Stupid question about supermacro...
May 20, 2005 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

crazyfrenchman27

Headphoneus Supremus
I know this may sound like a stupid question, but do you have to turn the Supermacro on in order for it to recharge batteries?

I just got it recently and probably won't have time to listen to it for the next day or two (final's week), but I'd like the batteries to be fully charged.

-Matt

May 20, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
I know this may sound like a stupid question, but do you have to turn the Supermacro on in order for it to recharge batteries?

I just got it recently and probably won't have time to listen to it for the next day or two (final's week), but I'd like the batteries to be fully charged.

-Matt

No. You leave the SM OFF to recharge. You can however leave the SM ON constantly (burn-in your amp) while it is plugged into AC/DC using your Coby adaptor and the batteries will recharge whilst it is ON.

May 20, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 6
IMO SM Recharge functionality:

SM OFF: NiMH Recharge Batteries get fully charged relatively quickly.
SM ON: NiMH Recharge Batteries get trickle charged, and it will take longer
for the batteries to get fully charged.

Dr. Xin has written on his forums that you can keep the SM plugged in
all the time, with rechargeable batteries installed, and no harm will happen.
No harm can happen to the NiMH rechargeable batteries cause Xin has
designed the amp never to overcharge or harm the batteries or SM amp.

Matt, did you just get your SM today (Thurs.)?

I am also waiting for my upgrade SM-3 board to arrive, and supposedly
Dr. Xin sent out a batch of the SM-3 orders on Monday May 16th. I hope
I get mine tomorrow (Fri.)

Thanks!

May 23, 2005 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 6
I alway wonder if it's doing anything when I charge my SM3, very mysterious! It's too bad there's not indicator lites to indicate battery low and that the batteries are charging, but I guess that's unecessary and would just add to the cost. I've never had my batteries run out yet, I just periodically charge it over night.

Crazy... what opamps did you order with it? How do you like it so far? Mine came with the AD8610 and I just switched to OPA627 which I think are much better...

May 23, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #5 of 6
Wait, you don't have to play music through amps to burn them in? Or was that implied? I don't know that much about the burn-in thing, to be honest.

May 23, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 6
The signal needs to go through the amp so you either need music or some sort of signal. Pink noise works well but not at too high of a volume. Also, turning the amp off after a while and then back on after a few hours helps the caps to form better.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back