streaming services recommendations
Jan 28, 2013 at 7:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

markm1

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm investigating the world of streaming and looking for recommendations. I know some people who basically have stopped buying CD's and listen almost exclusively to services like Rhapsody. So, before I take the plunge, I'm looking for feedback.

Do you use a streaming service?

If so, what do you luse: Spotify, Rhapsody, etc?

Do you use it via an iphone, Ipad, or PC? Are you happy with the service? Do you stream for much of your music listening? Does the amplification improve the sound as it would listening to MP3 files? My understanding is that the quality is fairly compressed.

I'm thinking about the Sonos  system as well for my house.

Thx!

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #2 of 47
I have been a Rhapsody customer for years and although there are some frustrating things about the service I have been overall very pleased with it.  For my situation especially it works well.  I have two teenagers who listen to a lot of music and I can only imagine how much money I would have poured into iTunes if not for Rhapsody.  I have the 3 device plan for $15 a month using iPhones. 

I do almost all of my listening off line by downloading music onto the iPhone.   Therein lies one of the frustrations.  Rhapsody's software development team always seems to lag behind the other services as far as implementing new features.  For example they just got around to releasing an iPad  optimized app a couple of months ago despite the fact Apple is on the 4th generation of the device.  And while they are still promising an iPhone 5 optimized app I am still waiting.  Having said that though they do seem to have one of the largest selections of music and do have an option for high quality downloads which sound very good to my ears. 

I also use the service to stream music throughout my house using the Logitech Squeezebox which is of course similar to the Sonos system.  That part makes me very happy and has been rock steady for all the years I have been using it. 

Overall I would definitely recommend the service.

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 47
This would probably be more use in the music or members section then here!

Anyway I use Live365 through a webbrowser on a mac thats plugged into a dac thats then plugged into a line out of a denon dm39.

Either Live365, or ARFM through Itunes via the same route :)

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 47
Quote:
I have been a Rhapsody customer for years and although there are some frustrating things about the service I have been overall very pleased with it.  For my situation especially it works well.  I have two teenagers who listen to a lot of music and I can only imagine how much money I would have poured into iTunes if not for Rhapsody.  I have the 3 device plan for $15 a month using iPhones. 

I do almost all of my listening off line by downloading music onto the iPhone.   Therein lies one of the frustrations.  Rhapsody's software development team always seems to lag behind the other services as far as implementing new features.  For example they just got around to releasing an iPad  optimized app a couple of months ago despite the fact Apple is on the 4th generation of the device.  And while they are still promising an iPhone 5 optimized app I am still waiting.  Having said that though they do seem to have one of the largest selections of music and do have an option for high quality downloads which sound very good to my ears. 

I also use the service to stream music throughout my house using the Logitech Squeezebox which is of course similar to the Sonos system.  That part makes me very happy and has been rock steady for all the years I have been using it. 

Hmmmm...do you know if there is an app for kendles or nooks? Say, when you stream thru Squeezebox and want to listen to HP, is there a jack actually on the squeezbox device or would  you just listen to your iphone? And, how's the sound with amplification? Is it similar to listening to your tunes files?

Thanks!

Mark

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #5 of 47
Not sure if there is a native Kindle or Nook app.  Definitely one for the iPhone and Android.  As far as your question about listening through headphones on your device if you are using an iPhone you simply download the music to the device and listen that way.  Or you could just stream if you prefer although if you are not on wireless you can use a lot of cellular data.  The squeezebox is more for listening through your home stereo system.

And I have found sound quality to be very good.

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 47
There mare many music streaming services available ( Rhapsody, Rdio, Xbox music, Sony Music Unlimited and local carriers ect) through Windows, Andriod, Apple APPs and has various qualities with offline listening feature are pretty good..

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #7 of 47
I use Spotify with the premium service which is $10 a month.  I use it at home, work, and phone since I drive constantly.  I rarely stream on Spotify.  I just have a playlist that syncs offline which downloads the songs I drag into them and downloads them at a bit rate 320.  My favorite and primary use for it is, when I listen to it at work, it will automatically download the playlist and update it on my phone so that I have a local copy when I make my driving trips.

I am happy with the service.  I listen to a lot of obscure music and Spotify has a decent amount of them.  As long as you don't have really high expectations, the service is good.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #8 of 47
I agree they all have their plus and minuses.  For me Rhapsody was best price wise so I put up with some of its limitations-  like no built in equalizer or a bit rate of 320.  Highest you can go on Rhapsody is 192.  Even at that rate though I find it pretty easy to fill up a 32 GB iPhone.  I like to have a lot of music on hand.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #9 of 47
I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I find Google Music/Google Play is pretty convenient for streaming - of course it's music you own already, but it saves you storage if that's something you're interested in. You can also download the music again as many times as you want if you use the app on your computer, and like 5 times with the browser version. It's also free.

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #10 of 47
Thanks guys....lots fo goo things for me to mull over!

Jan 29, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

I have a 13 year old daughter who listens to a lot of pop. I'll have to check out Squeezebox along w/ Sonos. I don't have an Iphone. I'm still kind of old school. But, I'm constantly buying new music mostly in CD form and listen a fair amount to an old 2nd Gen Ipod. I haven't spent much time accessing music from a computer.

But, I'm thinking if I could access our Itunes as well as streamingmusic through a system like the Squeezebox or Sonos through a stereo and also be able to download stuff from something like Rhapsody-that would be really attractive. That might lead me toward an Ipad as anothe way to listen to music via HPs or maybe an Iphone.  I also need to get an external hard drive or something, because we're maxing our PC out w/ music.

I'm a new headfier and I'm just getting into the HP thing at home...so, looking for solutions to put it all together
beyersmile.png

Thanks again for your helpful ideas,

Mark

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #12 of 47
If I am not mistaken, Logitech is killing off most of their Squeezebox line. But I used to own a Squeezebox classic. Nice device.

However, there are so many different streaming options. Might want to do some research over at AVS in their Networking, Media Servers & Content Streamers forum.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #13 of 47
Good call....Thanks!

Feb 1, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #14 of 47
Feb 2, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #15 of 47
Quote:
I've been a Rhapsody user for years, and I've been pretty satisfied. However, I just found out they are, so far, not updating their client for Windows 8 (they're focusing on the website instead), which led me to start looking around a bit. I've decided to try MOG first after reading these:
  1. "Comparing the Audio Quality of Streaming Music Services at Home and Portably" on Inner Fidelity
  2. "Does anyone use mog?" here on head-fi

Thanks for that....MOG looks pretty good from the posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back