Stumptown meet Impressions: - Annual Portland Oregon meet Impressions
Sep 6, 2009 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

sachu

Headphoneus Supremus
Post your impressions here..

Kudos to Andrew our sponsor for pulling off an awesome meet. Larry great work with the name tags..love the suitcase rig.

My impressions later.

Sep 6, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 49
I had a great time my self. Everyone was friendly, and had some good conversation. Bunch of equipment this time around... next time i will make an effort to listen to most of it. Even had some tasty food there as well.

So all in all an excellent time in my opinion (Though I will admit my back is quite sore haha).

Sep 6, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 49
Picture017.jpg

I vote this my best in show^^
(Maybe not fair to compare this to the killer Stax offerings I heard which here amazing, I might need more experience with electrostatic HP's before passing judgment on them)

He had Juno Reactor's Shango playing through there which was the first big plus, bass sources don't get much better then that. I've never even seen an amp with a separate PSU like that before, amazing. This is where I got to try out my much needed comparison of the HD650's and my D2000's. Both sounded exquisite through this setup, but the difference between the two wasn't as large as I thought it would be. They defiantly both have their own sound however.

The Denon's bass impact was exactly where I wanted it, very present and very involving. The amount of power behind it really surprised me, what a fantastic setup.
The AKG k701 through the chain and the same song were very comfortable, but seriously lacked the bass and impact of the HD650 and the D2K's, I wasn't too impressed there.

Also, who's table was this again? I didn't get a user name, thank you so much!!!

Dr. Strangelove: I learned to stop worrying about display thickness and love the CRT :p

Sep 6, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 49
Many, many thanks Andrew, this meet was great. The insurgence of new gear was awesome, and it certainly didn't hurt that so much of it was high end.
biggrin.gif
Never would have expected we actually would have had an electrostat shoot-off. And I honestly didn't expect them to sound so different from each other (especially the O2s).

More later!

Sep 6, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 49
Nice slide show. You guys really had some cool diy stuff there and nice mix of equipment.

Sep 6, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #7 of 49
Impressions:

Great food

Very glad to have finally got to hear the JH13

So it is good? no question; is it OTT good , no. It scales well with amplification and source and is pretty stellar out of a DAP. It will not replace full size headphones imo. The universals are a little cumbersome, i would believe the customs would take care of that and improve sq a little further. My surprise was how close the JH10 sounds to the 13 while the 11 was totally off for me - tuned to the dark side.

I loved the WA6SE with the sophia princess 5U4G , just a very cool amp and shows Jack's attention to detail and passion for what he does. It was a perfect match for the ampless D7000 which I initially didn't take to amped from the little TTVJ Millett.

Being a meet in my backyard, there was no shortage of Orthos and thanks to luvdunhill, we had the almighty T50v1 grace our meet. To quote Brian "it's just not right" referring to the fact that it shouldn't be allowed to sound so damn good.

I will openly admit o being biased towards the orthos and not even the JH13 was enough to draw my allegiance. One of the more interesting sub themes was the O2 vs ESP950 fracas. They both have strong points but for the price point, the ESP950 is a serious bargain in the ES world.

Opinions were drawn over the DAC shootout with my preference going to the assemblage DAC2 over the ultraclocked, silver wound RAM citydac.

I thought that it would be the perfect place to unveil the new uber stacker ii but the power must have been all over the place as it kept tripping - it has been rock solid for the past 2 weeks and Alex agreed to allow me to show it off , I would have liked to please all the folk who wanted to get to hear it but the stars did not align.

Pics:

Picture012-1.jpg

What else?

The Maximo IM590 - I know Andrew sponsored the gig and one would expect some payback or loyalty but for those of you who know me, if i don't like something I usually don't have much to say. I compared this iem to some of the lower end iems turbos, .... i forget their names but there was only one other that was tuned to anything near to what I prefer. Andrew has spent a fair number of years in the recording industry and has a good ear, this I respect after spending some time with his iems. They are not the be all and end all but for their meagre cost of $60 - serious contenders for people like me who tend to leave things on public transport.

I did get to hear the HF2 - they're grado's , who woulda thunk.

I know I am forgetting to mention a ton of folk and tidbits but I went to hang out with the people and had fun listening to some of the gear.

strangelove - sorry i ran out of time and had to dash off before hearing your electrets and enjyoing that monstrous CRT

..dB

Sep 6, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #9 of 49
This was a fantastic first meet for me.

Special thanks to dBel84 and Andrew for all the help and information I got.

I have to agree with dBel on the Maximo IM590...Definitely the best IEM I heard today in the lower end price range. Far better than the Turbines IMO.

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #10 of 49
At work with a firewall so PIC's will have to wait 'till Monday, but I had a great time. Thanks to Sachu and Especialy Andrew for the Gig. Nice spread ( Not Enough Cookies though{never enough cookies!}. I agree with the impressions of the Maximos. When I heard them against the other IEMs ie. Klipsch X10, I was quite impressed and when I found out they were in the <100.00 range I was pretty much blown away. And as I'm so bad with names, This was before I even realized they were the sponsors product.
I ended up bringing way too much but I was able to "pay forward" a couple of DIY connectors I had laying in a box and got some great SFI advice from Donald (dbel84).
Look forward to the next meet. I get some PIC's up soon.

Cheers.

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #11 of 49
There was quite the netbook presence at this meet, sign of the times I suppose:
IMG_8381.jpg

It's naked!
IMG_8382.jpg

IMG_8388.jpg

Talk about serious custom diy...
IMG_8393.jpg

Wooooo
wink.gif

IMG_8397.jpg

IMG_8398.jpg

IMG_8403.jpg

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #13 of 49
seeing these pics (great images btw) reminded me of Boomy's vintage pioneers - so many forgotten gems out here but these should be on anybodies radar , especially modded as Boomy has them. Incredible collection of connectors and mini xlr cables - a cable guy in our midst
wink.gif
..dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back