Stupid question: Why does it seem like everyone has HD650; no HD600 anymore?
Jul 22, 2005 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Yellowjacket

100+ Head-Fier
I realize that the HD650 is the "successor" to the HD600 but considering we're talking $400 headphones, there are a lot of people who own them.

I mean, are the HD600 not good enough anymore? It seems to me they would be the perfect choice for someone who doesn't have that much money ($200 refurbed). It's like if they said last year, "Man, I wish I could afford HD600s...but I hear Senn is coming out with new cans...when they get released, the 600s will drop and I'll be able to get them!"

Jul 22, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #2 of 23
See sig
600smile.gif

Jul 22, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #4 of 23
the HD650 is actually a $250-330 phone now. (approx. used-new)

Any why? cause the all-powerful head-fi machine tells you to. Or else.

(I do have one btw)

Jul 22, 2005 at 7:20 AM Post #6 of 23
From where I come from, they only stock the HD 650 and 5XX series. No HD 600 and the 580 is out of production??? I don'
t see it listed in their 05' catalogue that I got from the shop.

Jul 22, 2005 at 7:54 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
From where I come from, they only stock the HD 650 and 5XX series. No HD 600 and the 580 is out of production??? I don'
t see it listed in their 05' catalogue that I got from the shop.

While it is true that the 580 and 600 are discontinued, that doesn't mean you can't buy them online if your local store doesn't stock them.

Hell, my local stores DON'T stock any higher end cans
frown.gif

Jul 22, 2005 at 11:13 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellowjacket
I realize that the HD650 is the "successor" to the HD600 but considering we're talking $400 headphones, there are a lot of people who own them.

I mean, are the HD600 not good enough anymore? It seems to me they would be the perfect choice for someone who doesn't have that much money ($200 refurbed). It's like if they said last year, "Man, I wish I could afford HD600s...but I hear Senn is coming out with new cans...when they get released, the 600s will drop and I'll be able to get them!"

Hi,

My opinion is that the HD650 is a much better 'investment' than the HD600, in that it truly is "a generation ahead", which apparently is reflected in a more natural overall sound quality.

Things is, now there's the HD595 to seriously compete the HD600: it belongs in the same "technical generation" as the 650 and it approaches it brilliantly in sound for half the price. I mean, to me that's the more sensible choice for most people.

So (from reading your sig) I'll say that a HD595 is what you'd want
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2005 at 12:53 PM Post #11 of 23
tongue.gif
I still use my HD 600 -- for sound editing on my computer. In my main system the HD 650 has a place of honour though.

peacesign.gif

Jul 22, 2005 at 1:25 PM Post #12 of 23
The HD600's were the best headphones I've ever heard, but since I haven't heard anything higher in class, I guess that doesn't say much. They were astonishingly good paired with my Lite, to a point where I can't possibly see the HD650's being a drastic improvement

Too bad I'm broke now
frown.gif

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Hi,

My opinion is that the HD650 is a much better 'investment' than the HD600, in that it truly is "a generation ahead", which apparently is reflected in a more natural overall sound quality.

I can buy this, but then there's the question of the time period we're looking at for the investment. If I can get HD600 for $200 refurbed, I'm sure they will last until Sennheiser's post-HD650 release, even if that's 10 years from now
tongue.gif
. In the meantime, I can take the price difference b/w the 600 and 650 and put it toward an amp (if I need). I'm not saying this is what I'll do, but the monetary savings presents me with better options. And who knows, maybe in 3 years AKG or Beyer will put out phones that I think are better and I could swap to those (although the resale value of the 600 would probably depreciate greater than that of the 650...hmm, interesting conundrum there). I mean, just because the 650 is THE best doesn't mean the 600 is now a piece of crap...it's just as good as it was 2 years ago when it was THE best.

Quote:

Things is, now there's the HD595 to seriously compete the HD600: it belongs in the same "technical generation" as the 650 and it approaches it brilliantly in sound for half the price. I mean, to me that's the more sensible choice for most people.

I can't find any 595 refurbed but new they go for $185 at the cheapest so with full warranty, the prices are pretty comparable.

While the 595 is in the same "model" generation, it has more of a Grado-ish sound does it not? Closer to the stage with a smaller soundstage? IIRC, because because the drivers are angled parallel to your ear, the sound comes more "at you". I'd rather be sitting in a concert hall than a conference room - that is to say, I want to be enveloped in the sound, not have it played "at" me. The one-sided cord and ridiculosly low impedance are a nice touch though.

Quote:

So (from reading your sig) I'll say that a HD595 is what you'd want
smily_headphones1.gif

I wish the San Jose meet came sooner. I guess I'll have to A/B these cans. 2 weeks is too long to wait
frown.gif

Jul 22, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellowjacket
While it is true that the 580 and 600 are discontinued, that doesn't mean you can't buy them online if your local store doesn't stock them.

Hell, my local stores DON'T stock any higher end cans
frown.gif

I really doubt that the HD580 and HD600 are being discontinued. Where did you hear this?

Anyway regardless of price the HD600s are actually on the rise in popularity. Many people are realizing that (for them) the HD650 is not an all around upgrade to the HD600 and the older Senns are better in some ways. Others, like myself, still prefer the HD600.

Jul 22, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #15 of 23
Sometimes I suspect that if they put a "700" on the 650s and
sold them that way, a lot of people would sell their 650s and
buy the upgrade. Then they would be here posting about the
lack of veil and greater soundstage depth of their new cans.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back