Stuck between hd598 and hp200
Jun 13, 2014 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MrSpaceFox

New Head-Fier
This will be my final amateur, monotonous thread regarding my audio dilemma, I swear...

I would simply like to know from someone with more "hands on" experience to recommend one of these two pair of phones to me. Working with a budget around $200...

I initially wanted an ADxxx series, but the japan import proved to be me hassle than it was worth. I will be gaming with a "mod-mic" and listening to high quality tracks with an E6 amp/realtec onboard audio across many genres. I don't know if The smooth, lush sound of the sennheisers, or the fun, eccentric sound of the 200s will be more suitable. Also consider the fact that the 200s come with a nice carrying case.

Thanks for any future input, dear audiophiles.

Jun 13, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 8
Having listened to the HD 598s, I really enjoyed their warm sound. The bass and mids were fantastic, unlike any other headphone I think I've heard, but the treble was by no means lacking. It felt rolled off, but it made the headphones feel gentle rather than veiled. They are pretty costly, though, and the HD 558s are pretty much the same short of "refinement." I'm not sure I believe that, but I haven't heard the HD 558s. You can mod the HD 558s to sound more like 598s, anyway, and save quite a lot of money. Since the HD 598s aren't over $200, now, I can recommend them. I'd probably suggest they're worth over that price if I didn't read so many reports saying that the 558s sound very similar.

Not sure about the Soundmagic HP200.

If importing ADxxx series from Japan is the problem, why not just buy them domestic? Amazon has them for less than $200; not less than the Japan imports, but you also save money since you don't have to buy a calendar.

Jun 13, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 8
This will be my final amateur, monotonous thread regarding my audio dilemma, I swear...

I would simply like to know from someone with more "hands on" experience to recommend one of these two pair of phones to me. Working with a budget around $200...

I initially wanted an ADxxx series, but the japan import proved to be me hassle than it was worth. I will be gaming with a "mod-mic" and listening to high quality tracks with an E6 amp/realtec onboard audio across many genres. I don't know if The smooth, lush sound of the sennheisers, or the fun, eccentric sound of the 200s will be more suitable. Also consider the fact that the 200s come with a nice carrying case.

Thanks for any future input, dear audiophiles.

Having listened to the HD 598s, I really enjoyed their warm sound. The bass and mids were fantastic, unlike any other headphone I think I've heard, but the treble was by no means lacking. It felt rolled off, but it made the headphones feel gentle rather than veiled. They are pretty costly, though, and the HD 558s are pretty much the same short of "refinement." I'm not sure I believe that, but I haven't heard the HD 558s. You can mod the HD 558s to sound more like 598s, anyway, and save quite a lot of money. Since the HD 598s aren't over $200, now, I can recommend them. I'd probably suggest they're worth over that price if I didn't read so many reports saying that the 558s sound very similar.

Not sure about the Soundmagic HP200.

If importing ADxxx series from Japan is the problem, why not just buy them domestic? Amazon has them for less than $200; not less than the Japan imports, but you also save money since you don't have to buy a calendar.

Thanks for the input. I would definitely choose the 598s over the 558s because they're in my budget and don't require a driver ( if I had a driver I would have ordered some dt880s or q701s days ago)...
I just feel as if the 558s are just playing it safe; the look and reviews makes me feel like I'm purchasing a Cadillac my great grandmother would be driving, rather than the luxury European coupe they were going for. The he300s are $150 atm, but have too many reported issues. It's tragic, but I feel like the creme color of the sennheiser sis holding me back, and the hp 200s look sexy and supposedly sound very similar to the hd800s.

What can you say about the 598s soundstage? Compared to the ad700x or 900x?

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for the input. I would definitely choose the 598s over the 558s because they're in my budget and don't require a driver ( if I had a driver I would have ordered some dt880s or q701s days ago)...
I just feel as if the 558s are just playing it safe; the look and reviews makes me feel like I'm purchasing a Cadillac my great grandmother would be driving, rather than the luxury European coupe they were going for. The he300s are $150 atm, but have too many reported issues. It's tragic, but I feel like the creme color of the sennheiser sis holding me back, and the hp 200s look sexy and supposedly sound very similar to the hd800s.

What can you say about the 598s soundstage? Compared to the ad700x or 900x?

Oh believe me, I think that if you were caught with the HD 598s on your head, it would catch a lot of positive attention. I think they look pretty gorgeous, like a luxury sedan. Pads are a somewhat brighter shade of brown than the images online let on. They're also not as big, but they're still extremely comfy.

I haven't heard the ADxxx series, much as I want to, but they're renown for their spectacular soundstaging. Few headphones can match or beat them, especially in their price range. Sennheiser HD 598s sound very open. Not more open than any other open headphone, but the soundstage is pretty much what you'd expect from an open headphone; that is to say, very good. They'd be downright unfair for gaming. I don't know how the bass would be compared to the HD 598s, but the 598s felt less punchy and more lush- and full-sounding. They're great for gaming, but not as much as the ADxxx series.

Jun 14, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 8
Oh believe me, I think that if you were caught with the HD 598s on your head, it would catch a lot of positive attention. I think they look pretty gorgeous, like a luxury sedan. Pads are a somewhat brighter shade of brown than the images online let on. They're also not as big, but they're still extremely comfy.

I haven't heard the ADxxx series, much as I want to, but they're renown for their spectacular soundstaging. Few headphones can match or beat them, especially in their price range. Sennheiser HD 598s sound very open. Not more open than any other open headphone, but the soundstage is pretty much what you'd expect from an open headphone; that is to say, very good. They'd be downright unfair for gaming. I don't know how the bass would be compared to the HD 598s, but the 598s felt less punchy and more lush- and full-sounding. They're great for gaming, but not as much as the ADxxx series.

I think you may be right about the 598s...

My other option as if now is the dt990 pros with a nice little tube amp for the same price. Do you think the beyerdynamics a would outperform the sennheisers?

Jun 14, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #7 of 8
I think you may be right about the 598s...

My other option as if now is the dt990 pros with a nice little tube amp for the same price. Do you think the beyerdynamics a would outperform the sennheisers?

No, because considering the price point they're at and the "performance" provided, it's a matter of personal opinion. Do you want a V-shape sound, or warm sound? More or less treble? First option: DT990 Pro. Second option: HD 598. Only thing I can tell you for sure is that the DT990 Pros will need an amp before the HD 598s do.

To be honest, the DT990 Pro isn't something that I, personally, would pick. I would choose the DT880 Pro - which I've tried and liked. It's quite neutral with an emphasis on treble, but is not overly bright or fatiguing. They cost more, but that only helps to demonstrate the point I'm trying to make: pick the HD 598s.

I'm not the expert on amps, but your options are incredibly limited as far as tube amps go if you want to buy a DT990 Pro and remain within budget. Bravo Audio has maybe one or two tube amps for under $100, but I'm unaware of the quality of the product. I don't think the money spent is directly proportional to how good a product you get, but I know of few people who own tube amps for their headphones that cost less than three figures. Someone might be able to chime in. You could even do tube rolling (changing tubes on the amp) to get a different sound. But if money is an issue now, don't bother.

I spent a lot of this post trying to tell you about your options, but once more, I think you should pick the HD 598s, between the two. Seems efficient enough to be powered by a PC made in the last several years.

If you want a headphone with a more bassy lean that's also very good for gaming, consider the Philips Fidelio X1s. They're a little out of budget, but I assure you they need no amp. They're not what I would characterize as warm, per se, but definitely a fun headphone - and very, very comfortable. Well worth the price, if you're interested and can accept the minor flaws.

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 8
No, because considering the price point they're at and the "performance" provided, it's a matter of personal opinion. Do you want a V-shape sound, or warm sound? More or less treble? First option: DT990 Pro. Second option: HD 598. Only thing I can tell you for sure is that the DT990 Pros will need an amp before the HD 598s do.

To be honest, the DT990 Pro isn't something that I, personally, would pick. I would choose the DT880 Pro - which I've tried and liked. It's quite neutral with an emphasis on treble, but is not overly bright or fatiguing. They cost more, but that only helps to demonstrate the point I'm trying to make: pick the HD 598s.

I'm not the expert on amps, but your options are incredibly limited as far as tube amps go if you want to buy a DT990 Pro and remain within budget. Bravo Audio has maybe one or two tube amps for under $100, but I'm unaware of the quality of the product. I don't think the money spent is directly proportional to how good a product you get, but I know of few people who own tube amps for their headphones that cost less than three figures. Someone might be able to chime in. You could even do tube rolling (changing tubes on the amp) to get a different sound. But if money is an issue now, don't bother.

I spent a lot of this post trying to tell you about your options, but once more, I think you should pick the HD 598s, between the two. Seems efficient enough to be powered by a PC made in the last several years.

If you want a headphone with a more bassy lean that's also very good for gaming, consider the Philips Fidelio X1s. They're a little out of budget, but I assure you they need no amp. They're not what I would characterize as warm, per se, but definitely a fun headphone - and very, very comfortable. Well worth the price, if you're interested and can accept the minor flaws.

I was just about to order the dt 990s with the bravo tube amp, a higher quality tube, and the fiio e3 DAC... This is $250, but you may be right in saying I'd just be better off with the 598s alone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back