Stuff or Fluff?
Mar 18, 2003 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mkmelt

500+ Head-Fier
I recently started mining my CD collection for overlooked gems, and decided to play my copy of Marvin Gaye's album, What's Going On. This is an early CD release, a 2 for 1 album with Gaye's, Let's Get It On on the same disk.

My question, for those of you who are familiar with this artist/work, is whether it is the real deal artistically and musically or just 70s fluff. Anyone?

Mar 18, 2003 at 2:43 AM Post #2 of 4
Isn't that for you to decide? Like it because you like it, not because others find it to be valid. I find that since I've done this I've been enjoying music tenfold.

Happy listening mkmelt
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2003 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by mkmelt
I recently started mining my CD collection for overlooked gems, and decided to play my copy of Marvin Gaye's album, What's Going On. This is an early CD release, a 2 for 1 album with Gaye's, Let's Get It On on the same disk.

My question, for those of you who are familiar with this artist/work, is whether it is the real deal artistically and musically or just 70s fluff. Anyone?

Well, it's my opinion that whether an artist is musically, or artistic is pretty much an individual, or subjective choice. However, if I would have to vote on this particular artist I would definitely go with the artistic, and musical over the fluff.

Mar 18, 2003 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 4
MKMELT,

Other peoples opinion are pretty much irrelevant. As long as you enjoy it that is all that matters. You can only use reviews as a guide.

Regards Marvin Gaye. Let's Get It On and What's Going On are absolute classics IMHO
biggrin.gif
that stand head and shoulders above the rest. The fact that 30 years on, people are still listening to and discussing these albums must say something about them.

BTW, if you like Marvin Gay then check out Otis Redding. I've recently gotten into both and have found some really fantastic music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back