sub $100 dollar headphones
Oct 15, 2012 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Tom22

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi i'm a student commuting back and forth from school everyday approximately 3 hours, subway and bus.
i'm aiming for a neutral sounding, good isolation, modern look headphones.
i was just debating between the Philips Citiescape Downtown and the noontec zoros.

I see the downtowns for around 50 on amazon but the greys are at 88. the noontecs are about 100.

Which you would you guys recommend? Is the extra 50 dollars for the noontecs worth it?

Any other headphone suggestions would be appreciated

Oct 15, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 20
Why not get IEMs(in the ear isolating earphones) instead? IEMs will probably isolate better, and will fit in a pocket after you are finished listening.

Oct 15, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:
Why not get IEMs(in the ear isolating earphones) instead? IEMs will probably isolate better, and will fit in a pocket after you are finished listening.

hi thanks for the reply! thing is i like the portability of iems i currently have a few monoprice 8320,8321, klipsch s4i. and the only headphones i have is the monoprice 8323s, they sound good, isolate well, but lets be honest.. they don't look good at all, uninspiring design and i had to add a cushion cover to make up for its lack of comfort in the headband and it looks even dorkier now. 

I'm looking for a more modern design for headphones but preferably more neutral sounding. heard great things about the noontecs zoros except its isolation and heard the isolation on the downtowns to be superb, and its really good for $100, i now see the brown one for around 50 on amazon ( prefer the gray however).

I really want to see the difference in sound quality in comparison to the monoprice cans i have, see how they stack up to those two over achievers according to innerfidelity

Oct 15, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 20
I haven't heard the Downtown. I saw it at Best Buy, so if you are near a Best Buy, you could listen to it there. I recently read that Best Buy is matching Amazon pricing, except for the 10 days near black Friday.

Oct 15, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

hi thanks for the reply! thing is i like the portability of iems i currently have a few monoprice 8320,8321, klipsch s4i. and the only headphones i have is the monoprice 8323s, they sound good, isolate well, but lets be honest.. they don't look good at all, uninspiring design and i had to add a cushion cover to make up for its lack of comfort in the headband and it looks even dorkier now. 

I'm looking for a more modern design for headphones but preferably more neutral sounding. heard great things about the noontecs zoros except its isolation and heard the isolation on the downtowns to be superb, and its really good for $100, i now see the brown one for around 50 on amazon ( prefer the gray however).

I really want to see the difference in sound quality in comparison to the monoprice cans i have, see how they stack up to those two over achievers according to innerfidelity

i disagree about the monoprice 8323. I think it's quite nice looking. Simplistic and functional, just how it should be.

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:
i disagree about the monoprice 8323. I think it's quite nice looking. Simplistic and functional, just how it should be.

what i mean is that its fine for home use, which is what i'm using them for right now, but its design to me is too plain, and i wouldn't walk around campus with it and the fact i add a cushion headband, make it look worse! made it more comfortable but worse aesthetically

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:
I haven't heard the Downtown. I saw it at Best Buy, so if you are near a Best Buy, you could listen to it there. I recently read that Best Buy is matching Amazon pricing, except for the 10 days near black Friday.

no way is this canadian or american.... 

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #10 of 20
Oct 16, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:
what i mean is that its fine for home use, which is what i'm using them for right now, but its design to me is too plain, and i wouldn't walk around campus with it and the fact i add a cushion headband, make it look worse! made it more comfortable but worse aesthetically

I wear mine to and from school everyday man. But i will say, after losing that short cord, it sure is a hassle to have to use the long one. SO i got some gr04 flagships on the way to fix that...

Oct 16, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:
I wear mine to and from school everyday man. But i will say, after losing that short cord, it sure is a hassle to have to use the long one. SO i got some gr04 flagships on the way to fix that...

agreed that long cord is really too long...  but its a lot more durable than the other one, i also use my brothers monster pro cable when he's not around just for added durability

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:
Hi i'm a student commuting back and forth from school everyday approximately 3 hours, subway and bus.
i'm aiming for a neutral sounding, good isolation, modern look headphones.
i was just debating between the Philips Citiescape Downtown and the noontec zoros.

I see the downtowns for around 50 on amazon but the greys are at 88. the noontecs are about 100.

Which you would you guys recommend? Is the extra 50 dollars for the noontecs worth it?

Any other headphone suggestions would be appreciated

From what I've read the Downtowns aren't exactly neutral.

Oct 17, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:
oh really, i haven't heard too much about them on head fi or anywhere for that matter, only on innerfidelity. But he thought very highly of them. What have you heard about them?

They're supposed to sound quite warm and coloured. There's an emphasis on the bass, as expected on consumer-friendly headphones. Apart from that there's not much that I could gather without getting stuck in the whole perspective thing.

They seem to be headphones for casual listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back