Stupid Question
Oct 22, 2009 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jigglybootch

Headphoneus Supremus
So here's a dumb question...

Just got the Beatles mono box set. Going to rip it to iTunes, but I'm not sure if I should rip it as stereo or mono, or if it even matters. Any suggestions?

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 6
I assume that both channels were used on the discs. And unless you're going to play it back through just one speaker (which would be the purist way to do it), rip it as it is on the discs.

se

Oct 23, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #4 of 6
It's two channels, and encode it as such. BTW, if you use a lossless codec, it will recognize that it's mono and use disc space as if it was one channel. Essentially it encodes one channel and tells the decoder to play it through both speakers.

It will be more than half the size of a true stereo mix (because I guess true stereo has redundancies that make it more efficient), but still much less, maybe 65%. Try encoding the mono and stereo versions of a track on the CDs that have both (Rubber Soul and Help!) with Apple Lossless to see this.

I find that Dolby Headphone makes the mono much more listenable on headphones.

Nov 30, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirDrexl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's two channels, and encode it as such. BTW, if you use a lossless codec, it will recognize that it's mono and use disc space as if it was one channel. Essentially it encodes one channel and tells the decoder to play it through both speakers.

It will be more than half the size of a true stereo mix (because I guess true stereo has redundancies that make it more efficient), but still much less, maybe 65%. Try encoding the mono and stereo versions of a track on the CDs that have both (Rubber Soul and Help!) with Apple Lossless to see this.

I find that Dolby Headphone makes the mono much more listenable on headphones.

You nailed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back