Stuipd Questions: 'Hate 'em.
Mar 17, 2006 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

pawlowski6132

Banned
I can't help but get annoyed with ALL the, "Looking for a great sounding amp/headphones/source but don't want to spend more than $100." questions. What the hell is that all about???? If there were such a thing why would anyone in there right mind buy anything else???

Bottom line is you get what you pay for. If you can't or don't want to spend a lot of money you're going to get junk.

Mar 17, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #4 of 15
A lot of people couldn't fathom spending over $100 on phones. Before I came here, I though $30 was stretching it. Although . . if you've been reading the forum for at least a few days, you should know the whole "amp/source/recording" shebang. Some people just ask for too much with so little. You know, "I want a huge soundstage, near-perfect sonics, great build; but I'm using them with my DAP unamped". They read the forums, yet still ask this?

Mar 17, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Bottom line is you get what you pay for. If you can't or don't want to spend a lot of money you're going to get junk.

This is not always true. There are great bang for the buck bargains to be had that are not junk. Sometimes you pay more and get a fancy case or enclosure.

DIY amps
SR60
KSC35
Portapros
Go Vibe
PA2V2
Used items in the for sale forum

Mar 17, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
A lot of people couldn't fathom spending over $100 on phones. Before I came here, I though $30 was stretching it. Although . . if you've been reading the forum for at least a few days, you should know the whole "amp/source/recording" shebang. Some people just ask for too much with so little. You know, "I want a huge soundstage, near-perfect sonics, great build; but I'm using them with my DAP unamped". They read the forums, yet still ask this?

I know. Crazy huh? I guess I was the same way. I guess everyone starts the same way. I felt so guilty at first and really "heard" what I wanted to to validate my spending.

I guess the real question is, how can I maximize my budget low or high??

Mar 17, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01
This is not always true. There are great bang for the buck bargains to be had that are not junk. Sometimes you pay more and get a fancy case or enclosure.

You know, I don't really believe that. Can you give an example??

Mar 17, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
You know, I don't really believe that. Can you give an example??

*cough*Bose*cough*

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #9 of 15
ehh ferget it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Everyone has to start somewhere. Didn't you?
smily_headphones1.gif

I acknowleged that earlier. But I always knew that really high fidelity would cost me. I'm still not there. Do you think you are?

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

I acknowleged that earlier. But I always knew that really high fidelity would cost me. I'm still not there. Do you think you are?

REALLY high fidelity costs in the thousands. But there are plenty of great sub 100 budget cans that can be recommended and i think such threads are fine, since they might help one more person in this world enjoy their music instead of getting stuck with a crap can.

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
REALLY high fidelity costs in the thousands. But there are plenty of great sub 100 budget cans that can be recommended and i think such threads are fine, since they might help one more person in this world enjoy their music instead of getting stuck with a crap can.

I don't disagree. I'm still talking about the people that want/expect/think they can get that "REALLY" high fidelity equipment without paying for it.

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #13 of 15
I think a good sweetspot for "pretty damn good (home) rig but won't kill you" is around $1k if you shop right. Low/mid-fi can sound pretzel yo.

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

I can't help but get annoyed with ALL the, "Looking for a great sounding amp/headphones/source but don't want to spend more than $100." questions. What the hell is that all about???? If there were such a thing why would anyone in there right mind buy anything else???

There's nothing wrong with being poor and looking for a decent sound quality.I mean, most of us were once poor students.
I could easily recommend a decent sounding rig for $ 300.
E.g. a modded AKG K340 connected to a Audiodigit T 2020 amp with a soundcard as source doesn't sound shabby and way better than what I had at my disposal when I was a student.
I'm currently assembling the aforementioned rig for a peer that has a hard time to keep his family above water.
Not on par with my $ 3000 main rig, but I could live with it.

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #15 of 15
You have to remember that most people are used to consumer level prices. With average consumers in mind, a lot of them will consider a full headphone setup for $100 a good deal. You can't really blame them for not knowing any better.

I remember buying my very first what I considered "expensive" headphone, the Sennheiser HD280. What was even more surprising was that my brother turned me onto Sennheiser. (He is one of those people that consider Bose to be the greatest audio invention in history).. After breaking it after a year, I started looking for $100 headphones. I stumbled into this place with the $100 headphone budget mentality. The longer I stayed, the more I was willing to pay for better headphones. It just went downhill from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back