like the SR-60's and the 280's equally but for different reasons. I use my 280's more often since I need the isolation. The 280's sound very good for jazz, hip hop/rap/R&B, and pretty good for acoustic rock and country music and do very well for movies and gaming IMHO (they're good all around cans). But the SR60's are magical for me when it comes to some rock music and their particular colorations can be a lot of fun on acoustic music in general. The SR60's big weak points are reproduction of rap music and gaming or movie watching. The SR60 is also less comfortable then the 280 once the 280 is broken in.

Apr 5, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by plainsong
The sr60 made me think I disliked Grado...the ms-1 changed my mind, it's definately a great upgrade from the sr60, and it's an entire $1.00 cheaper than your budget. Hey, we aim to save you money.
evil_smiley.gif

save money. hahahaha

Apr 6, 2004 at 4:08 AM Post #15 of 16
I love my SR-60's they're absolutely wonderful. They don't really even bug my roommate either and he's really sensitive. I even use them while he sleeps without a problem, overall they're just a great headphone.

~Range

Users who are viewing this thread

Back