Studio Monitor Set-Up
Aug 19, 2011 at 9:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

twomonger

New Head-Fier
I was looking to purchase a pair of KRK RP5G2s along with a Zero DAC. Could anybody offer me help as to how to set these two pieces of equipment up with a Macbook Pro or give me advice into which cables I need to purchase?

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 4
I have almost the exact same setup, except with a Maverick D1 dac and RP6G2s. I'd get an optical cable to go from the MBP to your DAC, and then RCA cables to go from the line-out on your Dac to the jacks on the back of the monitors. Unless you're running cable over a long distance, I wouldn't worry about balanced cables.

Aug 21, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #4 of 4
Nah, they're not a necessity. Having said that, I started off with what you're planning and ended up using them anyway.

Where will you be controlling the volume from, your DAC? I had a PC -> studio monitor setup, ran 2 x RCA -> XLR from my audio source to a Nano Patch for volume control, then balanced TRS -> XLR from the Nano Patch to my Tascams. That way I maxed out all the volumes and just used the volume knob on the Nano Patch. This setup helped with ground loop hum issues as well (must've been the balanced cabling).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back