stung by the Hornet
Mar 26, 2006 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

MEDimann

New Head-Fier
Hi Forum,
This another story about Ray Samuels "The Hornet".
Infected by the upgrade-virus I bought it 4 weeks ago.
Contact was nice and easy, and it arrived very fast. I am very pleased with the overall appearance. It is very well made, looks and feels very distinguished. I spent the first 2 weeks with burning in, and compared it every day to my PAV2.
First, the difference was marginal, the PAV2 kept up very well. Just minor differences (made single blinded studies to find out..no significance). Almost exactly after 200h of burning in, things changed completely. The soundstage is broader, the music is comming out of complete blackness, the Violins, which were somewhat anoying with the PAV2 are smooth, crystal clear, touching, Organ sounds unbelievable, you can feel the vibration of the air. Same thing with pianos, you feel the strings.. it also has lots of punch. With less complex music, the difference is not that big. The PAV2 is still a veritable little amp, but it plays clearly in another league.
Again, I made a single blinded comparison, now the difference is absolutely clear. Even more after I added an IPOD-Dock connector.
I am floored and happy.
2-Thumbs-up or 5 of 5 ears :wink:
The downsides:
money... power consumption is high (9V block empty after 20h)...more upgrades needed (ordered RnB Senn replacement cable today)...money....
Now I am seriously worried about my wallet as i feel the urge to upgrade further.. what else is out there?
Keep listening!

Mar 26, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 17
Congrats on the purchase
biggrin.gif

What color did you get?

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 17
Thanks! It is black with golden letter..
Black goes with everything :wink:
cheers
Martin

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #4 of 17
So how hard is your wallet hurt after those 2 purchases?

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #5 of 17
PAV2 60$
Hornet 386$
hit earlier:
Dock Connector 54$
hit today:
RnB cable 188$

it starts to hurt, but i cannot stop...
But it was well spent!
It is amazing!

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MEDimann
PAV2 60$
Hornet 386$
hit earlier:
Dock Connector 54$
hit today:
RnB cable 188$

But it was well spent!
It is amazing!

Just wait until you get upgraditis.

Mar 26, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #7 of 17
even as I am suffering of the minor form, this could be a problem.. I have to work harder..
What is the next step, IYHO?

Mar 26, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #8 of 17
The Hornet is a very cool little amp. I didn't realize just how much I liked it until it was gone for a month and I was using a Supermini 3 in it's place. When the Hornet returned the differences between the 2 were obvious. I use mine rarely with my 650's but I can say you are in for a treat once you receive the RnB G52 cable. I didn't realize myo was making anymore of the G52. I love the cable.

Mar 26, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
Just wait until you get upgraditis.

Let's hope not.The condition of upgraditis is uncureable.When was the last time someone posted that they were healed of this?
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2006 at 1:38 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

even as I am suffering of the minor form, this could be a problem.. I have to work harder..
What is the next step, IYHO?

It's already too late for him, he's asked for the "next step". Since you ask, new source and amp for home.

Mar 26, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #11 of 17
Yep, it is too late. But the disease seems to progress in certain steps.
For the moment I feel that I have feeded the beast .. Now I can relax some time, until it bites again..maybe next month..
580smile.gif

Mar 26, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

For the moment I feel that I have feeded the beast .. Now I can relax some time, until it bites again..maybe next month..
580smile.gif

There's no fighting it.. Just relent and start upgrading!

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

580smile.gif

There is no time to relax, there is gear to buy.
evil_smiley.gif
Actually, enjoy what you have for as long as you can. You may find nothing more is needed (I'm laughing too). Enjoy!

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
You may find nothing more is needed (I'm laughing too). Enjoy!

Does not compute.. *head explodes*

Mar 26, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

PAV2 60$
Hornet 386$
hit earlier:
Dock Connector 54$
hit today:
RnB cable 188$

But it was well spent!
It is amazing!

Thats worse than me! I just got into amps, and I got a PA2V2 w/ NiMH batteries and a cardas hpi interconnect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back