Stupid question :-) I have a Dac, is coax out on my motherbord good enough
May 8, 2009 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

technetium

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys

Well I have really nice Dac on its way, and it uses a Coax input. I have a coax output on my motherboard (asus), will this sound great or do I need a soundcard with a coax outputin order to make it sound great (I have a onkyo pci se200, but I would prefer to sell it to fund the Dac)? Is there a difference between coax out on my motherboard or my soundcard?

May 8, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 4
the only difference would be in DSP output. To put it simple if you like DSP effects and EAX and such then get a soundcard that has that. Your mobo should have Dolby effects which should do nicely for movies and you're already covered for music (stereo). So no additional card needed.

May 9, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #3 of 4
depending on your cards' quality, the resolution of your system and other factors there might be a difference, even though i suspect it would be a small one. my only reason for assuming that is the amount of times i assumed there would be no difference and actually heard one.
theoretically, there shouldn't be any. practically? i even noticed a difference once, when i connected my dac usb to my pci usb card , instead of my motherboard's onboard usb outputs. how strange is that?

May 9, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by matanoosh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
depending on your cards' quality, the resolution of your system and other factors there might be a difference, even though i suspect it would be a small one. my only reason for assuming that is the amount of times i assumed there would be no difference and actually heard one.
theoretically, there shouldn't be any. practically? i even noticed a difference once, when i connected my dac usb to my pci usb card , instead of my motherboard's onboard usb outputs. how strange is that?

Perhaps there is less static via your pci card, perhaps is has some shielding or filtering.
tongue.gif

But yes I had expected this, but I haven´t been able to find any tests etc saying that all coax output are the same. And since I use asio4all with my foobar it should be the same, but again.. you know, I rather have more people saying it
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back