Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 21, 2018 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

SwanKnight

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for new speakers for my PC at around $100 or less. I currently have an old Logitech 2.1 but I don't remember its exact model, but it was pretty cheap at the time. I'm getting tired of the sound distortion and want something better. Also, I don't have a lot of space on my desk.

I use it mainly for watching movies. I already have a headset for games.

I narrowed it down to those three so far, but I'm open to suggestions as well:

1. Yamaha NX-50 Premium
  2. Bose Companion 2 Series III
  3. Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
What do you guys think?

Nov 21, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 14
Klipsch Pro Media 2.1
Amazon sells new for $109
Buy used for under $100.

Nov 21, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 14
Hi, I'm looking for new speakers for my PC at around $100 or less. I currently have an old Logitech 2.1 but I don't remember its exact model, but it was pretty cheap at the time. I'm getting tired of the sound distortion and want something better. Also, I don't have a lot of space on my desk.

I use it mainly for watching movies. I already have a headset for games.

I narrowed it down to those three so far, but I'm open to suggestions as well:

1. Yamaha NX-50 Premium
  2. Bose Companion 2 Series III
  3. Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
What do you guys think?
Not sure if there is much difference, but I would pick the Yamaha.
Or maybe the Creative, Bose i would pick last (but thats just me).

Nov 21, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #5 of 14
I havn't heard the Yamaha, but the Creative is definitely better than the Bose.

Creative sounds like it's tuned to sound like near-field studio monitors, and could fill that role on a budget and limited desk space.
Bose sounds like it's tuned to just 'sound big' and fill a room, and 'wow' the listener with slightly boomy bass.

Nov 21, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #6 of 14
Not sure if there is much difference, but I would pick the Yamaha.
Or maybe the Creative, Bose i would pick last (but thats just me).

It seems that the Yamaha does not ship to my place for some reason, so I guess that leaves the Creative.

I havn't heard the Yamaha, but the Creative is definitely better than the Bose.

Creative sounds like it's tuned to sound like near-field studio monitors, and could fill that role on a budget and limited desk space.
Bose sounds like it's tuned to just 'sound big' and fill a room, and 'wow' the listener with slightly boomy bass.

I'm partial to the Creative, especially since it's cheaper. Speaking of near-field monitors, what do you think of the Edifier R1280T? It currently costs $20 more than the Creative, is it worth it?

PS: I don't have a dedicated amp, I use my on-board sound card (Realtek® ALC1150).

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 14
Never heard it, so I can't give a recommendation. (it's against head-fi rules).
But if you pointed a gun to my head and forced me to chose one, it'd be the Edifier.
Bigger speaker cones produce bass frequencies better and throw bigger sound waves better and further. It's just simple physics.
Also I've owned and heard quite a few sets of both speaker types, and there is definitely this kind of trend.

But I'm mostly a sucker for wood-grain vintage style bookshelf speakers, so take this with a truckload of salt, and the truck is also made of salt.

Nov 21, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #8 of 14
Never heard it, so I can't give a recommendation. (it's against head-fi rules).
I see, np.

But if you pointed a gun to my head and forced me to chose one, it'd be the Edifier.
LOL, that's interesting way to put it.

Bigger speaker cones produce bass frequencies better and throw bigger sound waves better and further. It's just simple physics.
Also I've owned and heard quite a few sets of both speaker types, and there is definitely this kind of trend.

I tried to find a direct comparison between them, but the closest I found was a T20 vs R1280T. AFAIK the T20 is very similar to the T40 in terms of sound quality, just the T40 is a bit louder. At least, that's what I read anyways.
I like the R1280T but it's a bit costly when I factor in the shipping cost as well as the price difference. The T40 costs $138.27 ($79.00 + $59.27 shipping) while the R1280T costs $176.85 ($99.99 + $76.86 shipping).

But I'm mostly a sucker for wood-grain vintage style bookshelf speakers, so take this with a truckload of salt, and the truck is also made of salt.
Noted :)

Nov 21, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #11 of 14
Never heard of HiVi and a quick search returned mostly DIY parts.
As for Edifier, the R1280T did catch my eye and I find it tempting, it's a bit pricey though when I factor the shipping cost, so I'm still debating whether it's worth the extra money or if I should just settle for the Creative T40 II.

If you can't get either with free shipping from Amazon I'd assume you're not in the US. Chances are shipping for HiVi will have the same problem.

Unless of course both are locally available where you are. Look up the distributors in their websites. I managed to find HiVi in my city that way; Edifiers however were tricky as they only started bringing in the better stereo speakers years after I got the D1080 MkII 08.

Nov 21, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #12 of 14
If you can't get either with free shipping from Amazon I'd assume you're not in the US. Chances are shipping for HiVi will have the same problem.

Unless of course both are locally available where you are. Look up the distributors in their websites. I managed to find HiVi in my city that way; Edifiers however were tricky as they only started bringing in the better stereo speakers years after I got the D1080 MkII 08.

Yeah, I live outside the US/EU. That's why shipping is so costly.
I tried to look for them locally, but couldn't find them. Not a lot of options here and the ones I found were way overpriced.

Nov 22, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #13 of 14
Yeah, I live outside the US/EU. That's why shipping is so costly.
I tried to look for them locally, but couldn't find them. Not a lot of options here and the ones I found were way overpriced.

Problem with asking online though is that if everybody else is in a different location and situation than your local conditions then it's extremely difficult for everybody else to figure out what might be available in your area for a reasonable price.

Try looking up an internet forum for people in your area/country/etc that way you can narrow it down to people who know what products are available locally.

Nov 25, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #14 of 14
Problem with asking online though is that if everybody else is in a different location and situation than your local conditions then it's extremely difficult for everybody else to figure out what might be available in your area for a reasonable price.

Try looking up an internet forum for people in your area/country/etc that way you can narrow it down to people who know what products are available locally.

I took your advice and started to look at what was locally available. I ended up getting the Bose Companion 2 Series III because it was the only one I found here. It was a bit more expensive than the Amazon price, but the shipping was free.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back