Stuff in the west. :)
Jun 30, 2002 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Well, we are traveling to the west next week. New Mexico, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, etc.

My dad is going on a business trip, and we're coming along.
smily_headphones1.gif

So, any tips on where to go, etc?

Jun 30, 2002 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 9
When in Vegas do not miss ........ ooooh forget it your 16. Circus Circus is fun. The pools at the hotel before noon. Great sites there. At the Grand Canyon buy pictures don't take them. The professional ones are much better. Instead take ones with the family you will remember. If you can go down in the canyon. See the meteor crater if you are there. Drink lots of water even if you are not thirsty or sweaty. Your sweat evaporates and you can become dehydrated and get terrible headaches. The sun is very intense this time of year, cover your neck and wear a hat, plenty of sunscreen. Flagstaff is a nice place to bum around for a day same with Albequerque. Bring binoculars, get away from the city lights and look at the stars. The clear air allows you to see more than you will ever see at home. I lived 90 miles from Death Valley for 9 years and never got tired of the stars and shooting stars.

Jun 30, 2002 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 9
A few New Mexico suggestions. Drive to the top of Sandia Peak in Albuquerque for the view. Santa Fe has some nice attractions.
Bandolier National Monument is worth a stop, as is Chaco Canyon. So is White Sands National Monument. Carlsbad Caverns is worthwhile as well.

Jun 30, 2002 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 9
No doubt about the dehydration thing. Even when i went to florida and california, i got dehydrated quickly. The thing was, i didnt think i was thirsty, so i didnt drink. Then i got cranky, tired, irritable, annoying, and had a really bad headache.

That was in california. So when i went to florida i was prepared. Drank water all the time. Still got dehydrated
biggrin.gif
. I guess it was because i didnt stay in the shade enough, and i wasnt used to the climate.

DRINK LOTS OF WATER!

and bring a good music listening setup....
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 9
I would highly recommend staying off the interstate highway system and staying on the state highways. The terrain is much more interesting.

Jul 2, 2002 at 6:52 AM Post #7 of 9
Hmm...i live in this area (sort of) i'd skip vegas...it really sucks if you are not 21. I don't plan to ever go back there, way too sleazy for me. I suggest you check out the natural parks and stuff. If you are in texas, swing by the alamo. If you have a chance to go to phoenix, check that out. Might also be fun to check out an indian reservation. If you must go to vegas, there is one spot free from all of the gambling/tourism/bs which is an art gallery called the avant garden...there must be some info about it somewhere on the net. I think morrisey plays at the house of blues also...

Jul 2, 2002 at 12:13 PM Post #8 of 9
I'd skip Vegas too, especially if not 21. If you do go try to see the dolphins at the Mirage, and if you want to stuff yourself with huge amounts of reasonable food, the buffet at Belagio. The show "O" is great - but gambling on the whole is pretty boring. If not for a friend's birthday I wouldn't have been there. Check out all the people at the tables - they don't smile much.

Jul 2, 2002 at 1:38 PM Post #9 of 9
If you get the chance to swing up to Southern Utah (St. George area) check out Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, and Cedar Breaks Nat'l Park. Just as breathtaking as Grand Canyon in their own way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back