studio monitor headphones under 200 usd would prefer less
Jun 3, 2014 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

StarFall

New Head-Fier
whats the current best bang for buck headphones? i need them to be accurate since these will be my main production solution replacing my broken studio monitors. they should be non fatiguing and able to be worn for long studio sessions. sound should not be exaggerated especially when it comes to bass. comfort is a plus. they should not break easy, be durable and have a good build quality.i hope im not asking too much for the price.

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 14
AKG K550s headphones, usually there are good deals for used and refurbs on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKG-K550-Closed-Back-Reference-Class-Headphones-/151316992847?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item233b32134f

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 14
I like my Shure SRH440s, flatter than the SRH840. AKG K240 Studio is also close to neutral with recessed bass and some hints of warmth in the upper bass with a mild peak in the treble. Very extended and accurate treble for picking out details in a mix, but you can't really rely on the bass.

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 14
Closed or open? In ear, on ear or over ear?

In ear - Etymotic ER4PT - "textbook neutral", bit of a bump in the mids around 1-3khz, best sound isolation, very good detail extraction, little sense of space
Over ear, open - AKG 601/612, again a bump around 1khz, otherwise very flat, very good detail extraction, huge sense of space, leaks sound because it is open
Over ear, closed - Sennheiser HD280 Pro - classic monitoring headphone, well balanced if not excellent in all regards
On ear, closed - V-Moda XS - slight bump in the bass, a little resonance in the upper mids. otherwise fairly even and detailed
On ear, closed - Sony 7506, lacks bass (pretty much a mess below 100hz) but otherwise even through the mids and little bit of a sparkly treble. good for monitoring vocals
On ear, closed - beyerdynamic DT250/DT100 - ubiquitous in the recording world, balanced with a little roll off in the low bass and low treble

Jun 5, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 14
  Closed or open? In ear, on ear or over ear?

In ear - Etymotic ER4PT - "textbook neutral", bit of a bump in the mids around 1-3khz, best sound isolation, very good detail extraction, little sense of space
Over ear, open - AKG 601/612, again a bump around 1khz, otherwise very flat, very good detail extraction, huge sense of space, leaks sound because it is open
Over ear, closed - Sennheiser HD280 Pro - classic monitoring headphone, well balanced if not excellent in all regards
On ear, closed - V-Moda XS - slight bump in the bass, a little resonance in the upper mids. otherwise fairly even and detailed
On ear, closed - Sony 7506, lacks bass (pretty much a mess below 100hz) but otherwise even through the mids and little bit of a sparkly treble. good for monitoring vocals
On ear, closed - beyerdynamic DT250/DT100 - ubiquitous in the recording world, balanced with a little roll off in the low bass and low treble

Hmm I'm not sure I completely agree with this. I think the 280 Pro is quite lacking in literally every department except for isolation compared to the Shure SRH440, and that's within the same kind of under-100 price range. I wouldn't call them well balanced at all, the treble is rolled off, there's recessed low treble, recessed midbass, and exaggerated sub-bass. The 440 is closer to flat and brings out the upper treble detail a lot better, while remaining essentially completely flat except for a slightly rough upper midrange, but not very fatiguing to my ears which are pretty sensitive to upper mid fatigue. The 7506 is acutally an over-ear headphone, but the cups may be too small for you. That doesn't really mean they're on-ear. Anyway, they don't lack bass at all in my experience, that headphone is almost dead flat even through the bass except for a highly aggressive upper mid spike and very rolled off upper treble. Fine, maybe the sub-bass is lacking just a bit but I wouldn't call it a mess.

This is coming from someone who has heard an HD600, which I and many, many others would consider a "reference" headphone and I 100% agree. That's my definition of neutral that I've actually heard, and the SRH440 is shockingly close to sounding like a 600 but without quite as insanely amazing treble extension, slightly rougher mids, and maybe a little "muddier?" bass.

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 14
  Do post impressions, those are on my consideration list

I love them 
Big expansive sound, loads of detail specially in the bass 
I love the value, it's mind boggling that they are available so cheap. It's seems funny how there's folk who think they are too good to be true and therefore overrated. For me there were significantly better value  over all others I tried and a good deal cheaper than anything else that seems to get recommended as alternatives. The only thing I'd say is if you like to listen noisy spaces or are likely to annoy others by listening at very loud levels they may not be for you due to their semi open design, that said they are a lot quieter than the Grados and haven't pissed my Mrs off yet.

I tried Grado 225s, German Mastro 450 pros (which were closest sounding) ATH M50's (dull bass clouded) Sennhieser HD650 (too mid / bass heavy for me) B&W P7's (small sound stage but nice tight sound) 

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #9 of 14
I love them 
Big expansive sound, loads of detail specially in the bass 
I love the value, it's mind boggling that they are available so cheap. It's seems funny how there's folk who think they are too good to be true and therefore overrated. For me there were significantly better value  over all others I tried and a good deal cheaper than anything else that seems to get recommended as alternatives. The only thing I'd say is if you like to listen noisy spaces or are likely to annoy others by listening at very loud levels they may not be for you due to their semi open design, that said they are a lot quieter than the Grados and haven't pissed my Mrs off yet.

I tried Grado 225s, German Mastro 450 pros (which were closest sounding) ATH M50's (dull bass clouded) Sennhieser HD650 (too mid / bass heavy for me) B&W P7's (small sound stage but nice tight sound) 
Cool thanks. Don't they have a little metallic sound to the mids though? The frequency response graphs and Sonic sense seem to make the headphone sound like it has a slight coloration around 2 kHz.

Jun 15, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #10 of 14
I don't detect a coloration but I'm not too experienced a listener. If I pull the EQ down in the 2k.range it doesn't sound better / flatter. They sound better 'rounded' with my dac magic xs than without, but they are far from burnt in.

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #11 of 14
I don't detect a coloration but I'm not too experienced a listener. If I pull the EQ down in the 2k.range it doesn't sound better / flatter. They sound better 'rounded' with my dac magic xs than without, but they are far from burnt in.
Thanks. I kind of am in love with AKG for nostalgic sake so I am considering those cans.

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #12 of 14
The electronic music artist Stimming uses AKG 702s and Shure SRH 840s (in conjunction with his very high quality studio monitors, but he's a big fan of using both). Personally I think his production is top notch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back