Strange issue with receiver?
Mar 3, 2011 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

andrewliu6294

Head-Fier
I've been using a Pioneer VSX-D557 receiver to power my speaker setup at home, and today I just noticed a very interesting (and baffling) problem, which did not occur a couple months prior.

Up until recently I was running a spdif coax cable from a uDAC-2 to the receiver, and everything sounded perfectly fine.

However, I decided to try the new DAC I received, which only has RCA outs.

When I plugged everything in, the left channel of the receiver was much, much quieter, basically to the point where you can't hear it.
With digital input, everything is balanced and sounds perfect. I've tried every analog input available on the back of the receiver, all with the same result.

I've also tried jumping the tape monitor in/out RCA plugs, and the receiver itself does not have a preout/main-in jumper system.

It's not the cables, and it's not the DAC itself, as both the cable and the DAC work perfectly on another receiver.

Any ideas of what's going on, and how to possibly fix this?

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 2
Since the receiver works ok with spdif it means the power amps are ok but you might have a problem with the analogue input stages ( a preamp after the source selector or a muting circuit ). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back