Struggle to find a new pair of closed headphones (<200$) already tested a lot.
Mar 2, 2019 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MasterOran

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

i search for a new pair of headphones. Right now i use AKG 518LE, however they are more broken than alive. I fixed them several times.
Therefore i need a new pair. I already tested a bunch of other but none really satisfied my needs.

I mainly use them at work or on the road, therefore they need to be closed.
As iam a noob iam not sure about most terms regarding headphones, but i would like them to have a strong "clear" bass and a good feeling of a open stage.

The price should be around 100 and 200 USD, if you have suggestions wich lays a bit over 200USD thats fine as well.

Iam not sure about blue tooth, my current phones got a jack, but my next one probably wont. So BT is a plus but i guess its fine to use an adapter form them.

Headphones i tried so far:

Beyerdynamic DT770 (250 Ohm) :
Bass was precise but could be stronger.
Instruments sounds nice but some "S sounds" were strange.
I liked the "stage"

Beyerdynamic Custom Studio:
Bass was good but wasnt not that precise.
The stange felt a bit "pressed"

ATH-MSR7:
These ones were hard to judgde.
I liked the bass a lot and the instruments were fine as well.
But the sounded somehow "stuffy"

AKG 701:
I know they are open ones, but i gave them a try.
Bass was to weak, but i liked them.
Slow songs were really good but some fast songs were somekind of "boring"

Sennheiser HD 25:
They felt cheap manufactored compere to the others, bass was strong but felt unpreciously
I was between awefull and nice

AKG K550:
Bass was a bit weak but preciously.
They felt very open staged compared to the other, i really liked that.

I hope someone could come up with some nice ideas for other potential headphones.

Thank you in advance

Mar 2, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #3 of 11
It might be tough to get the stage you want out of closed backs. But I'll throw in a suggestion for my fav pair of portables: V Moda XS. Bass is great, mids are all there and just enough high end for me. I really love the balance of these, but I admit that some might call them warm or thick, as there's not a ton of airiness (high end extension). Despite this they sound very clear & detailed -- I call them refined. I went through maybe 7 different sets before discovering these (had them for about 4 years now).

Mar 4, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #8 of 11
I really need to get my ears on some of the suggestions so far.

most seems promissing. the V moda seems a bit to fancy for my opionion but lets see maybe i can give them a try

Check out the Audio Technica M60x maybe, they're hailed as the most comfortable on-ear so don't write it off on that alone.
They looks good, they will be on my list for the next sound check round.

Btw i located in germany, if this makes a difference regarding some manufactures.
So far i guess i preffer on ears compared to over ears, but just very slightly (mostly due to compact optic)

May 23, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #11 of 11
Try the Meze 99 Neo - easy to drive, scale pretty well, I like them a lot.

For Bluetooth I ended up with Sony’s WH-1000MX3, which are amazing for noise cancelling (my main reason for these). They have a lot of bass but it’s pretty congested. Good for NC but not great. I tried the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 which I like the look and feel of better, and the sound of you have an Android device (with AptX) was pretty great...but I have an iPhone, and they don’t do AAC, only SBC. And that just sounded significantly worse, and since I’m more likely to use those with a phone I passed. But may be worth a listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back