Strain power rectifier question
Nov 29, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 8
ok, so I can just use this? GSIB4A60-E3/45

Also, I'm a bit confused about capacitor types. It says to use electrolytic capacitors on the power supply side of things, and I know what these look like but there is a very large list of types on Mouser and electrolytic isn't one of them.

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 8
Are you sure you're capable of safely working with high voltages? They can and will kill you if you touch the wrong things.
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #5 of 8
Well, I think so... I've been doing low-voltage builds for atleast 6 years and I know how to handle high voltage, one hand, draining caps etc, I've just never actually BUILT anything before. I figure there's got to be a first for everything and I'll do all the research first on amp safety

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dude_500 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, so I can just use this? GSIB4A60-E3/45

Yes, or make your own with diodes and snubber caps or ultra fast diodes.

Quote:

Also, I'm a bit confused about capacitor types. It says to use electrolytic capacitors on the power supply side of things, and I know what these look like but there is a very large list of types on Mouser and electrolytic isn't one of them.

err...

You know, for one who claimed to be familiar with electronics and "just not tubes" you sure are missing quite a bit. You'd better rethink this project. One unexpected brush is going to send you somewhere you don't want to be.

I am pretty sure, with your recent questions, you've got little to no experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure you're capable of safely working with high voltages?

IMHO, I don't think so.

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

there is a very large list of types on Mouser and electrolytic isn't one of them.

Search for "Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors", you will find a thousands of them.

Try
# 647-UCS2V101MHD for C1 - C3
# 647-UVZ1A103MHD for C4.

Or if you prefer Axial caps maybe try
# 647-TVX2V101MDD
and
# 647-TVX1A103MCD
instead

Nov 29, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #8 of 8
First this.

Quote:

I'm wondering exactly what part(s) is in the "3A" rectifier on the heater output. What would I get on mouser.com? thanks!

Then this.

Quote:

Next a voice of reason.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure you're capable of safely working with high voltages?

The answer.

Quote:

Well, I think so... I've been doing low-voltage builds for atleast 6 years and I know how to handle high voltage, one hand, draining caps etc, I've just never actually BUILT anything before. I figure there's got to be a first for everything and I'll do all the research first on amp safety

Face....Palm
I think so when it comes to line voltage, isn't going to cut it. If after six years working with electronics you still don't know what an electrolytic cap is, just stop before you kill yourself. Your not gonna fool us. We can tell that your slightly green.

Honestly, start with something less difficult like a SOHA. That should help you get familiar with the basic concepts of tubes.

Some light reading
Boozhound Laboratories

Users who are viewing this thread

Back