Stupid question
Mar 26, 2006 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Nighty_

New Head-Fier
Okay, I bought a pair of Sony MDR-NX1 without knowing the cable is so short(I admit it was my first mystake with these phones).After realising that I did a dumb thing , I did a dumber thing : I cut the wires in order to make them bigger.In other words , I tried to pur a larger cable to them.Just one problem :there's no sound..no matter what I do , there's no sound.I thought it would be a simple operation, like it's with big speakers.Now I ask you:can I do anything in order to repair them ? Is there any hope for me ? (my girldfriend will cut off my head if I can't fix'em)
p.s.:I hope this is the right place for this thread

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 13
Check your ground connection at the splices. This would cause no audio in either channel. Perhaps the cable you used was bad. An easy check is to take the two splices on each end of the extension and touch them together (R-R, L-L, G-G keep the channels seperated) to bypass the extension and see if that is the problem. Make sure you double check your connections and that you connected the correct wires on each end and didn't get something crossed.

Did you solder this?

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 13
Well, after seeing that it doesn't work with the other cable , I put back the original cable although I think I always tried to put it back with only one channel.Hmm, and no , I didn't sold anything.My main concern is that I don't know how to separate well the cables and that they touch.Well, i'll make an experiment with some crappy Panasonic phones and see if it works.It's really nice to see that in this forum there's people willing to help you.I'll post tomorrow again and tell you if I managed to do anything.Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 13
While I am not familiar with those cans specifically, I do know a lot of headphone wires have a protective coating on them. When you strip and expose the wires, you may need to use a lighter or something similar, and burn off the protective coating. That may be why you were not getting a connection before.

Mar 26, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 13
Just tried the last thing with the cheap Panasonic phones and I can't do it.I can't burn the protective layer.Indeed,there's some strange material there but it's impossible to do this with a lighter ... Well, I'm so clumsy that I think I'll have to take them to a Sony repair center.Does anybody know how much could it cost me ?

Mar 27, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 13
Try dipping a Qtip in some of your girl's nail polish remover (acetone) and see if that won't take it off... Might take awhile to get it to break down... Good luck BTW that stuff is waaaay flammable. Not too good on brain cells either.

Mar 27, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by vixr
Try dipping a Qtip in some of your girl's nail polish remover (acetone) and see if that won't take it off... Might take awhile to get it to break down... Good luck BTW that stuff is waaaay flammable. Not too good on brain cells either.

Much is explained
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #11 of 13
I did it !!! I did it !!! With the help of acetone and the soldering set.Just that I did it with the short cable that came in the original pack.Can I put any cable or do I have to buy some cheap sony earphones?I have to mention that I've tried to put a larger cable from other headphones and I had no sound..I thank to all the people who helped me until now..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back