Strong Bad would like...
Apr 24, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 15
LOL! I love how the 2nd guitar player watches the 1st one while chugging his beer as he waits for his turn to shred.

It was good though. I've never heard these guys before. Very fast and melodic at the same time. Must check them out.

Thanks!

Apr 24, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 15
strongbad should sing the chorus! "i've been walking on clouds, flipping off rainbows!"

Apr 24, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 15
"Save the last email for MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Apr 25, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 15
OMG, I cannot wait to see these guys live
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

May 4, Jaxx Nightclub
smily_headphones1.gif

Herman Li is a guitar god.

Apr 26, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #7 of 15
They got nothin on tarantula! That was more hair than I would care to see again. EVER. Was that silent bob standing there at the last scene, second to left? I think so. I don't want to admit this, but I actually kinda liked it. Those guys are unreal on the guitar. I mean, seriously. I wonder how many takes it took to get that all down... hmm... Only thing it was missing was creeping rusty meat and more "d-e" words...

check my sig...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 15
To-night!
Wo-man!
We'll be cruisin' down Sepulveda!!

Apr 27, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #9 of 15
These guys are a lot more fun to watch (play guitars) than they are fun to listen to. They have to be breaking some sort of dexterity world records. I'm having a hard time coming to grips with a man being able to do that in real time.

Apr 27, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiRE
These guys are a lot more fun to watch (play guitars) than they are fun to listen to. They have to be breaking some sort of dexterity world records. I'm having a hard time coming to grips with a man being able to do that in real time.

I hear ya. The whole time I was listening to that, I was thinking to myself, "this sounds like they sped it up" as it did tend to sound like "chipmunk guitars". Would be a shame if it were true, but I imagine it isn't...

Apr 27, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladeophile
I hear ya. The whole time I was listening to that, I was thinking to myself, "this sounds like they sped it up" as it did tend to sound like "chipmunk guitars". Would be a shame if it were true, but I imagine it isn't...

there are effect pedals that can multiply plucked notes. that's what i was hearing in some of the licks here.

Apr 27, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #13 of 15
Dragonforce is a one-trick pony (melodic metal performed flawlessly at 5 billion beats/minute), but what a trick it is. I am not afraid to admit that I am a big fan (when I'm in the right mood).

I too have a hard time believing that they are capable of pulling off guitar stunts like that outside of a studio, so out of morbid curiosity I bought concert tickets to see them live in an attempt to call their bluff. I can't wait to see if they can pull this off live - I will know in less than a week.

As far as guitar effects used (as a guitar player of 25+ years) I am not hearing any note-doubling effects being used. I hear distortion (obviously), and maybe a little bit of reverb and perhaps a little flange and a harmonizer. The rest is just dexterity, muscle memory, finger strength, hand/eye coordination and many many years of practice. I think the note doubling that one might be hearing is that both guitar players are playing very fast passages together in harmony (perhaps in thirds or fifths). Which at that speed is pretty impressive to do.

Guitarists playing at these speeds is nothing new (check out google video for a Guy named Michael Angelo - possibly the fastest guitarist in the known world). What impresses me with Dragonforce is the entire package, and the fact that the guitar players play those outrageously fast passages in harmony! It is like they both share the same brain.
wink.gif

Dragonforce is certainly a very entertaining novelty for me - fun stuff.

Apr 27, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #14 of 15
I'm seeing them next week here in Philly. It should be a good show because of their amazing guitar work, if nothing else.

Apr 27, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
Guitarists playing at these speeds is nothing new (check out google video for a Guy named Michael Angelo - possibly the fastest guitarist in the known world).

i've seen that video of Michael Angelo. that over the neck stuff is just insane. i'll admit that i laughed abit at how "metal" these guys are, but the more i watch it, the more it just blows my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back