studying with headphones
Mar 29, 2006 at 5:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
do you find it difficult to study/work/reasearch wearing headphones? does it distract your thinking? can you listen to speakers but not phones? do you need crossfeed? what sort of music do you listen to while studying?

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #2 of 26
I can study with phones for hours, but find that certain subject to force me to limit what I'm listening to to certain types of music. At times I have to stop the music entirely.

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #4 of 26
Id love to add more hours in a day to headphone but sadly I cant. I guess Im just too intense so I throw myself 100% into whatever Im doing so anything taking the focus off task #1 bugs me.

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #6 of 26
Studying with music is difficult with me with most styles of music, but doing actual homework is actually enhanced by the 'phones. I definitely have less problems with 'phones than with speakers. I guess despite wearing open headphones, it still gives me the sense of isolation, if not actual isolation.

Mar 29, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #7 of 26
It is extremely hard for me to read and listen to music at the same time. Reading, especially complex text books and novels for class, takes too much concentration for me to do while listening to music.
Pleasure reading and math, on the other hand, I can sometimes do with headphones on, and usually with speakers.

Mar 29, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #8 of 26
Most of the time when I'm studying or doing homework by myself I'll be listening to music. The only time I find it really distracting is when I'm analyzing something for my music theory class. Trying to think of how a piece of music is supposed to sound while listening to something completely different is very hard to do.

Mar 29, 2006 at 10:56 AM Post #10 of 26
i couldn't concentrate at all if i had music on during reading/studying just to much of a distraction. i guess thats just me. on public transportation i'm always seeing people reading a book while listening to their dap, i'm always thinking how could they do that.

Mar 29, 2006 at 11:09 AM Post #11 of 26
I'm the opposite of a lot of people here... i can only study when i listen to music, i guess my mind gets bored with focusing on only one task at a time...

Mar 29, 2006 at 11:19 AM Post #12 of 26
If I'm interested in the studying or homework then I can do it just fine while listening to music. If it's for a class I don't enjoy then I just end up listening to the music and staring blankly at whatever page I was working on.

Mar 29, 2006 at 11:22 AM Post #13 of 26
I have no problems studying with headphones on. Even the words don't distract me, as I already know them all
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 11:41 AM Post #14 of 26
Music makes me study better! It helps me concentrate better because it forces me to zone something out. Music comes through my "peripheral hearing" (a term I made up that's analogous to peripheral vision). I hear it, but I'm not really listening. Without music, it's more difficult to maintain a high level of concentration for hours and hours. Don't get me wrong though, I can study with or without.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 12:03 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by )v(ajin_R_
I'm the opposite of a lot of people here... i can only study when i listen to music, i guess my mind gets bored with focusing on only one task at a time...

I'm exactly the same way, my mind tends to wander onto other things if I study in silence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back